Used 2006 Nissan Xterra SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

A Rolling Money Pit
By jskirwin

2006 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

There's a very good reason why this truck has been rated as one of the worst used cars to buy. We bought our 2006 new. Mechanically things were fine for about 40k miles, and after that the truck simply fell apart even with constant maintenance. After warranty expired I replaced: Windshield. Both window lift assemblies and controls. The bearings and control arms on all 4 wheels. The rear differential. Rear lift arms. Alternator. Spark plugs and wires. Catalytic converters. But worst of all was the radiator/transmission cooler failure. That allowed the coolant to mix with the tranny fluid killing the transmission. It is a known problem - so avoid this truck and the heartache it brings.

Favorite Features

Looks great. Based on a truck platform, but note the Nissan Frontier also has the same issues with strawberry milkshake of death (SMOD - look it up) that ruins the transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Nissan was sued in a class action suit and settled, but the settlement was great for the lawyers and poor for Nissan owners. Because of its refusal to stand behind their products, I cannot recommend this truck and would recommend the Toyota 4Runner or Honda CRV (AWD) instead.

Great SUV for the money
By Kenny

2006 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the truck used in 08 with and have put over 40K miles and still runs great. Use it for work reading meters and yet to get stuck or break down on me. Paint is chipping around windshield but other than that no defects. Plastic is nice inside cleans very easily. Awesome dependability!

Favorite Features

Powerful v6 big improvement from prev generation. plastic interior.

Suggested Improvements

Improve paint job

Updated Long Term Review
By Since 2006 -NM

2006 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Xterra in 2006 new from the lot. I wanted an SUV because I was moving to New Mexico and needed a vehicle that had very good utility, was great in the backcountry, and can get through snow on uncleared roads. My road is never cleared in the winter. I've owned it for the entire time. While some of the critiques I've read in the reviews have some merit, ie. hard plastics inside, and gas mileage, on the whole its been very good. I replaced the tires at about 50,000 miles. The Driver's seat started making noises and was successfully fixed by the dealer in Santa Fe (good service dept!). The fuel pump was replaced under warranty before 36000 miles.

Favorite Features

Overall reliability and solidness about it, rockford fosgate stereo and ipod connector.. 4wd which use a little more often than I thought I would.. ground clearance and cargo storage.

Suggested Improvements

my main complaint is the gas mileage. The engine is great and pulls the xterra like crazy. On the other hand, the new CUV's get about the same or only slightly better if one is objective about it. A diesel would be a great improvement. Leather interior and soft touch interior

Love it!!
By kansas

2006 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have only had my Xterra for a few days and I can't even imagine that I was ever looking for something else. I love it 110%. It's not only fun to drive but has great acceleration, roomy interior and lots of great places to hook stuff as well as great storage space. The only downfall I have seen is that it is hard for a person to get out of the back seat, it is too narrow, I love the hard plastic on the inside, it is easy to clean. I am still getting used to the feel of the steering wheel. All in all I have no complaints and would recommend this SUV to anyone. One my first tank of gas I got 19 in town. The stereo system is awesome. I love the roof rack as well as the first aid kit.

Favorite Features

Hard plastic interior, sound system, roomy, acceleration, the first aid kit is cool.

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade to leather.

One Great SUV - Sweeet!!!
By RCA

2006 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my new Xterra SE! The overall package is a great value (with the rebates), and the design, and quality fit & finish are exceptional. The sporty sound betrays the power and performance, and the ride & handling are outstanding - refined, responsive ride & handling, without any vibrations or rattles. The interior is spacious, and comfortable, and the Rockford-Fosgate Audio system rocks! Fuel economy could be better, but its still good at an overall average of 20 mpg. Consumer Reports reports great reliability. Sure, Id like leather, an automatic climate control system, automatic head lights, 6-way power seats, fully carpeted rear cargo area, etc., but those aren't "deal-breakers."

Favorite Features

Great design, fit & finish, power & performance, ride & handling, and audio system.

Suggested Improvements

Few more of the Pathfinder amenities, and even better fuel economy.