Used 2005 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews - 156 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Fun to drive with a few tradeoffs
By tnwea1

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

The drivetrain of the Xterra is great. The engine/ transmission work together well and the 4x4 works great. Rear seat entry is tough but roomy once you get in (I'm 6'2"). The plastic interior is easily scratched. We've had problems with a squeak in the hood latch and a noise from the fuel pump. Both of these noises were loud and took a while for the dealer to fix. Overall the Xterra has been a decent vehicle with a few minor problems.

Power and 4x4.

Better rear end suspension. More rear entry room, this could be a deal breaker if you haul adults in the back often.

Xterra
By Xtera Kev

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV Off-Road 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love this truck. I have been driving Explorers since 94. This thing smokes them 10 to 1. Plenty of power and off road it rocks. I go places where some jeeps have trouble. The ride is on par with the explorer. But the motor is way better. Mpg is about the same I avg about 20mpg 60/40 driving hwy/city. No problems of any kind yet.No rattles or squeaks I am at 60000 miles. Time for some new rubber. I just couldn't be happier.

Motor, off road capability, comments about it's ability. Rear diff lock,skid plates

A locking front diff. Longer arm rest. Driver's seat to go back a few more inches. alternator on top of the motor. more of a scratch resistant plastic inside and out

Outstanding transportation
By Norman Prevatt

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my wife's car. We purchased it for our move to N.VA from TX, because we would be back in snowy country in winter. She loves this vehicle, and it performs best in her hands. Her last trip to GA produced 23 mpg, with the "service engine soon" light on. I expect to keep this vehicle for many years unless gas goes over $5/gal. It is highly dependable, and perfect for our travels. Many will complain about performance/comfort issues, but most of these are people who are ignorant of what this thing is. It is a TRUCK! It is supposed to be tough. It's supposed to be rugged. The commercial says it best, "Everything you need. Nothin' you don't." Thank you.

Visibility, engine power/efficiency, good storage potential.

Think about a large efficient 4 cylinder turbo diesel model.

Sporty, Sporty and Fun!
By jenny

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I started shopping for a new vehicle the beginning of last year. Not one to make hasty decisions, I did my homework and finally settled on the XTerra months later. Man, am I happy I made the choice to buy this car!! The X is sporty, reliable and a blast to drive! I live on a dirt road that floods after rain and ruts out through the summer. The X rolls through both puddles and ditches without any problem. The ride is a little bumpy. That's what you get when you buy an off road vehicle. My car easily holds all my supplies for work, play, and most importantly my 105 lb.dog.

Ruggedness, easy to clean interior, power both on road and off. I've had my car almost vertical and it still kept climbing! Gas mileage is not the best, but definitely not the worst in this class. Suspension is great and ground clearance is even better!

My gas gauge started to flicker a little after mile 50,000. Sometimes it sticks, but besides this, really nothing to complain about. Maybe a better dog gate? I bought one from the dealership and they installed it. It cost me over $100 and within 1/2 hour of installation my little dog got through.

Solid SUV
By Murph

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

If you're expecting a plush SUV, this is not for you. The ride is not overly rough and the power is exceptional. The interior is solid with plenty of room for its class of SUV. Overall a very strong performer!!

Rockford Fosgate radio, rear cargo area, engine power, tons of accessory outlets, fold down seats.

Outdoor temperature, longer/closer center console arm rest, moonroof option, leather option, more scratch resistant interior plastic, "updated" dashboard, tighter steering, stronger braking, better gas mileage but I rather have the horses!!!