2006 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
A Rolling Money Pit
By jskirwin on 08/23/14 11:57 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

There's a very good reason why this truck has been rated as one of the worst used cars to buy. We bought our 2006 new. Mechanically things were fine for about 40k miles, and after that the truck simply fell apart even with constant maintenance. After warranty expired I replaced: Windshield. Both window lift assemblies and controls. The bearings and control arms on all 4 wheels. The rear differential. Rear lift arms. Alternator. Spark plugs and wires. Catalytic converters. But worst of all was the radiator/transmission cooler failure. That allowed the coolant to mix with the tranny fluid killing the transmission. It is a known problem - so avoid this truck and the heartache it brings.

Great SUV for the money
By Kenny on 02/02/10 13:55 PM (PST)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the truck used in 08 with and have put over 40K miles and still runs great. Use it for work reading meters and yet to get stuck or break down on me. Paint is chipping around windshield but other than that no defects. Plastic is nice inside cleans very easily. Awesome dependability!

Updated Long Term Review
By Since 2006 -NM on 01/04/10 04:44 AM (PST)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Xterra in 2006 new from the lot. I wanted an SUV because I was moving to New Mexico and needed a vehicle that had very good utility, was great in the backcountry, and can get through snow on uncleared roads. My road is never cleared in the winter. I've owned it for the entire time. While some of the critiques I've read in the reviews have some merit, ie. hard plastics inside, and gas mileage, on the whole its been very good. I replaced the tires at about 50,000 miles. The Driver's seat started making noises and was successfully fixed by the dealer in Santa Fe (good service dept!). The fuel pump was replaced under warranty before 36000 miles.

Love it!!
By kansas on 08/28/07 09:22 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have only had my Xterra for a few days and I can't even imagine that I was ever looking for something else. I love it 110%. It's not only fun to drive but has great acceleration, roomy interior and lots of great places to hook stuff as well as great storage space. The only downfall I have seen is that it is hard for a person to get out of the back seat, it is too narrow, I love the hard plastic on the inside, it is easy to clean. I am still getting used to the feel of the steering wheel. All in all I have no complaints and would recommend this SUV to anyone. One my first tank of gas I got 19 in town. The stereo system is awesome. I love the roof rack as well as the first aid kit.

One Great SUV - Sweeet!!!
By RCA on 04/06/07 08:25 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my new Xterra SE! The overall package is a great value (with the rebates), and the design, and quality fit & finish are exceptional. The sporty sound betrays the power and performance, and the ride & handling are outstanding - refined, responsive ride & handling, without any vibrations or rattles. The interior is spacious, and comfortable, and the Rockford-Fosgate Audio system rocks! Fuel economy could be better, but it’s still good at an overall average of 20 mpg. Consumer Reports reports great reliability. Sure, I’d like leather, an automatic climate control system, automatic head lights, 6-way power seats, fully carpeted rear cargo area, etc., but those aren't "deal-breakers."

Fun to drive
By scott661 on 03/15/07 17:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I never thought about owning a Xterra, but after test driving this baby, I just had to have it. The ride and power are great. Wife doesn't want me to drive so she can enjoy. Great SUV for the dough!!

SO far SO good!
By Jerry on 10/23/06 11:38 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Hello one and all, i bought the SE 4x4 night armor late aug got 1400+ miles on it, the truck rides nicely and have been fun to drive. It has GREAT pick up, i AVG bout 19-23 HWY which is not bad if u think bout compared to other SUVs. I'm 6'5 tall and it fits pretty well. It would have been nice for the back glass to pop open sometimes its a pain to open the whole back just to get something.Over all i am happy with this truck.

Just Bought an Xterra - Happy to say
By DrBIGHead on 10/12/06 23:35 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

An SUV was not the first on my list of new cars options. I really wanted a sports car but my budget would not comply. Looked around - for under $25K there are not too many cars I would want to own 3-4 years from now. With all that said - If I was going to buy an SUV I wanted a "Real" SUV. The car is incredible - tons of power, comfort and room. I paid $24K out-the-door for the SE - good price. The fuel economy is not great but it is an SUV. I cannot say enough things about the power of the engine. Like other reviewers I wish it had a better exaust - though this may be purchased later. Stereo is good though sub could be bigger. If you need an SUV I would seriously consider the Xterra.

Back to xterra
By grahamcracker977 on 08/02/06 19:08 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Had a 2001 Xterra, loved it but it lacked power (only 170 HP back then and hesitated at 2000 rpm) and felt like a tin can (doors very light). Only problem was auto windows going out. Drove a 2003 Frontier and 2005 Dodge Hemi 1500 (hello Gas prices and expensive service requirements), I went back to Nissan and tested out the 06 Xterra. Would have went 4X4 but don't do too much off roading in Houston. The difference is incredible. More power, no more hesitation and it feels like a safe/substantial vehicle now. So happy to be back in this workhorse. MPG on the way to work on highway as high as 27. Beats 16 in the Hemi and unlike the Dodge, I know it will go longer than my car note

Don't pay MSRP! Great mid-size SUV.
By Jon, So. Texas on 04/23/06 11:14 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just bought (4/06) my 2006 white X- Terra SE, pretty much loaded, including the Side Airbags and Tow Package (options SO1, W94, N93, F10, L92, B10, M10). I bought the wheel drive since I'm only on the road. MSRP Sticker was $28,115, I paid $24,650+tax&title after the $1,000 rebate. Maybe I could have done a little bit better on the price, but this was the only X-terra with the side airbags in town, so I went for it! The power is great, which is a trade- off for the so-so milage... I like the power. The SE's options has some additional nice items (17" wheels, interior trim, fog lights, trip computer), but the best one is the 300-watt Rockford Fosgate system. Buy yours $3,500Read the full review

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.