Used 2006 Nissan Xterra S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Still love my Xterra 9 years later
By Kris

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my xTerra new in Aug 2006 so I've owned it almost 9 years. This is the longest I've ever owned a car! Typically would trade cars after 3 to 5 years because they'd start giving me problems but this Nissan has been great. I honestly love it. It looks great and runs great. I love the powerful engine. Accelerating in traffic is easy. I sit high so I can so over and around cars. The inside is low maintenance and easy to clean. I have a base model with no electronics so that's why the low rating on electronics. I only get about 16 miles per gallon....occasionally 15 for some reason and I can't understand that. Half of my driving is freeway. I don't drive fast, brake hard etc. My boss drives a big Yukon and we get the same mileage! Another friend has a Dodge Ram 2500 pickup and gets the same mileage. Ford Expedition gets 16 mph and is twice the size. Still, I've done the math for what I would save in a year at 16 mpg and 20 mpg. The savings would only be $300 a year ($25 a month) so I'd rather have the Xterra. For the most part, I've only done regular maintenance. Oil changes, tire rotations, alignments. I've had one tuneup. I replaced the tires at 60k and again recently at 100k. I do think I should get more miles from the tires but I only drive about 12k a year so I'm changing out tires every 4 to 5 years, which is reasonable. I replaced brakes twice too. Non-routine maintenance includes: 1. The driver's side window motor had to be replaced. I rolled it down one morning and it wouldn't go back up. 2. The fuel sensor went out after 3 years so I never had any idea how much gas was in the tank. I managed by the number of miles I was getting per tank! I didn't replace it because I figured it would be recalled due to the number of failures. And after a couple of years, it was recalled. Nissan replaced it for no charge and I only ran out of gas once in the 2-3 years I drove without it. I'm not sure the sensor fully works even now because it's supposed to have a 21 gallon tank but I have to fill up at 16-17 gallons. I don't sweat this since it's registering Empty earlier than it really would be. 3. The AC fan 2nd speed went out and had to be replaced. Speeds 1, 3 and 4 still worked so this was just an inconvenience more than a real repair I needed. 4. One of the engine igition coils went out around 100k miles. That's all I can recall having repaired. Four visits to the repair shop in 9 years is reasonable to me and better than any other car I've owned. Current issues I've noticed are: 1. There is a squeaking sound sometimes that can drive me crazy. For a while I thought it was the seats so I sprayed WD40 on everything that looked like it could use it. I did some reading and it seems like it could be the hood. That makes sense because when I close the doors, I hear the squeak outside the truck. This is intermittent - I don't hear it everytime I'm driving. But when I do, it's pretty loud and squeaks the whole drive. Hoping to find out if replacing the hood stops would fix that. 2. The back hatch shocks no longer hold the back up so I need to replace them. I found some youtube videos that show me how I can do that myself so I will be doing that shortly. This year truck is notorious for cracking the radiator so I'm thinking of trading it before that happens. It would suck to have this near perfect vehicle be completely useless and worth nothing because I drove it one day too long! But I can't say enough good things about it. Mine has been a joy to own and to drive. If I do trade it, I promise that I'll miss it!

Paint Problems
By Angela Bailey

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

First I have to say, I love this truck. There are few things I would change if given the opportunity. I've put a lot of miles on this vehicle-56,000 & I keep it in the garage when at home. The paint around the windshield is peeling off. Not cracking or chipping--peeling. Not just the clear coat or even top coat, but base coat down to bare metal. Apparently, Nissan & Co think it's perfectly normal for paint to peel off. Sadly, Nissan support & customer service is greatly lacking principles and integrity.

Love that 6 speed & power

A decent warranty on paint. Customer Service/Support.

Best Choice for a First, New SUV
By acegear

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I previously drove a used 02 Jetta. Likeing the handle of the road I had in mind a small SUV. My brand-new Xterra is everything but small yet not an overkill on sight and cost. It's a great transition to an SUV. Great quality, smooth appearance yet intimidating. Ease of performance and functionality. Best investment I've ever made. - 22 Tx

Roomie interior. Pallette options. Mines' Night Armor with tan & gray interior. You will not want to look away. Ease of a clean. Everything is sharp but meant to get dirty yet so easy to clean. So much room. Plus their are 2 glove boxes, 6 cup holders... trust me very convenient.

Nothing major. Cargo hard cover should be openable* even when cargo organizer is installed, visors should have lights installed, front seat belts should have a more functional place when not in use, i.e back seats have a part built in the seat that looks appealing to the eye.