2006 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
Real SUV
By PW Xterra on 08/04/06 13:18 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Xterra S 4x2 with autmatic. This truck is the most fun to drive out of any I have ever driven. The throttle response is excellent. The engine outperforms any SUV I've driven. It's not a bad gas guzzler, although it burns more fuel than a Ford Escape or Jeep Liberty. it pays off from the Fords and the Jeeps when it comes to reliability. If you buy any truck like one of those, it'll be in the shop more, and you'll pay for it there. Besides, the Xterra is much more versatile for any type of driving than those are. the fold flat seats have been perfect for me. This SUV is exactly what I need. It's got all the basics, organized so that its design is effective for a daily driver.

Best Choice for a First, New SUV
By acegear on 08/03/06 22:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I previously drove a used 02 Jetta. Likeing the handle of the road I had in mind a small SUV. My brand-new Xterra is everything but small yet not an overkill on sight and cost. It's a great transition to an SUV. Great quality, smooth appearance yet intimidating. Ease of performance and functionality. Best investment I've ever made. - 22 Tx

Back to xterra
By grahamcracker977 on 08/02/06 19:08 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Had a 2001 Xterra, loved it but it lacked power (only 170 HP back then and hesitated at 2000 rpm) and felt like a tin can (doors very light). Only problem was auto windows going out. Drove a 2003 Frontier and 2005 Dodge Hemi 1500 (hello Gas prices and expensive service requirements), I went back to Nissan and tested out the 06 Xterra. Would have went 4X4 but don't do too much off roading in Houston. The difference is incredible. More power, no more hesitation and it feels like a safe/substantial vehicle now. So happy to be back in this workhorse. MPG on the way to work on highway as high as 27. Beats 16 in the Hemi and unlike the Dodge, I know it will go longer than my car note

The Swiss Army Knife of SUV's
By Kendall on 08/01/06 07:54 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

In comparison to my previous SUV purchases, 1) Jeep: The worst automotive experience I've ever had, and 2) Mitsubishi Montero: A mediocre performer, the 2006 Xterra is the perfect blend of performance and comfort for thousands less. The 265 HP engine makes freeway blending a breeze and provides smooth power for backcountry exploration here at the Grand Canyon. There are dozens of easy and inexpensive add-on racks, nets and carriers for every toy I want to strap on, plus a 5000 lb. towing capacity.

Buy One
By Brandon on 07/26/06 16:28 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the second Xterra I have purchased and I am sure I will be buying more. I use my vehicle for work, home repairs and vacations and it couldn't be a better fit. Amazing stability control with simple to use 4 wheel drive means its safe in all conditions. Killer stereo, good looks and convenient design make me like it even more. Pulls 5,000 lbs no problem and still gets 22+ mpg on the highway (not pulling 5k).

Great SUV
By luvmyX on 07/20/06 08:54 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have usually owned trucks, but I thought I would like the versatility of an SUV and I was right. I could not be happier. It comfortably accomodates my family of four plus whatever gear we need to carry. The gas mileage is about what I expected, better than the fullsize, but still pretty decent for the amount of performance you get out of the 4.0 V6.

Great SUV
By Michael on 06/28/06 10:01 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After looking around, we decided that the Nissan Xterra was the best deal for the money -- cost less than Toyota, better then Jeep. It has been great so far -- reliable, helpful, definitely big enough for family stuff and my kayaking. Only downside -- lower gas milage than the Honda Civic it replaced -- the the ability to get places, drive in snow, and store stuff outweigh that.

Almost great
By Jim on 06/22/06 13:25 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, I like it. It's fun to drive and and it sits up high enough to be able to see over most cars, unlike many of the small SUV-like vehicles. In terms of off-roading, it's the best I've ever had. My major reservation is with the driver's seat. The ergonomics are all fine but the seat itself is horribly uncomfortable for long trips. The gas mileage is pretty bad too, but I knew that going into it. What I didn't know is that gas was going to go to $3/gallon! But, just to put my priorities in perspective, if I had the choice between rolling gas prices back or more comfortable seating, I'd choose more comfortable seating. Would I buy another? No, I'd go for a 4dr 4WD Tacoma with a shell.

06 XTerra- A Great Buy for the money
By Scott on 06/19/06 16:24 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this vehicle less than a month ago, and it's been wonderful. Gas mileage has been mediocre, bit overall it suits an active lifestyle. I've been very pleased with it pretty much everywhere. Handling and maneuverability has been quite nice. And I'm very much looking forward to really taking it off road. Everything on the interior is very convenient and being 6' 3", I've been pleasantly surprised how much room I have in headroom and legroom. Long trips are comfy as well. I'm looking forward to many years of ownership on this SUV. The Rockford-Fosgate sound system rocks as well!

Great
By faroglobal on 06/08/06 16:59 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Terrific all round vehicle for the mountainous Western US. Performs well in snow and semi-desert conditions. Gas mileage is not terrific. Comfortable off road and excellent handling in all conditions. Replaced an excellent 1986 Toyota 4x4 Land Cruiser Diesel w/ 200,000 plus miles. I expect the same with this.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.