Used 2006 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2006 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Updated Long Term Review
By Since 2006 -NM

2006 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Xterra in 2006 new from the lot. I wanted an SUV because I was moving to New Mexico and needed a vehicle that had very good utility, was great in the backcountry, and can get through snow on uncleared roads. My road is never cleared in the winter. I've owned it for the entire time. While some of the critiques I've read in the reviews have some merit, ie. hard plastics inside, and gas mileage, on the whole its been very good. I replaced the tires at about 50,000 miles. The Driver's seat started making noises and was successfully fixed by the dealer in Santa Fe (good service dept!). The fuel pump was replaced under warranty before 36000 miles.

Favorite Features

Overall reliability and solidness about it, rockford fosgate stereo and ipod connector.. 4wd which use a little more often than I thought I would.. ground clearance and cargo storage.

Suggested Improvements

my main complaint is the gas mileage. The engine is great and pulls the xterra like crazy. On the other hand, the new CUV's get about the same or only slightly better if one is objective about it. A diesel would be a great improvement. Leather interior and soft touch interior

Paint Problems
By Angela Bailey

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

First I have to say, I love this truck. There are few things I would change if given the opportunity. I've put a lot of miles on this vehicle-56,000 & I keep it in the garage when at home. The paint around the windshield is peeling off. Not cracking or chipping--peeling. Not just the clear coat or even top coat, but base coat down to bare metal. Apparently, Nissan & Co think it's perfectly normal for paint to peel off. Sadly, Nissan support & customer service is greatly lacking principles and integrity.

Favorite Features

Love that 6 speed & power

Suggested Improvements

A decent warranty on paint. Customer Service/Support.

Never Again!!!!
By Disappointed

2006 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this 2006 Exterra SE new November of 2006 because of the reviews and ratings on this site and the awards it garnered. I'll admit, it is a fun vech. to drive. But what a disappointment! Replaced tires at 20,00 miles. Replaced the front brakes (Rotors as well as pads) twice in 51,000 miles. Paint is poor quality showing rust specs and flaked off the running boards at in less than a year Just replaced the fuel sensor. Worst of all, tranny and radiator self destructed at 51,000 miles. Nissan refused to honor the drive train warranty. The excuses were pathetic! Cost to repair this piece of junk was outrageous! On top of that, we still owe $5,200 on the purchase price. Back to Toyota for us!

Favorite Features

Style, power, cargo room

Suggested Improvements

Use better materials. Institute better quality assurance in manufacturing. Redesign the transmission cooling system and use a better radiator. Honor warranty terms and insist that Consumer affairs representatives be accountable for their actions.

Faulty fuel sending unit
By sem

2006 Nissan Xterra X 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm very pleased with my 2006 Xterra. However I'm not pleased with the cost of having to replace a faulty fuel sending unit which Nissan has not recalled on this year of Xterra but has recalled the older versions. I would think that if Nissan is receiving the same types of complaints regarding sending units that the least they could do would be to replace them.

Good So Far
By Surfcaster

2006 Nissan Xterra X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've had this vehicle for over three years now. Love the power, handling, 20mpg with standard trans, great off road. Many have had premature clutch wear so I would not buy another stick. Most of the parts for this vehicle including engine is not Japan. Wish honda made old school suv, but for now xterra seems to give best bang for buck. 4runner much more expensive, and most of their parts are also not Japan.

Favorite Features

Unmatched horsepower, full truck frame, ride/handling.

Suggested Improvements

Plastic scratches easily. Fix the weak clutch, improve customer service.