2006 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
Couldn't be more pleased
By xterrajess on 03/05/14 00:46 AM (PST)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the best vehicle. So incredibly reliable. Some fun facts: - In 7 years of ownership, I've never taken it to the shop for anything other than the regular oil change and tire rotation. - Front 2 seats are very comfortable. I get many comments on this. - Steering wheel offers some resistance when turning but is OK. - Stylish - Decent gas mileage for the year and type of vehicle - Lots of trunk space, tons when the back seats are down. I can fit a corner piece of furniture in the back standing upright in this thing. - Don't have to slam the doors for them to close - Nice blinker sound - Replacements parts (from minor fender benders & whatnot) are pretty cheap

Great vehicle if you need it
By sky_captain on 12/31/13 23:31 PM (PST)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Xterra with 4wd used in 2010, and have since had it for 2 and a half years. It has been a fantastic vehicle in terms of reliability and performance. The problem is the gas mileage. If you do not need to haul heavy things, pull large objects, or you do not frequently encounter bad weather, then I do not suggest this SUV. The back seat is cramped for adults, and the interior lacks a lot to be desired in terms of comfort. Combine those aspects with the very poor mpg, and it makes this SUV difficult to validate. HOWEVER... if you do need such a vehicle, I could not suggest a better one. The reliability is up there with Honda, and off road/ working performance is great.

Disappointments
By chuck181 on 08/30/13 22:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've read a lot of reviews from other people. The repairs on my XTerra are mounting up. Should I bight the bullet and dow out the money. They say I have a cracked radiator which seems common with this model. Power steering fluid leak will cost $1200 to replace unit. Dealership says it can leak into other areas of car. Brake rotare should never wear out in my mind. And now wheel bearing problems. Several years ago, I paid to have the timing chain corrected. Why are all these things happening.

The worst return on a car ever!
By jnsg on 05/24/13 04:59 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

5 years! That's it. And now it's worthless. Like everyone else I have fallen victim to radiator/ transmission problems on my 2006 Nissan Xterra. I went to my dealer to get an oil change. While I was there I described a symptom of at certain speeds my 2006 Xterra felt like it was driving over a rumble strip and at other times there was a loss of acceleration. They informed me this is a known issue that Nissan has extended the warranty BUT my Xterra was right outside of the warranty period at 112K miles. They then proceeded to quote me around $6000 for the repair. When I informed them that the truck was practically brand new, they shrugged and said sorry

DO NOT buy the Xterra: known major issues with transmission.
By dmbstl on 12/04/12 15:38 PM (PST)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV X 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was generally satisfied with my Xterra up until about a year ago. The problems started rolling in with major cash outlays for numerous issues. Fuel level sensor and fuel pump issues along with numerous electrical problems. Then the worst recently hit where the transmission fluid leaked into the coolant system. The dealership estimated a repair cost of almost $10,000 for the cooling system and transmission replacement. Apparently this is a known issue as Nissan has recently extended the warranty somewhat, but not enough to cover most drivers. If you search online, Xterra transmission system issues is a top result. (I worked hard to use other sources and get the cost to $5000.)

General Review
By cristella on 12/10/11 14:49 PM (PST)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV X 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

My Xterra has 94,000 miles on it. I've kept up with all required/suggested maintenance and inspections. The only thing I had to replace were the tires at 40,000 miles and they are due to be replaced again. No problems whatsoever.

2006 Nissan Xterra
By nonissan2 on 02/16/11 10:35 AM (PST)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

33,000 miles, vehicle in distress Purchased - NEW The Nissan Xterra looks like a very nice SUV from the outside. But if you own one, you know that this vehicle has alot of problems that have not been fixed. Most common, are the front drive shaft U joints that go. NTBS has issued warnings as for front wheel bearings which include the front U joints. No recall issued by Nissan, not under any warranty Tension arm blew at 7000 miles, started blew at 22000 miles, now front u joints at 33,000 miles. Very nice vehicle if you like to restore cars Don't buy this vehicle years 2005 to 2009

Bought another one
By modern nissan on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love how it handles, and I feel good in the xterra. It has masculine lines, and gives me confidence in my surroundings. The gas milage is good if you know how to drive the Exterra. I had a 2006 Exterra and traded it in for a FX35 Infinity which is smaller that i thought. But great car. just not for me. The cost of the Exterra is well worth the money. I purchased another one just this week, and I hope they will still make them in the future.

Goodbye nissan
By heath on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have loved nissans for awhile. I have had 7 of them. But they do not back them up and they have horrible customer service now, time to say good bye! Good bye squeaky hood they never fixed, battery drain, oil sensor, fuel sensor, noisy a/c, squeaky seats, it's been fun but it is time to fin a manufacturer that will take care of us when we spend 28k for a truck!

Repairs Have Been Painful
By Dana on 07/29/10 17:13 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Xterra SUV X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My Xterra is only 4 years old and Ive had to replace the fuel sensor (a year and a half before the recall) and now the radiator. Thank goodness I was able to get the full sensor reimbursement from Nissan but I pretty much had to call and threaten to file a written complaint just to get it. I have always enjoyed having Nissan cars but this is becoming painful and expensive. I wanna hang in there with my "black beauty" but one more major repair and well have to part ways (bye).

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.