2005 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
Well rounded suv
By Jeffvibe03 on 05/26/06 22:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has surprised me every time I drive it. It has superior handling for a truck based SUV and is extremely powerful for a V6. On a recent 1500 mile trip averaged 23 mpg. Was extremely comfortable, even if the ride is tuned on the sporty side. Overall I would recommend to anyone looking for a rugged and fun to drive SUV to check it out!

fun to drive
By gary on 05/08/06 02:30 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

only had the X for 5 months but it is just a ball to drive. i have never been happier with a vehicle

Awesome little SUV
By Pwrl3ss on 04/18/06 05:29 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV Off-Road 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

My wife and I are really happy about our decision to buy a new 2nd gen. Xterra. We were considering buying a H3, but in comparison to what you get for the price, the X made more sense. Don't get me wrong, the H3 is nice (under-powered though) but it's not worth the extra $10k for it. I would say the fit and finish of our Xterra is as good if not better than the H3. The cabin is quiet when cruising around. Interior noise under acceleration though seems a little loud but hey that's a good thing because it reminds you got a little monster under the hood. The X definitely has power on tap, which was I think the biggest factor in our decision to buy the X.

Best Midsize SUV
By Mike on 03/15/06 19:57 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV Off-Road 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Very happy with the performance so far. No problems after 16,000 miles. I chose the 6 speed because of the better gas mileage and lower cost up front. I spend alot of time on the highway, and i cant complain about the handling and comfort. It helps when you have the optional stereo. Road noise at 80 mph is minimal.

'05 Xterra S 6-speed
By Jim on 02/28/06 22:10 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought it used with 900 miles, have put 5000 miles on it, with no problems. Fun to drive, very roomy, handles and performs well. 6-speed Manual gets up to 25 mpg on the highway. Glad that I bought this vehicle.

What a terrific 4x4 !
By El Greco on 02/24/06 13:16 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've driven Mitsubishi Monteros since 1984 in Saudi, China Indonesia, Greece and the U.S.; in dificult off-road terrains in all weather conditions. This is our second Xterra(previous one was a 2003 SE),and I simply love it. More power,better on and off-road manners and abilty/prowess. One complaint:make the outside temperature gauge standard, add a compass (much needed!) and make the arm-rest on top of the center console slideable(back and forth, on a hidden track just like the Mitsu Monteros; post-2003 models) Then,do nothing! You'll have the perfect 4x4 SUV! fyi: I'm taking my 05 Xterra to Greece this April to October for some serious offroading; just like last year and the year before with the Montero!

fun to drive
By John on 02/20/06 06:51 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

You have to love the power and handling of this vehicle! I wish it would get maybe a little better gas mileage, but then the power would have to be lowered...guess paying a little more on your gas bill makes it worth it in the long run...shes a bit on the stiffer side, but thats a good thing in my book Mate!

Best for the price
By TransitionX on 02/11/06 12:05 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV Off-Road Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have the 05 off-road 4wd with a manual tranny for about a mth now. This SUV performs really well in moderate snow condition. Works great on steep climbs. The Rockford Fosgate sound package is not quite as impressive as they advertise it to be. I like the 6 spd transmission, but don't really see the use for the 6th gear. You probably will never need to use it unless you live in Montana or something. The overall look of this vehicle is quite impressive and I am very happy with it thus far. You cannot buy a better SUV for the price that these things are selling for.

2005 Xterra
By Kent on 01/29/06 01:03 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased a new left-over 2005 Xterra S two weeks ago. Was looking at the Liberty, but the Xterra has so many more features and rides much better, and got it for a slightly better price. The truck has a great stance - aggressive and stylish - and the dark black is an eye-catcher. Lots of compliments. Very comfortable inside and the truck just rides and feels solid. Just as fun as my 2001 Jetta. The seats are great and the 6 speed manual is german-car quality.

Solid
By Regor on 01/27/06 22:22 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, a very solid vehicle. Nissan delivers on the promise of a no BS vehicle. If you want leather(like some misguided reviewers), buy a Pathfinder. If you want a solid vehicle, no-nonsense performance, good off-road performance (even with an SE), and reasonable creature comforts (go for the Pathfinder for Luxury), then buy this vehicle. No other brand fits this niche. By the way, this is an SUV, so don't expect great mileage. Pros include power, great engineering, comfort, utility, great handling (for an SUV), and the rear bumper side steps (just cleared the snow off the top, awesome). Cons: uneducated buyers. If you want a car- like ride or economy, buy a hybrid sedan.