2006 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
Good So Far
By Surfcaster on 10/27/09 09:57 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've had this vehicle for over three years now. Love the power, handling, 20mpg with standard trans, great off road. Many have had premature clutch wear so I would not buy another stick. Most of the parts for this vehicle including engine is not Japan. Wish honda made old school suv, but for now xterra seems to give best bang for buck. 4runner much more expensive, and most of their parts are also not Japan.

2006 Fuel Gage Faulty
By Mrs. R on 10/16/09 22:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

2006 Nissan XTerra - At 35K+ miles fuel gauge faulty. After filling up gas, gauge reads empty. Nissan is NOT issuing a recall for the 2006 models. 2000-2004 have received a recall for the same problem. Cost to fix is approx. $500.

Love my Exterra
By Mike from Boynton on 08/11/09 05:38 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This SUV is made to be driven and takes abuse. Tailgating is fun and we don't have to worry about the interior its made to get dirty. If you take care of the truck it will last a long time. Lots of engine. I already have 52000 miles on it and it still looks like new.

Sadly Mistaken
By Purtysouthern on 04/09/09 10:34 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Thought I wanted this vehicle. Exterior plastics faded and look old, interior plastics are cheap. Rear end noises that dealership can't fix even after a complete replacement of the entire rear axle. It is a fight to get any type of warranty work done. This veh. only has 35,000mi on it and I am about to trade it in for a Toyota.

So Far So Good
By PHISH on 03/23/09 18:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We came within days of buying a Jeep Commander before I just happened to notice this Xterra on a dealer's website. We Test drove it and bought it. The first block of the test drive I forgot about the Jeep and never looked back.My wife loves it because she feels safe and likes the look of the truck. I like the fact that it has an endless amount of speed when you need it and handles amazingly well on turns.We're really happy with it. Paid $12,500 for a 2006 with 25,000 miles miles on it. How could we pass that up? We traded in our Montero with all the bells and whistles for the plain jane Xterra. We couldn't be happier!!!!

Huge disappointment
By Disapointed on 03/20/09 15:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I’d like to say that I love this vehicle; unfortunately, it’s turning into a lemon. Multiple problems have arisen. Two clutches in 52k, fuel pump and sensor bad, chipping paint. I've taken good care of her too! Mileage is pretty good, 18 city, up to 24 hwy, 19-20 avg. Accelerates well, fun to drive, good visibility. Like the plastic cargo area, easy to clean. Upgrades necessary for serious 4x4. After market parts lacking. I’m told by Nissan service guys that they kept the truck less expensive by using lower quality parts. It shows. I’ve taken good care of this truck, but it’s time to move on. Back to Toyota.

Very Mediocre
By FA91 on 03/15/09 13:03 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We just traded our 2006 Nissan Xterra S. We did not entertain buying another Nissan based on our experience with this Nissan. It was not a bad vehicle, decent power - horrible mileage. We previously had a Ford Explorer that consistently got 18 MPG. Once in a while we would hit 17 with the X, but usually it was 14-16. My wife commuted in the car and it was not used off road. We had no major problems with the Xterra, but did have to take it back to the dealer for a loose exhaust shield - which is now loose again (or was when we traded it). Rust was starting on the rear passenger door. Brakes made a horrible sound when TC kicked in and brakes were applied. Paint scratched easily.

The best SUV
By RCKEV on 12/21/08 19:18 PM (PST)

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I picked up my Xterra after driving Explorers for 12 years. This is the best truck I have ever owned. It performs flawlessly whether going in town shopping or to my favorite mtn bike trail in the mtns, it has been perfect. I avg 18-19 in mixed driving. I have never been so happy with an suv. This thing is twice the suv my Explorer was. Better engine better ride all around sound. I'll be driving this one till it falls apart

After Extensive Testing....
By X-Country Roam on 10/27/08 20:39 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my X in June of 07 with 18,000 miles on it. Since then, I have driven this thing almost 30,000 miles, from Chicago, to northern Michigan, to Myrtle Beach, to northern Ohio, in light floods, blizzards, and sand. No trouble digging itself out of 3 foot snow drifts, even a 4 foot ditch (when I was stupid, and turned the traction control off). Wonderful comfort and easy to pack for long trips. I tested the "top impact" rating with a telephone pole last winter. (Black ice, my fault, not the X's.) Kept me and my passengers safe, roof held up no problem. Holds up very well in heavy summer traffic, 30 below temps, blizzards, floods, and anything else you can think of to throw at it.

33000 miles and still going
By van on 06/19/08 11:44 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Knew I would have to drive this vehicle for a while in order to give an honest assessment. It has been a great vehicle. Super engine, torque at any speed, and this is not a small vehicle. I have taken it light off-roading without issues, could definitely take much more abuse than I've put it through. Have driven it from Washington to Arizona and Arizona to Texas and back without problems. Cavernous cargo bay when the seats are folded down. Doors and windows close with a solid "thunk". Xterra is the rugged man's SUV, super utilitarian. It's a vehicle that can go from dirt to pavement with unanimity, and haul all your stuff. Oh, and at this price point how can you beat it??

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.