Used 2006 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

2006 Nissan Xterra
By EX

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a 94 Camry for 13 years prior to this and needed a better vehicle to haul camping equipment and handle forest roads. I loved the style and power of the 06 Nissan and it got the best SUV of 2006 award so I went with it. I bought it with 17k on it at a pretty good price at that time ($20800). Before 18K, it needed the valve covers replaced! Though they were under warranty I was not impressed! The plastic interior is wimpy and heaven help you if you have dogs! The exterior paint is lame too! Gas mileage is not as good as they claim in the city (more like 12) but the highway is pretty accurate at 21. The wet cargo area above would be better served by a sunroof.

Style, power, cargo room and tie downs.

Sunroof! Better paint. Better quality! No squeaks at less than 20k! Valves before 20k?? Vehicle stability light issue? Gas mileage?

Utility and off road
By mkrash84

2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

On road: avg 20.5 city/up to 24 hwy mpg. Great utility vehicle, have carried large fridge, washer/dryer, many other home remodeling items. Long road trips are nice with wife and 2 large dogs. Great engine performance, able to sleep in back diagonally (I'm 6'2"). 4x4: have done gnarly 4x4: ground clearance decent, articulation decent, tracks well, departure angle fair, in 4 Low, throttle not sensitive enough, 2Low should be geared lower, shocks OK, rear bottoms out easily (suspension design issue), stock tires fair. Not on par with Jeep off road, but a very good starting point, will have to modify for serious 4x4. Had to replace clutch at 17k, but under warranty. No other problems.

Engine and utility. Nice acceleration and flow through gears on road. Can fit an amazing amount of stuff in cargo area. Vision is very good out of rear windows. Mileage. Basic 4x4 is quite good for stock vehicle. Fairly quiet on hwy. Fun to drive.

Lower gearing with 4Lo (though 1st gear is very good). Vision sub-par out of windshield due to front columns forward position, hampers ability to see around tight corners. Rear view mirror obstructs view as well. Rear suspension. Stock stereo is complete crap. Jumpy rear at high speed on bumpy hwy.

Love it!!
By kansas

2006 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have only had my Xterra for a few days and I can't even imagine that I was ever looking for something else. I love it 110%. It's not only fun to drive but has great acceleration, roomy interior and lots of great places to hook stuff as well as great storage space. The only downfall I have seen is that it is hard for a person to get out of the back seat, it is too narrow, I love the hard plastic on the inside, it is easy to clean. I am still getting used to the feel of the steering wheel. All in all I have no complaints and would recommend this SUV to anyone. One my first tank of gas I got 19 in town. The stereo system is awesome. I love the roof rack as well as the first aid kit.

Hard plastic interior, sound system, roomy, acceleration, the first aid kit is cool.

Upgrade to leather.

Function over Form
By JB

2006 Nissan Xterra X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Had it for 10 months (17,000 mi), and I love it just as much as the day I drove it off the lot. This vehicle is for "outdoorsy" pragmatists who crave functionality and are willing to give up some bells and whistles (leather, GPS, etc.) for performance at a great price. Other than lack of auxiliary jack, gas mileage (I get 17 city/20 hwy) is only real drawback, but you get a whole lot of performance for it. Many have knocked all the hard plastic in the cockpit, but I'd rather have extra money in my wallet than upgraded trim. The Xterra offers excellent visibility, ground clearance, handling, and acceleration, which make it fun to drive both on and off-road. The consumer ratings say it all.

265-HP, 4-L V6; standard roof rack; easy to clean cargo area with plenty of hooks; shift-on-the-fly 4WD.

Standard auxiliary jack.

Outstanding vehicle for the price
By Heath

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've put 11,000 miles on my Xterra S model so far with no problems whatsoever. This car is absolutely amazing in almost every aspect. The look and stance of it is obviously rugged and powerful, and the inside lends itself to functionality and practicality quite well. If you've got a lot of stuff to take with you, this is the SUV for you. Fantastic perfomance on and off road - I've taken it four-wheeling in some pretty intense mud multiple times and it doesn't come close to losing traction. Gas mileage is disappointing, with my very best so far 18 mpg on the highway. Plastic material can seem a bit on the cheap side, especially the insides of the doors and the dash. Overall, though, a great buy.

4wd, exterior look, performance, drivability, price.

Better gas mileage, without sacrificing performance (it can be done!), standard fog lights, more scratch-resistant plastic throughout.

• SUV