Used 2005 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Sporty, Sporty and Fun!
By jenny

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I started shopping for a new vehicle the beginning of last year. Not one to make hasty decisions, I did my homework and finally settled on the XTerra months later. Man, am I happy I made the choice to buy this car!! The X is sporty, reliable and a blast to drive! I live on a dirt road that floods after rain and ruts out through the summer. The X rolls through both puddles and ditches without any problem. The ride is a little bumpy. That's what you get when you buy an off road vehicle. My car easily holds all my supplies for work, play, and most importantly my 105 lb.dog.

Ruggedness, easy to clean interior, power both on road and off. I've had my car almost vertical and it still kept climbing! Gas mileage is not the best, but definitely not the worst in this class. Suspension is great and ground clearance is even better!

My gas gauge started to flicker a little after mile 50,000. Sometimes it sticks, but besides this, really nothing to complain about. Maybe a better dog gate? I bought one from the dealership and they installed it. It cost me over $100 and within 1/2 hour of installation my little dog got through.

Solid SUV
By Murph

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

If you're expecting a plush SUV, this is not for you. The ride is not overly rough and the power is exceptional. The interior is solid with plenty of room for its class of SUV. Overall a very strong performer!!

Rockford Fosgate radio, rear cargo area, engine power, tons of accessory outlets, fold down seats.

Outdoor temperature, longer/closer center console arm rest, moonroof option, leather option, more scratch resistant interior plastic, "updated" dashboard, tighter steering, stronger braking, better gas mileage but I rather have the horses!!!

Loved It But It Let Me Down
By NewJeepGirl

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I really loved this truck. Had great performance-never seemed to lack HP, 6 spd tranny lots of fun. ABS computer died at 400 miles none of the gauges worked. Cam seal started leaking at 23K, then dealership couldn't get parts claiming they were hopelessly backordered. Nissan Corporate was no help either. Nice truck if you get a reliable one (good luck-it's a crap shoot). Family has had good luck with older Nissans-this one was definitely my last. Traded it for an 08 Jeep Patriot, and was so glad I did-AWD, Lifetime powertrain warentee, better ride and easier to get in/out of. Can't tow my camper like the X, but that's what my '97 Ford Expedition is for!

Performance, 6 spd manual, dual glove box plus console, wipe down luggage area, bumpers in steps

Build quality-what the heck! Cam seals should NEVER fail at 23K. Cargo always banged around cargo area because it was so slick. Ice gets caught in roof racks, making it awful to get out (like 20 lb ice chunks you have to chop out pain!).

Xterra
By stultze

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great truck. Good performance, great build quality, OK gas mileage for a 6 cylinder SUV, good looks and a blast to drive both on and offroad.

Engine is strong and will get up and go.

SOOOO UPSET ABOUT THIS TRUCK!
By SeverelyDisappointed

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I fully researched this truck before buying. Had given a glowing review before-now take it all back. Had it for 2.5 years, now the cam seal is leaking oil on exhaust manifold. Has totally shaken my faith in the truck. As soon as it's fixed-selling totally. Bought this truck for the rugged off road looks and sport utility features. Now it's just a sexy piece of crap. I really liked driving it-the 6 speed manual is great, and the horsepower was outstanding, until it started leaking like a sieve. My kids and I were really upset over having to give it up. After this experience, I will neever buy a Nissan again! I've had used cars that lasted longer than this!

Horsepower, the solid feel and noiseproofing-high seating and good stereo.

Master computer crapped out at 400 miles so none of the dash worked at all incl. speedo. Now the engine is leaking oil. Piece of crap engine- extremely disappointed in Nissan "Quality" what a joke!! Make a vehicle that will last - this never should have happened at 23K!! :(