Used 2006 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews - 106 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2006 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

The worst return on a car ever!
By jnsg

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

5 years! That's it. And now it's worthless.

Like everyone else I have fallen victim to radiator/ transmission problems on my 2006 Nissan Xterra.

I went to my dealer to get an oil change. While I was there I described a symptom of at certain speeds my 2006 Xterra felt like it was driving over a rumble strip and at other times there was a loss of acceleration. They informed me this is a known issue that Nissan has extended the warranty BUT my Xterra was right outside of the warranty period at 112K miles. They then proceeded to quote me around $6000 for the repair. When I informed them that the truck was practically brand new, they shrugged and said sorry

Any favorite features I have are shot down by the reliability of the vehicle. As of now it is impossible to say anything good. What would be the point?

Nissan needs to step up and fix this issue. They are losing way more money by not fixing than if they did. I can promise you right now that Nissan will not get the next $30K I spend on a vehicle.

DO NOT buy the Xterra: known major issues with transmission.
By dmbstl

2006 Nissan Xterra X 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was generally satisfied with my Xterra up until
about a year ago. The problems started rolling in with major cash outlays for numerous issues. Fuel level sensor and fuel pump issues along with numerous electrical problems.

Then the worst recently hit where the transmission fluid leaked into the coolant system. The dealership estimated a repair cost of almost $10,000 for the cooling system and transmission replacement.

Apparently this is a known issue as Nissan has recently extended the warranty somewhat, but not enough to cover most drivers. If you search online, Xterra transmission system issues is a top result.

(I worked hard to use other sources and get the cost to $5000.)

Acceleration. Smooth highway ride. Great vehicle for camping. Might make a great second vehicle for an active outdoors person who will not put many miles on it.

Do not buy the mid 2000's Xterra and Pathfinder pre-owned as both vehicles have major issues with transmission reliability that will result in extremely expensive repairs that Nissan will not cover. In addition the vehicle will have numerous other mechanical and electrical issues at this point in it's life cycle. And if you currently own an Xterra and haven't had problems yet: dump it now before you get stuck with it.

General Review
By cristella

2006 Nissan Xterra X 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

My Xterra has 94,000 miles on it.
I've kept up with all required/suggested maintenance and inspections. The only thing I had to replace were the tires at 40,000 miles and they are due to be replaced again. No problems whatsoever.

Sturdy and Reliable: I've run over a few boulders, hit a few pigeons and side swiped a trash can or two (on accident of course); she takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

The gas bill is a huge bummer, $5,000/year and gas prices are only going up.

2006 Nissan Xterra
By nonissan2

2006 Nissan Xterra X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

33,000 miles, vehicle in distress

Purchased - NEW

The Nissan Xterra looks like a very nice SUV from the outside.

But if you own one, you know that this vehicle has alot of problems that have not been fixed.
Most common, are the front drive shaft U joints that go.
NTBS has issued warnings as for front wheel bearings which include the front U joints.
No recall issued by Nissan, not under any warranty

Tension arm blew at 7000 miles,
started blew at 22000 miles, now front u joints at 33,000 miles.

Very nice vehicle if you like to restore cars

Don't buy this vehicle years 2005 to 2009

Bought another one
By modern nissan

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love how it handles, and I feel good in the xterra. It has masculine lines, and gives me confidence in my surroundings. The gas milage is good if you know how to drive the Exterra. I had a 2006 Exterra and traded it in for a FX35 Infinity which is smaller that i thought. But great car. just not for me. The cost of the Exterra is well worth the money. I purchased another one just this week, and I hope they will still make them in the future.

Style, power, cost