Used 2006 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Good Xterra
By jmwsandan

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall we are very happy with our 2006 Xterra. Our only complaints are minor. Fuel economy isn't great, but we knew it wouldn't be good going in. We are also less then thrilled with the back seat. Once you're in, it's comfortable, but getting in and out is a hassle with the rear wheelhouse in the way.

Favorite Features

Power and acceleration are good, although they do contribute to poor fuel economy. We also like the overall appearance of the Xterra.

Suggested Improvements

Rear seat access.

Great Buy
By Matt

2006 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This SUV is a great purchase. It's functional and looks great. It handles perfectly off road. Even in a 2 ft. snowstorm it had no problems while other suv's were in the ditch. I wish the gearing in the transmission was set up a little different, but otherwise I love this car and will keep it until it dies.

Favorite Features

Roof racks, cargo compartment, CD player, comfort and ride.

Suggested Improvements

Gearing on the transmission, option for an external temperature guage and compass.

Love it!
By pinkyjones

2006 Nissan Xterra X 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got my Xterra last November and love it! I never had an SUV before and was afraid I wouldn't be able to handle it. It handles great and is easy to drive. The gas mileage is not the greatest but is better than I expected. Tons of cargo room and lots of extras like extra outlets to charge stuff, cargo tie downs and netting to hold groceries. My only complaint is the stock tires. They do not grip well when it is wet. I also replaced the radio since the stock radio was lame.

Favorite Features

Handling, power, tinted windows, ground clearance, back cargo door is easy to close.

Suggested Improvements

Tires, stock radio.

2006 Nissan Xterra
By EX

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a 94 Camry for 13 years prior to this and needed a better vehicle to haul camping equipment and handle forest roads. I loved the style and power of the 06 Nissan and it got the best SUV of 2006 award so I went with it. I bought it with 17k on it at a pretty good price at that time ($20800). Before 18K, it needed the valve covers replaced! Though they were under warranty I was not impressed! The plastic interior is wimpy and heaven help you if you have dogs! The exterior paint is lame too! Gas mileage is not as good as they claim in the city (more like 12) but the highway is pretty accurate at 21. The wet cargo area above would be better served by a sunroof.

Favorite Features

Style, power, cargo room and tie downs.

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof! Better paint. Better quality! No squeaks at less than 20k! Valves before 20k?? Vehicle stability light issue? Gas mileage?

Utility and off road
By mkrash84

2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

On road: avg 20.5 city/up to 24 hwy mpg. Great utility vehicle, have carried large fridge, washer/dryer, many other home remodeling items. Long road trips are nice with wife and 2 large dogs. Great engine performance, able to sleep in back diagonally (I'm 6'2"). 4x4: have done gnarly 4x4: ground clearance decent, articulation decent, tracks well, departure angle fair, in 4 Low, throttle not sensitive enough, 2Low should be geared lower, shocks OK, rear bottoms out easily (suspension design issue), stock tires fair. Not on par with Jeep off road, but a very good starting point, will have to modify for serious 4x4. Had to replace clutch at 17k, but under warranty. No other problems.

Favorite Features

Engine and utility. Nice acceleration and flow through gears on road. Can fit an amazing amount of stuff in cargo area. Vision is very good out of rear windows. Mileage. Basic 4x4 is quite good for stock vehicle. Fairly quiet on hwy. Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Lower gearing with 4Lo (though 1st gear is very good). Vision sub-par out of windshield due to front columns forward position, hampers ability to see around tight corners. Rear view mirror obstructs view as well. Rear suspension. Stock stereo is complete crap. Jumpy rear at high speed on bumpy hwy.