2006 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
After much review...
By JVP on 05/30/06 04:57 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV X 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

... I finally decided on the Xterra after looking at just about everything that had 4 doors and a hatch. I have 2 kids, one in a car seat, but hated the thought of giving up my truck for an SUV. The Xterra has great road presence (sits high, feels strong) and has well thought out interior features. I always choose power over mileage when faced with one or the other, and while the mileage isn't that bad (22 highway according to the sticker), the power is wonderful. I am also very pleased with the ride and the suspension. It's built very, very well (Titan's frame, etc.) It also has a youthful appearance, which never hurts a guy my age.

Street machine with real offroad cred
By Whitney on 05/23/06 08:53 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Nissan did a great job with the 2006 redesign, esp. the engine upgrade. Handles great on the road. Tight suspension, great pickup, quick starts. Quiet on the highway. No sacrifice in offroad performance. This is a perfect vehicle for around the town driving during the week and offroad trips on weekends. Design and interior are well thought-out with racks from Yakima to handle whatever your gear may be--skis, surfboard, bikes, packs, dog... Stereo sounds great. Great 360 visibility from the cab. Seats 4 comfortably except for the climb. Can change 2 to 4-high to 4- low with locking rear dif. Makes a great utility vehicle.

Great car for my boys and dogs!
By bluedog on 05/22/06 09:07 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV X 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have always had an SUV but had to get a sedan when I had children. The car life was killing me. I have two active boys (camping, hiking, soccer, football, fishing) and two dogs that were tearing my car up. So far we have gone camping in this and to one long distance tournament. It has been a great vehicle so far. Nobody in my family has had one complaint yet. Love the extra compartment on rack for dirty cleats and stinky fish. The back cargo area cleans up great too. There is plenty of leg room in back for adults and growing children. I got the bumper to bumper 100,000 mile warranty to cover the vehicle through note and then some. Co-worker's is 250,000 miles with no problems.

Love it!!
By Thunder on 05/19/06 23:34 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Got my 06' 4WD Xterra, basic "X" model a week ago. I'm lovin' it. Great power, great handling, great view from way up high. I can see why it's the Motor trend SUV of the year. Nothing luxurious about it, but with all that Nissan packed in to this truck.. Mid $22K for a 4WD, 265 hp, auto + is as good of a deal as you're going to find. Ride is a bit bumpier than a standard sedan but it is a true off-road capable truck/suv after all.

Great SUV
By Doug on 05/13/06 05:06 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a 2003 Xterra and it was ok. I traded that in for the 06 and what a difference. I love its off road capability. This SUV is very capable on road and the ride is much smoother than the older body style. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone.

My first Sensible Choice
By Raj on 04/29/06 07:11 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great Off Raod vehicle...true for DC roads too!! Satisfactory mileage ... considering you get what is estimated by EPA. Little bouncy on city roads. great pick up. SE has a very good turning curvature and very good traction in snow/heavy rain.

Don't pay MSRP! Great mid-size SUV.
By Jon, So. Texas on 04/23/06 11:14 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just bought (4/06) my 2006 white X- Terra SE, pretty much loaded, including the Side Airbags and Tow Package (options SO1, W94, N93, F10, L92, B10, M10). I bought the wheel drive since I'm only on the road. MSRP Sticker was $28,115, I paid $24,650+tax&title after the $1,000 rebate. Maybe I could have done a little bit better on the price, but this was the only X-terra with the side airbags in town, so I went for it! The power is great, which is a trade- off for the so-so milage... I like the power. The SE's options has some additional nice items (17" wheels, interior trim, fog lights, trip computer), but the best one is the 300-watt Rockford Fosgate system. Buy yours $3,500Read the full review

Nissan gets it right....
By Damian on 04/05/06 18:46 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just recently picked up the 2006 X- Terra and boy am I pleased. It has a very smooth ride at high speeds, corners like a car, and has a lot of cabin and storage room. It has a five- star side impact rating, and was voted 2006 Motor Trend SUV of the YEAR!! My only knock is the gas mileage, which isn't bad, but at 21/16 it could be a little better. But in it's exchange you are getting a hell of a vehicle with some styling, not like your uninspired Ford Escape or Trailblazer out there. All in all, a very dependable vehicle that you can be proud to own.

Great off road vehicle
By Sid Byers on 04/03/06 06:32 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV Off-Road 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've been getting 18 mpg for the first 1200+ miles overall. Seats are very comfortable, control layout is excellent. Transmission shifts perfectly, and the ratios are spot on. The traction control while off road really works great, you just keep going forward with very little wheel slip. I'd buy this vehicle again!

Puts the S and U in Your V
By tropx on 03/29/06 12:46 PM (PST)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Tried a 1st gen Xterra a couple of years ago and was unimpressed. Cool styling, but too noisy inside, gutless (even the S/C model), and crude overall. Great off-road, though. The new X is nothing like its predecessor. It still has the OR chops, but its refinement is a quantum leap ahead of Gen 1. I am impressed with its quietness on the highway. Ride quality is firm but fairly smooth. Sharp handling, fun to drive, plenty o' power. A great cruiser, yet also a bona fide off-roader--NOT a quasi-SUV wannabe. A great choice if you have only one vehicle for commuting AND playing in the dirt. Be prepared at the gas pump, though--so far I average 17 mpg (90% highway) on winter gas.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.