2006 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
Best Value for Nissan Nation
By albo on 07/26/10 13:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is a great vehicle that I have put a lot of miles on in a short time (125k in 4 yr) great acceleration and 4 wheel drive will take you about anywhere. The clutch went after about 50k miles, this must be a systemic problem cause I have had 4 other nissans with manual transmissions too and have never replaced a clutch! The driver's seat could be more comfortable on long drives. After owning a maxima, I know what Nissan can do when they put their mind to the task! I would like better gas mileage, but who wouldn't? This vehicle, like all nissans, is perhaps the best value for the money. I will own this truck for years to come. Keep up the good work. Nissan Nation rocks on!

Great at first but then a disappointed
By DD9 on 07/14/10 09:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I went from owning an IS300 to something more reliable in the winter. The Xterra was my favorite compared to the 4runner. Right after the 60,000 mile warranty expired, problems, serious problems that should not occur on a relatively new vehicle. between 60k and 7ok miles shaking in the seat, took it to the mechanic and he said U joints, front and rear. After the initial replacement, more issues with rear wheel bearing, more random vibrating. 77k the heater/ac resistor went. $140 for that plus install, Livid at this point. Went to Nissan, no dice, telling me to go and pay for Nissan tech to diagnose. Terrible customer service from Nissan N. America. 3 weeks gone by, Mike has not called.

Radiator Fluid Leaked into Transmission
By RadiatorProblem on 03/25/10 12:02 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Was very satisfied with the vehicle until the past few months. It is already starting to lose it's paint in some areas and the radiator on this vehicle cracked so that the radiator fluid went into the transmission. The transmission is now ruined and I need a new transmission ($5000+). This seems to be a pretty common problem for 2005- 2008 Pathfinders and Xterras).

Great SUV for the money
By Kenny on 02/02/10 13:55 PM (PST)

2006 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the truck used in 08 with and have put over 40K miles and still runs great. Use it for work reading meters and yet to get stuck or break down on me. Paint is chipping around windshield but other than that no defects. Plastic is nice inside cleans very easily. Awesome dependability!

Clutch Problems
By Stickman on 01/16/10 14:56 PM (PST)

2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Love just about everything about the car. Only real issue I've had is that the clutch needed to be replaced at 20,700 miles and then again 37,000 miles later. I've been driving manual transmissions for 47 years and never had a problem with clutches wearing so quickly.

Plenty Happy
By SteveD.1911 on 01/08/10 09:28 AM (PST)

2006 Nissan Xterra X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought brand new and this X has never disappointed! Taken it cross country (NC-OR, NC-AZ) 3 times and have never had one issue! Rides like a truck and thats what I wanted. The factory suspension in the rear is lacking and bottoms out fairly easy. Easy fix with some good Timbren bumpstops. Have never had a major issue with it yet, just routine maintenance. Fuel economy is average but thats what is expected from a 265HP 4x4. If you want to wheel your rig hard then expect the front diff to fail since they are weak and you will most likely have warranty issues from the dealer if they know you go wheeling. Overall It is a great truck and I love mine!

Updated Long Term Review
By Since 2006 -NM on 01/04/10 04:44 AM (PST)

2006 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Xterra in 2006 new from the lot. I wanted an SUV because I was moving to New Mexico and needed a vehicle that had very good utility, was great in the backcountry, and can get through snow on uncleared roads. My road is never cleared in the winter. I've owned it for the entire time. While some of the critiques I've read in the reviews have some merit, ie. hard plastics inside, and gas mileage, on the whole its been very good. I replaced the tires at about 50,000 miles. The Driver's seat started making noises and was successfully fixed by the dealer in Santa Fe (good service dept!). The fuel pump was replaced under warranty before 36000 miles.

Paint Problems
By Angela Bailey on 12/23/09 14:26 PM (PST)

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

First I have to say, I love this truck. There are few things I would change if given the opportunity. I've put a lot of miles on this vehicle-56,000 & I keep it in the garage when at home. The paint around the windshield is peeling off. Not cracking or chipping--peeling. Not just the clear coat or even top coat, but base coat down to bare metal. Apparently, Nissan & Co think it's perfectly normal for paint to peel off. Sadly, Nissan support & customer service is greatly lacking principles and integrity.

Never Again!!!!
By Disappointed on 12/04/09 13:56 PM (PST)

2006 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this 2006 Exterra SE new November of 2006 because of the reviews and ratings on this site and the awards it garnered. I'll admit, it is a fun vech. to drive. But what a disappointment! Replaced tires at 20,00 miles. Replaced the front brakes (Rotors as well as pads) twice in 51,000 miles. Paint is poor quality showing rust specs and flaked off the running boards at in less than a year Just replaced the fuel sensor. Worst of all, tranny and radiator self destructed at 51,000 miles. Nissan refused to honor the drive train warranty. The excuses were pathetic! Cost to repair this piece of junk was outrageous! On top of that, we still owe $5,200 on the purchase price. Back to Toyota for us!

Faulty fuel sending unit
By sem on 11/25/09 13:54 PM (PST)

2006 Nissan Xterra X 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm very pleased with my 2006 Xterra. However I'm not pleased with the cost of having to replace a faulty fuel sending unit which Nissan has not recalled on this year of Xterra but has recalled the older versions. I would think that if Nissan is receiving the same types of complaints regarding sending units that the least they could do would be to replace them.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.