Used 2006 Nissan Xterra X SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

General Review
By cristella

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV X 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

My Xterra has 94,000 miles on it. I've kept up with all required/suggested maintenance and inspections. The only thing I had to replace were the tires at 40,000 miles and they are due to be replaced again. No problems whatsoever.

Sturdy and Reliable: I've run over a few boulders, hit a few pigeons and side swiped a trash can or two (on accident of course); she takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

The gas bill is a huge bummer, $5,000/year and gas prices are only going up.

Absolutely awesome
By doublemp2262

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV X 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've never been so eager to drive. This truck is fun both on and off road! Perfect for camping, traveling or just daily driving, and the base price is a lot of bang for your buck.

Engine is very powerful for such a little truck. And there are so many things to utilize through out the cargo area.

Door locks seem fragile from inside, not a very sturdy construction. But that's all I've found wrong...

After much review...
By JVP

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV X 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

... I finally decided on the Xterra after looking at just about everything that had 4 doors and a hatch. I have 2 kids, one in a car seat, but hated the thought of giving up my truck for an SUV. The Xterra has great road presence (sits high, feels strong) and has well thought out interior features. I always choose power over mileage when faced with one or the other, and while the mileage isn't that bad (22 highway according to the sticker), the power is wonderful. I am also very pleased with the ride and the suspension. It's built very, very well (Titan's frame, etc.) It also has a youthful appearance, which never hurts a guy my age.

6-Speed: It's the reason I bought it. Most manufacturers don't offer their most powerful engine with a manual; Nissan does. At 78 mph, the tach reads about 2250 in 6th gear. There is enough torque on tap to hit 6th gear at 45 mph, and still accelerate.

Nissan didn't offer a bright red paint. I love the dark blue that I bought, but I would have liked a red choice as well (their red is a "brick" color). I'm also not a fan of the instrument lighting, which is amber in color at night. In any event, I think the vehicle is awesome as is.