Very Satisfied
By Tex on
2005 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
I just purchased a 2005 Off Road 4wd model after much research. I love it. This may be one of the most underrated vehicles manufactured this year. The Xterra is solidly built and roughly 15-20k less than the Landrover LR3 or Discovery. While the latter may have the most advanced 4 wheel drive system of any SUV on the road (and posher interior), I bought the Nissan because I value reliability over anything else. I work in the back country and I can't break down. The Off Road edition has a stiffer feel and ride than the 4wd SE models I test drove and if anyone intends to use this vehicle for off-roading I would strongly suggest that you opt for the OR model over an S or SE.
Favorite Features
Utility, space, storage, power, handling (almost European feel with the OR 4x4 model) and cost. Purchased a fully loaded model (minus the Rockford Fosgate package) under invoice.
Suggested Improvements
Only complaint is with the stock radio. Talk about a theft deterrent. I plan on swapping it out. However, I wouldn't add on the Rockford Fosgate for 1600 more or purchase the SE. It is good but not great. I used that extra money where I needed it - the locking rear, hill descent, shocks, and tires.