Used 2006 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2006 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Great - until after 100K
By nomaddriver

2006 Nissan Xterra X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2006 Xterra new... LOVED IT. The design was awesome. It was a bit rough (its a truck after all) but comfortable overall. Powerful engine, though hard on gas. All sweet for first 3 yrs/ 65K miles. After that things started to all apart. Fuel sensor crapped out so I couldn't tell how much gas is left based on the fuel gauge. The driver windows stopped working. U-joints went. By the time I passed 100K, the transmission fluid leaked into the radiator and vice versa. Spent $1500 to replace the radiator and flushed the trans. only to have them tell me that I need a new transmission - $4-$5K (at 110K I wasn't able to go in reverse). Couldn't afford it so traded it at a loss.

Favorite Features

Looks, Power, all the bungee hooks in the cargo area.

Suggested Improvements

Install quality parts!

112,359 miles and still going strong
By rdossey

2006 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Pros; My 2006 Nissan Xterra Just had a few updates at 112,000 miles, new brakes, rotors, tires Generals, Synthetic oil change, and filter, transmission flush, added external transmission cooler, eliminated radiator transmission cooler. Cons; timing chain guide problems, very expensive $ 1800., Mine did not have this probem, Radiator fails leaks coolant in to transmission ruining transmission, $ 3800 repair. Mine did not have this problem. I added external transmission cooler, and eliminated the possible problem.

Favorite Features

Power, 4 X 4, easy ingress and egress, transmission very smooth shifting,

Suggested Improvements

go to 6 speed auto transmission, remove radiator transmission cooler, improve durability of timing chain and all hardware of timing chains, improve strength of oil dip stick

Best Family Trail 4x4
By kmsr

2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

If you need 4 or 5 seatbelts and want to fit on 4X4 trails, Xterra is hard to beat. More comfortable (I'm 6'4" and hit my head on Rubicon roll bar) and reliable than Jeep, more usable back seat and better visibility than FJ. A fraction of the cost of a Land Cruiser. Everything you need and nothing you don't. Seriously capable off road, especially with the right tires, lockers, and aftermarket mods. Great dimensions and clearance angles, especially when lifted.

Favorite Features

Stick shift, torque.

Suggested Improvements

Learn from most common aftermarket improvements and just build them that way from the beginning. Imagine if the Pro-4X model came already lifted with beefed up front (PRG Titan swap?) and rear ends, offroad bumpers (Shrock?), rear tire carrier, wider stance, etc. Oh, and just for fun, put the 5.6 V8 in there too! Then serve it up on 120 PSI bicycle tires so you can claim good mileage - buyers will go straight from the dealership to get their own favorite 35" MTs anyway!

A Rolling Money Pit
By jskirwin

2006 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

There's a very good reason why this truck has been rated as one of the worst used cars to buy. We bought our 2006 new. Mechanically things were fine for about 40k miles, and after that the truck simply fell apart even with constant maintenance. After warranty expired I replaced: Windshield. Both window lift assemblies and controls. The bearings and control arms on all 4 wheels. The rear differential. Rear lift arms. Alternator. Spark plugs and wires. Catalytic converters. But worst of all was the radiator/transmission cooler failure. That allowed the coolant to mix with the tranny fluid killing the transmission. It is a known problem - so avoid this truck and the heartache it brings.

Favorite Features

Looks great. Based on a truck platform, but note the Nissan Frontier also has the same issues with strawberry milkshake of death (SMOD - look it up) that ruins the transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Nissan was sued in a class action suit and settled, but the settlement was great for the lawyers and poor for Nissan owners. Because of its refusal to stand behind their products, I cannot recommend this truck and would recommend the Toyota 4Runner or Honda CRV (AWD) instead.

Couldn't be more pleased
By xterrajess

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the best vehicle. So incredibly reliable. Some fun facts: - In 7 years of ownership, I've never taken it to the shop for anything other than the regular oil change and tire rotation. - Front 2 seats are very comfortable. I get many comments on this. - Steering wheel offers some resistance when turning but is OK. - Stylish - Decent gas mileage for the year and type of vehicle - Lots of trunk space, tons when the back seats are down. I can fit a corner piece of furniture in the back standing upright in this thing. - Don't have to slam the doors for them to close - Nice blinker sound - Replacements parts (from minor fender benders & whatnot) are pretty cheap

Suggested Improvements

I absolutely love this vehicle, but if I'm going to be super picky I could name a couple of things to improve. A/C and heat: Even when turned to off, I can feel a breeze from the vents regardless of the settings. Also, there really is no comfortable set of settings for a long trip. I constantly move change the temp settings to remain comfortable. The forward/back adjustment lever works fine but the way it's designed causes everything to get stuck on it. Add an inside handle on the back door. Standard music system is pretty average...or less than average. I replaced it. Like I said, super picky. This is an awesome vehicle.