Faulty radiator design destroys transmission
By argiad on
2005 Nissan Xterra S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
I too loved my Xterra up until a couple of months ago. Bad engine design results in a faulty radiator part leaking radiator fluid into the transmission, destroying the transmission and leading to upwards of $5-6k in repair costs. Early signs include a low rumbling while driving as though driving over rumble strips and disappear if you slow or accelerate. Do NOT ignore this! If you do you could end up with engine overheating at best or transmission failure while driving possibly resulting in an accident. This problem occured for me at 90K miles is a common occurance and for others has occured at as low as 50K. Nissan is fully aware of and has done nothing to fix the problem.
Suggested Improvements
Nissan hiding this problem from their customers is unacceptable and dangerous. Not only is it an extremely expensive problem, it cannot be fixed correctly. The original parts and design are faulty so simply replacing them will not fix the problem (Nissan has done this and the customers have the same problem again in 10K miles). In order to fix the problem a mechanic needs to install a cooling system bypass to prevent a leak into the transmission again, but mechanics have told me that that is not a good fix either as the fluid is then not properly cooled or heated. Nissan needs to find a way to fix this problem for their customers instead of leaving them to figure things out themselves.
By klw7713
on 11/12/11 06:38 AM (PST)

i have the same problem now too...guess what 8K in parts and labor...NISSAN WILL NOT HELP YOU!! DO NOT BUY this vehcile...i have the extended warranty and they do NOT cover the radiator, this has caused the failure of the transmission so they will not cover that either

By shuswaprob
on 02/23/11 15:14 PM (PST)

We purchased ours new and are currently having this same problem aswell as thousands of others. I just got off the phone with Nissan apparenmtly I am the first to notify them of this problem??

By 05xterra
on 06/17/11 07:09 AM (PDT)

I just took my Xterra to Fred Martin Nissan yesterday for the defective radiator and ruined transmission. I received a letter from Nissan about a year ago extending the warranty. To my surprise and pleasure they are going to replace both AND gave me a rental at no charge. No questions asked, no hassle, no excuses! I couldn't be more pleased!

By sparrow1257
on 01/31/12 21:05 PM (PST)

Challenge them regarding the extended. Nissans business practices are questionable at best. They tried to deny my towing fees that are covered under my warranty. When you log a dispute they waste months of your time giving you the runaround in hopes that you will go away.