Used 2006 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

My second Xterra (after the original)
By Jay

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Having previously owned the original model, I was not looking to buy another one until I test drove this beast. I was so impressed by the power and torque and the fact that the salesman let me drive it home for a whole day! That night I took it close by to a favorite hiking trail and was impressed by the off-road capability and just the overall comfort and convenience. I've now had it for 2 years and still loving it. I've taken it to numerous camping/backpacking trip, off-roading, hauling furniture and it has passed with flying colors. This is one vehicle that lives up to its ads and commercials-great job Nissan!!

Sweet engine, great visibility, very capable off-road prowess, good torque, excellent ergonomics, plenty of storage and tie downs, efficient roof rack and storage, nice overall appearance.

More comfortable seats (too firm and stiff), throw in a free sunglass holder already(!) and sunroof.

Good Xterra
By jmwsandan

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall we are very happy with our 2006 Xterra. Our only complaints are minor. Fuel economy isn't great, but we knew it wouldn't be good going in. We are also less then thrilled with the back seat. Once you're in, it's comfortable, but getting in and out is a hassle with the rear wheelhouse in the way.

Power and acceleration are good, although they do contribute to poor fuel economy. We also like the overall appearance of the Xterra.

Rear seat access.

Great Buy
By Matt

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This SUV is a great purchase. It's functional and looks great. It handles perfectly off road. Even in a 2 ft. snowstorm it had no problems while other suv's were in the ditch. I wish the gearing in the transmission was set up a little different, but otherwise I love this car and will keep it until it dies.

Roof racks, cargo compartment, CD player, comfort and ride.

Gearing on the transmission, option for an external temperature guage and compass.

Love it!
By pinkyjones

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV X 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got my Xterra last November and love it! I never had an SUV before and was afraid I wouldn't be able to handle it. It handles great and is easy to drive. The gas mileage is not the greatest but is better than I expected. Tons of cargo room and lots of extras like extra outlets to charge stuff, cargo tie downs and netting to hold groceries. My only complaint is the stock tires. They do not grip well when it is wet. I also replaced the radio since the stock radio was lame.

Handling, power, tinted windows, ground clearance, back cargo door is easy to close.

Tires, stock radio.

2006 Nissan Xterra
By EX

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a 94 Camry for 13 years prior to this and needed a better vehicle to haul camping equipment and handle forest roads. I loved the style and power of the 06 Nissan and it got the best SUV of 2006 award so I went with it. I bought it with 17k on it at a pretty good price at that time ($20800). Before 18K, it needed the valve covers replaced! Though they were under warranty I was not impressed! The plastic interior is wimpy and heaven help you if you have dogs! The exterior paint is lame too! Gas mileage is not as good as they claim in the city (more like 12) but the highway is pretty accurate at 21. The wet cargo area above would be better served by a sunroof.

Style, power, cargo room and tie downs.

Sunroof! Better paint. Better quality! No squeaks at less than 20k! Valves before 20k?? Vehicle stability light issue? Gas mileage?