Used 2005 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Solid SUV
By Murph

2005 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

If you're expecting a plush SUV, this is not for you. The ride is not overly rough and the power is exceptional. The interior is solid with plenty of room for its class of SUV. Overall a very strong performer!!

Favorite Features

Rockford Fosgate radio, rear cargo area, engine power, tons of accessory outlets, fold down seats.

Suggested Improvements

Outdoor temperature, longer/closer center console arm rest, moonroof option, leather option, more scratch resistant interior plastic, "updated" dashboard, tighter steering, stronger braking, better gas mileage but I rather have the horses!!!

Loved It But It Let Me Down
By NewJeepGirl

2005 Nissan Xterra S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I really loved this truck. Had great performance-never seemed to lack HP, 6 spd tranny lots of fun. ABS computer died at 400 miles none of the gauges worked. Cam seal started leaking at 23K, then dealership couldn't get parts claiming they were hopelessly backordered. Nissan Corporate was no help either. Nice truck if you get a reliable one (good luck-it's a crap shoot). Family has had good luck with older Nissans-this one was definitely my last. Traded it for an 08 Jeep Patriot, and was so glad I did-AWD, Lifetime powertrain warentee, better ride and easier to get in/out of. Can't tow my camper like the X, but that's what my '97 Ford Expedition is for!

Favorite Features

Performance, 6 spd manual, dual glove box plus console, wipe down luggage area, bumpers in steps

Suggested Improvements

Build quality-what the heck! Cam seals should NEVER fail at 23K. Cargo always banged around cargo area because it was so slick. Ice gets caught in roof racks, making it awful to get out (like 20 lb ice chunks you have to chop out pain!).

Xterra
By stultze

2005 Nissan Xterra S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great truck. Good performance, great build quality, OK gas mileage for a 6 cylinder SUV, good looks and a blast to drive both on and offroad.

Favorite Features

Engine is strong and will get up and go.

SOOOO UPSET ABOUT THIS TRUCK!
By SeverelyDisappointed

2005 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I fully researched this truck before buying. Had given a glowing review before-now take it all back. Had it for 2.5 years, now the cam seal is leaking oil on exhaust manifold. Has totally shaken my faith in the truck. As soon as it's fixed-selling totally. Bought this truck for the rugged off road looks and sport utility features. Now it's just a sexy piece of crap. I really liked driving it-the 6 speed manual is great, and the horsepower was outstanding, until it started leaking like a sieve. My kids and I were really upset over having to give it up. After this experience, I will neever buy a Nissan again! I've had used cars that lasted longer than this!

Favorite Features

Horsepower, the solid feel and noiseproofing-high seating and good stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Master computer crapped out at 400 miles so none of the dash worked at all incl. speedo. Now the engine is leaking oil. Piece of crap engine- extremely disappointed in Nissan "Quality" what a joke!! Make a vehicle that will last - this never should have happened at 23K!! :(

Nothing beats the Goat
By LuvmyXterra

2005 Nissan Xterra S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

My husband and I refer to my truck as the Billy Goat or the X-terrible, because it gets out of anything. Frankly, it's unstoppable. We tow our 24 foot trailer with it, and can get out of any snowy condition. I totally disagree with some of the other comments about the ride-we have 2 kids who love taking trips in our X. We recently took ours from CT to Penn, VT and RI. It's plenty comfortable, and we love the great capabilities and thoughtful extras. It was the only man shift available that could tow 5K lbs. It's got so much pickup, that it never seems winded on the hwy. Great multi-purpose ute. Great machine - buy it. What other vehicle has a tent that you can hook to the back?

Favorite Features

Horsepower to spare. 5K towing with man tranny. Gadgets like side step, gear box, easy clean mats, trunk storage under mat, heavy duty floor mats. Built like a brick house. So fun to drive!! This truck is the bomb baby! It drives rings around our Expedition! Feels like a sports car.

Suggested Improvements

Turbo diesel, outside temp gauge in rear view mirror. I realize you can't get 30 mpg and tow 5K at the same time.