2005 Nissan Xterra Consumer Review: Best Value SUV, Most Improved

2005 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Review

Off-Road 4dr SUV (4.0L V6 4x4 6-speed Manual)

Best Value SUV, Most Improved
By CHS on

2005 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

The redesigned Xterra is one of the best values in the market. With the new 265hp engine power is no longer a problem. Excellent engine braking with the manual transmission makes the HDC unneeded, glad I didn't get it. Gearing is low enough for actual off-road use, great power in the low end. The clutch cancel and locking rear make this vehicle a great value without expensive add-ons that other comparable vehicles require for off roading. Wind noise is greatly reduced from previous design overall much quieter ride. Built on a true truck platform this vehicle rides like it should, not like a car. What makes this one really stand out for me is attention to details such as wiper function.

Favorite Features

The off-road package is a great value. New roof rack, and design cuts wind noise greatly. Wipedown cargo area is keeping my truck much cleaner. The added roominess is a much appreciated improvment. Details such as delayed rear wiper and third passenger rear shoulder belt are great.

Suggested Improvements

The stock stereo, although great sounding is a bit lacking in features. The roof rack could use more carrying capacity, at only 150 pounds capacity I can easily max the rack out with my load basket, 35lbs itself. Rack is very functional in all other aspects, but limited load weight is a hindrance.