2006 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews 6

2006 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

2006 Xterra Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Amazing SUV
By Xowner

2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my X for awhile and I love it. It is very comfortable, fast, smooth, and quiet. It drives well at 85mph on the freeway, and can handle some rough stuff as well. The Rockford Fosgate stereo is as good as they get. The seats are very comfy, and the rear seat is high, so my 3 year old can look around very easily. Overall, I am impressed by the features and quality for the price.

Favorite Features

- Super comfy seats (thank you Nissan for not having side supports). - Smooth, fast, and quiet ride. - Safety.

Suggested Improvements

I hate the sun visors. They do not cover the window well (even with the extender), and are loose. Subaru nailed this in their Outback. Come on Nissan.

Less Enthusiastic Than Most
By Grumpy

2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the OR model to use off road after driving an '88 4x4 Pathfinder for 342K miles (great vehicle!) By comparison, the Xterra rides like a buckboard & handles like a baby buggy on mountain roads (mushy steering, feels unstable - tho it might not be). Can't get rid of constant squeaking from under carriage, despite 4 trips to the dealer. Unnecessarily tall inside (about same capacity as old Pathfinder, so why?). Worse mileage than advertised, poorly engineered cruise control.

Favorite Features

Good power, excellent traction OR. Auto dimming rear view mirror work well.

Suggested Improvements

Better mileage, better design of interior, more comfortable seating, better interior storage, esp. for rear passengers (there's none in the doors). Why 2 glove boxes? How about one big one? Int/Ext thermometer instead of compass on RV mirror. 2 trip odos & white gauges.

I really enjoy it
By IamAng

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The gas mileage isn't great only about 22mpg. The ride is really nice, I love sitting so high up. The exterior design is really different. The interior is mostly plastic that scratches easily.

Favorite Features

The ride, the engine performance, how it looks.

Suggested Improvements

Make the interior out of some kind of material more durable that doesn't scratch as easily.

Test drive it & decide for yourself
By Mesh

2006 Nissan Xterra X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the Nissan Xterra X because I wanted a vehicle that I new would last me. I went from a Trailblazer to the Xterra and I figured i'd be disappointed but hey, I would save on my monthly payment...so it would all work out. Well, I love the Xterra! I like it more than the trailblazer. It's a more 'outdoors' vehicle. Is great for people who camp, bike ride or have a couple of dogs. Easy to maintain. Has more power than I expected. Is very comfortable. I have not had any problems. The best advice I can give you is to test drive one. Make sure you like it....test it. I totally love mine, it's what I was looking for in my heart.

Favorite Features

The hood is high so I can see it while driving, which makes parking a lot easier for me. I'm only 5'1"

Suggested Improvements

Any improvements you want you can do yourself, ex. radio...put a new one in. But the one thing I can think of is the orange dash lights. Yellow lights are brighter. Over all, I give the vehicle a 9.8 on a scale of 1-10. The Xterra is everything I need & love!

WOW, life is more fun with my X-terra.
By MomoV

2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my X-terra for 2 weeks and have driven it 1100 miles (went on two trips with it). I am amazed at the design of this SUV. It is very well thought-out, with everything you need and nothing you don't (like they say in commercials). I went to Great Sand Dunes NP last weekend and tried to get it stuck in deep sand. I engaged the 4WD/LO and rear locking differential, and it was awesome! No problem getting out of deep sand. I bought my X-terra at Boulder Nissan (Colorado), and that was the most pleasant car-buying experience ever. Those guys are amazingly nice.

Favorite Features

- high ground clearance - 4WD with rear locking differential - good handling - great power - side impact airbags - the stereo (amazing!!!) - for the price ($28,200 OTD), I think this is the best value in the class.

Suggested Improvements

Tiptronic shifter (oh yeah!).

SO far SO good!
By Jerry

2006 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Hello one and all, i bought the SE 4x4 night armor late aug got 1400+ miles on it, the truck rides nicely and have been fun to drive. It has GREAT pick up, i AVG bout 19-23 HWY which is not bad if u think bout compared to other SUVs. I'm 6'5 tall and it fits pretty well. It would have been nice for the back glass to pop open sometimes its a pain to open the whole back just to get something.Over all i am happy with this truck.

Favorite Features

Great 0-60mph

Suggested Improvements

GAS of course,, back window can open as well.

Great Improvement from 2004 Xterra
By BWN

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Very pleased with 2006 Xterra "S" after 4100 mi. Traded in a 2004 Xterra "X" to get much-improved new model. Best upgrades are extra HP (up to 270 hp from 170 hp!!), 6-spd manual trans and fold- flat rear seat and front psgr seat. Comfortable handling and ride. Great visibility out. Good shifting, better than some performance cars. Nice jump on acceleration. Improved visibility of gauges welcome--light background on old model invisible in bright sunlight. Like unique styling, more classy than 2004 model.

Favorite Features

Peppy 270 hp engine, smooth 6-spd manual transmission & handy fold-flat rear seat and front psgr seat. Good visibility to rear quarters.

Suggested Improvements

Outside temperature gauge would be nice. Standard rear shelf is too slick-- luggage slides all over. Initially hard to find reverse on 6-spd. Could use a few more interesting exterior colors.

Just Bought an Xterra - Happy to say
By DrBIGHead

2006 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

An SUV was not the first on my list of new cars options. I really wanted a sports car but my budget would not comply. Looked around - for under $25K there are not too many cars I would want to own 3-4 years from now. With all that said - If I was going to buy an SUV I wanted a "Real" SUV. The car is incredible - tons of power, comfort and room. I paid $24K out-the-door for the SE - good price. The fuel economy is not great but it is an SUV. I cannot say enough things about the power of the engine. Like other reviewers I wish it had a better exaust - though this may be purchased later. Stereo is good though sub could be bigger. If you need an SUV I would seriously consider the Xterra.

Favorite Features

Power and Fun to ride - I feel like a cowboy everyday. Car is incredible in style and safety.

Suggested Improvements

Larger Sub - matter of taste; Better exaust. Ride options.

Xterra
By XterraS

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

An excellent SUV. Very responsive engine. Sits higher than a car giving a better view of the road. Great room for easier movement inside. The Utility Package includes the step rails and more compartments. All around great vehicle.

Favorite Features

The trunk, with its cargo space and fold down rear seats makes for perfect space for gear of all kinds. Bucket seats create a feel of a sports car.

Suggested Improvements

My only improvement would be to create a removable carpet for the trunk that has the channels cut into it to be able to store the gear on the floor and still have access to the very handy Channel-Lock system it's known for.

2006 Xterra
By Mike

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Find this a great ride. Didn't realize the rear windows only went 1/2 way down because of the design of the door. Love the response off the lights and the ride off road. I put a set of LT tires on when I bought it and they are harder riding than the stock P tires that came on it, knew this at the start. Dealer is 28 miles away from my home so I had to buy 10 Nissan oil filters and let the local Jiffy Lube do the changes. Jiffy lube was 15 bucks cheaper also. The performance is exceptional even when compared to my 02 Tacoma I traded in .

Favorite Features

Power Train, and engine performance are just great. Automatic shifts super and makes the moves thru traffic fun.

Suggested Improvements

Fog lights on them all. Shifter is loosey goosey at times. Brakes are mushy all the time. It;s a preception thing as they both work fine. Just not as tight as my 02 Tacoma was.