2005 Nissan Xterra Consumer Review: Good UTILITY vehicle; gets th

2005 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Review

Good UTILITY vehicle; gets the job done
By alfalfa on

2005 Nissan Xterra S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This has been my daily driver for a year and a half and enjoyable for the most part. It's spacious, with plenty of cargo room with the rear seats down (I've hauled big screens in it, dogs, even an auger). Has a ton of power so you feel comfortable driving it on the highway and uphill (the engine rarely sounds strained). Gas mileage is what I would expect from a 4.0L. I tend to be a bit more aggressive on the gas pedal and get about 18.5 mpg (mixed hwy and city). Contrary to others' distaste with the interior, I like the rugged plastic and overall interior design. If you want something fancy, then look elsewhere. If you want simplicity and utility for a good price, take a look at the Xterra

Power, stiff suspension and simplistic design. It's meant to be a utility vehicle, not a luxury sedan. Feels and looks rugged. Not afraid to get dirty or take a beating (but don't get me wrong, you shouldn't treat it like trash).

Would hope their build quality improves somewhat. I've had to deal with a few annoying squeaks and the dealer has been less than helpful in locating and fixing them. If the car wasn't under warranty, I'd dig into the issues myself, but I'm making the dealer work for the money I gave them :).