Used 2006 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2006 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

The best SUV
By RCKEV

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I picked up my Xterra after driving Explorers for 12 years. This is the best truck I have ever owned. It performs flawlessly whether going in town shopping or to my favorite mtn bike trail in the mtns, it has been perfect. I avg 18-19 in mixed driving. I have never been so happy with an suv. This thing is twice the suv my Explorer was. Better engine better ride all around sound. I'll be driving this one till it falls apart

Styling, engine features. The compliments. It's offroad ability. This thing is a mtn goat. On pavement ride. My explorer always seemed to have some vibe or shake. Like I could never get the tires balanced

Rubberize the interior like the dash and doors. The plastic scrapes too easy. Bring us the diesel motor from EU. Offer a painted bumper pkg. I hate to use armorall type products. A rear glass panel that opens so you don't have to open the whole hatch. Longer front arm rest.

After Extensive Testing....
By X-Country Roam

2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my X in June of 07 with 18,000 miles on it. Since then, I have driven this thing almost 30,000 miles, from Chicago, to northern Michigan, to Myrtle Beach, to northern Ohio, in light floods, blizzards, and sand. No trouble digging itself out of 3 foot snow drifts, even a 4 foot ditch (when I was stupid, and turned the traction control off). Wonderful comfort and easy to pack for long trips. I tested the "top impact" rating with a telephone pole last winter. (Black ice, my fault, not the X's.) Kept me and my passengers safe, roof held up no problem. Holds up very well in heavy summer traffic, 30 below temps, blizzards, floods, and anything else you can think of to throw at it.

Built like a tank, locking rear end and 2 speed xfer case, traction control, totally reliable, great power, good handling for such a tall truck, solid REAL frame, full-sized spare, can pull itself out of ditches, through snow, can handle ANY weather conditions. Can pack a LOT in it, lots of tiedowns.

Tougher plastic interior (scratches easily, especially where seat belt latch rides on side pillar). Fix the traction control issue from factory (wiring harness issue, ONLY problem I have had).

33000 miles and still going
By van

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Knew I would have to drive this vehicle for a while in order to give an honest assessment. It has been a great vehicle. Super engine, torque at any speed, and this is not a small vehicle. I have taken it light off-roading without issues, could definitely take much more abuse than I've put it through. Have driven it from Washington to Arizona and Arizona to Texas and back without problems. Cavernous cargo bay when the seats are folded down. Doors and windows close with a solid "thunk". Xterra is the rugged man's SUV, super utilitarian. It's a vehicle that can go from dirt to pavement with unanimity, and haul all your stuff. Oh, and at this price point how can you beat it??

Powerful engine, solid build, utilitarian capability

Frictionless cargo bay, crappy stock stereo, overly sensitive tire pressure monitor, some mild ergonomic issues

My second Xterra (after the original)
By Jay

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Having previously owned the original model, I was not looking to buy another one until I test drove this beast. I was so impressed by the power and torque and the fact that the salesman let me drive it home for a whole day! That night I took it close by to a favorite hiking trail and was impressed by the off-road capability and just the overall comfort and convenience. I've now had it for 2 years and still loving it. I've taken it to numerous camping/backpacking trip, off-roading, hauling furniture and it has passed with flying colors. This is one vehicle that lives up to its ads and commercials-great job Nissan!!

Sweet engine, great visibility, very capable off-road prowess, good torque, excellent ergonomics, plenty of storage and tie downs, efficient roof rack and storage, nice overall appearance.

More comfortable seats (too firm and stiff), throw in a free sunglass holder already(!) and sunroof.

Good Xterra
By jmwsandan

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall we are very happy with our 2006 Xterra. Our only complaints are minor. Fuel economy isn't great, but we knew it wouldn't be good going in. We are also less then thrilled with the back seat. Once you're in, it's comfortable, but getting in and out is a hassle with the rear wheelhouse in the way.

Power and acceleration are good, although they do contribute to poor fuel economy. We also like the overall appearance of the Xterra.

Rear seat access.