Used 2006 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Most Helpful|
Huge disappointment
By Disapointed

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Iíd like to say that I love this vehicle; unfortunately, itís turning into a lemon. Multiple problems have arisen. Two clutches in 52k, fuel pump and sensor bad, chipping paint. I've taken good care of her too! Mileage is pretty good, 18 city, up to 24 hwy, 19-20 avg. Accelerates well, fun to drive, good visibility. Like the plastic cargo area, easy to clean. Upgrades necessary for serious 4x4. After market parts lacking. Iím told by Nissan service guys that they kept the truck less expensive by using lower quality parts. It shows. Iíve taken good care of this truck, but itís time to move on. Back to Toyota.

Favorite Features

The interior is, nothing fancy, but I didnít want fancy. I got functional and simple. The cargo room and rear seat room is very good. Very roomy with seats down. Fun to drive, decent mileage, 19-20avg. Rear locker, stiff frame. Fairly quiet inside.

Suggested Improvements

Gear ratio for 4x4. Rear suspension bottoms out easily. Chipping paint. Two clutches in 52k (not uncommon with these), fuel pump and sensor bad (not uncommon), idle problems (not uncommon).

Disappointments
By chuck181

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've read a lot of reviews from other people. The repairs on my XTerra are mounting up. Should I bight the bullet and dow out the money. They say I have a cracked radiator which seems common with this model. Power steering fluid leak will cost $1200 to replace unit. Dealership says it can leak into other areas of car. Brake rotare should never wear out in my mind. And now wheel bearing problems. Several years ago, I paid to have the timing chain corrected. Why are all these things happening.

Favorite Features

Handles great in Minnesota snow

Best Family Trail 4x4
By kmsr

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

If you need 4 or 5 seatbelts and want to fit on 4X4 trails, Xterra is hard to beat. More comfortable (I'm 6'4" and hit my head on Rubicon roll bar) and reliable than Jeep, more usable back seat and better visibility than FJ. A fraction of the cost of a Land Cruiser. Everything you need and nothing you don't. Seriously capable off road, especially with the right tires, lockers, and aftermarket mods. Great dimensions and clearance angles, especially when lifted.

Favorite Features

Stick shift, torque.

Suggested Improvements

Learn from most common aftermarket improvements and just build them that way from the beginning. Imagine if the Pro-4X model came already lifted with beefed up front (PRG Titan swap?) and rear ends, offroad bumpers (Shrock?), rear tire carrier, wider stance, etc. Oh, and just for fun, put the 5.6 V8 in there too! Then serve it up on 120 PSI bicycle tires so you can claim good mileage - buyers will go straight from the dealership to get their own favorite 35" MTs anyway!

Best Value for Nissan Nation
By albo

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV Off-Road 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is a great vehicle that I have put a lot of miles on in a short time (125k in 4 yr) great acceleration and 4 wheel drive will take you about anywhere. The clutch went after about 50k miles, this must be a systemic problem cause I have had 4 other nissans with manual transmissions too and have never replaced a clutch! The driver's seat could be more comfortable on long drives. After owning a maxima, I know what Nissan can do when they put their mind to the task! I would like better gas mileage, but who wouldn't? This vehicle, like all nissans, is perhaps the best value for the money. I will own this truck for years to come. Keep up the good work. Nissan Nation rocks on!

Favorite Features

Body style 4 wheel drive 6 speed transmission Fosgate stereo system Cargo space and cargo control

Suggested Improvements

Drivers Seat should be more comfortable Better gas mileage Heater could act faster

Great - until after 100K
By nomaddriver

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2006 Xterra new... LOVED IT. The design was awesome. It was a bit rough (its a truck after all) but comfortable overall. Powerful engine, though hard on gas. All sweet for first 3 yrs/ 65K miles. After that things started to all apart. Fuel sensor crapped out so I couldn't tell how much gas is left based on the fuel gauge. The driver windows stopped working. U-joints went. By the time I passed 100K, the transmission fluid leaked into the radiator and vice versa. Spent $1500 to replace the radiator and flushed the trans. only to have them tell me that I need a new transmission - $4-$5K (at 110K I wasn't able to go in reverse). Couldn't afford it so traded it at a loss.

Favorite Features

Looks, Power, all the bungee hooks in the cargo area.

Suggested Improvements

Install quality parts!