Used 2005 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews - 156 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

dependable workhorse
By msferd

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

nice. nice. nice. bought this vehicle to help me rebuild after Hurricane Katrina. The shock came when I was able to haul a 5ft patio door with ease.

cargo space

better sound system

great rugged truck
By armydad

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Nissan xterra has been a great truck, 70,000 miles and no problems, still have the factory breaks, just now had to replace the tires. Truck does great in all weather, im in the army and currently living in Kansas, lots of snow and ice in the winter, truck does better than a lot of 4x4 trucks, I pass them all the time on the roads stuck in the snow, mpg not as good as I would like but is not bad considering the engine size and h. P. All and all great truck!

lots of power for towing my 4wheeler, and pure outdoor ruggedness.

fuel economy, independent rear suspension, SE with manual tranny

Quality Of Parts Questionable.
By bingee

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The rear bumper started rusting after just 3 years. This is a car that is garage kept. Now the fuel gauge doesn't work because the fuel level sensor is defective. It's a $600 fix that has been a problem with Nissans since 2000. So why do they continue to install defective parts year after year? And there are lots of rattles. No more Nissans for me.

Does well in pulling a trailer. Fits well into the garage.

Make the rear bumper rust proof. And start installing a fuel level sensor that is not defective.

Just purchased - initial reactions
By Ryan

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I'd been casually shopping for a 2003-2005 Xterra for a few months. I really prefer the body style of the 2005-2009s so I've been looking for one within my budget. Now that I have it, I couldn't be happier. I read a lot of reviews on the model so had a good idea of what to expect. The "get up and go" is fantastic. I'm coming from driving a VW GTI, so I needed something with a little "oomph" that I was used to. I really like all of the clever compartments throughout the car (2 glove boxes, roof rack storage box, floor storage compartment under hatch bed, etc.). If you have a lot in your car, It helps to stay clean and organized.

Exterior look, storage and compartments, power and speed, simple mechanical knobs for heater and AC, lumbar support in driver seat, driver seat roominess/comfort(other reviews had mentioned it being cramped, but I'm 6'2 and I've got plenty of room), fold flat rear seats.

Make running boards standard with all models. MPG. Vanity mirrors on visors (my wife's only disappointment thus far). I'm reaching here, I love this car.

Great Truck for a Buck
By johng

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Nissan X-Terra SE in 2005 brand new. I wanted BASIC reliable transportation and 4wheel drive. Live in the northeast. I have just under 40000 miles I've replaced the brakes all around once along with routine maintenance. The truck always starts always gets me where I have to go. Wish the gas mileage was better but I knew what I was getting when I made the purchase. The engine has loads of power and handle like a stable truck. This is not meant to be a fancy ride. Its a basic good honest truck, that's it.

The power and ride

The fit and finish could be better. the interior plastics are kinda cheap looking and feeling. Wish the seats had more support. But it is a Nissan X-Terra not a high end vehicle so you get what you pay for.