2005 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
Traded in after numerous repairs
By houstontxowner on 03/24/11 13:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Absolutely loved my Xterra, kept it maintained and planned to keep it a very long time. Then the problems started after I hit 60,000 miles. Fuel sensor, several batteries, belts (that had screeched since 1 year old and dealer couldn't figure out), then the tensioners, timing chain. After that $1,000+ repair, saw online all the radiator leaks into the transmission being reported and decided to cut my losses and traded it in. Received notification of an extended warranty on the radiator/tranny failure to 80,000 miles the week after I traded it. Had 70,000 on it anyway and would not have been willing to take a chance on needing that $5,000 repair. Depressing.

Faulty radiator design destroys transmission
By argiad on 12/27/10 20:02 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I too loved my Xterra up until a couple of months ago. Bad engine design results in a faulty radiator part leaking radiator fluid into the transmission, destroying the transmission and leading to upwards of $5-6k in repair costs. Early signs include a low rumbling while driving as though driving over rumble strips and disappear if you slow or accelerate. Do NOT ignore this! If you do you could end up with engine overheating at best or transmission failure while driving possibly resulting in an accident. This problem occured for me at 90K miles is a common occurance and for others has occured at as low as 50K. Nissan is fully aware of and has done nothing to fix the problem.

5 Year Review
By Solid Vehicle on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought mine brand new in 2005. I now have 116,000 miles on the vehicle. I do a lot of driving. This is a fun car to drive on road and off road. I have taken it on many off road trails and it handles very well off road and will climb steep hills, drive through muddy roads, deep snow. Quality wise it's a good vehicle, I've had problems with the CD player, I'm on my 3rd one right now. I've had some squeaky belts replaced a few, this can be annoying with the car squeaking. The most expensive repair I've had is when the computer went out on the car and the car was out of warranty.

Transmission Failures
By chrisb on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

2005 Nissan Xterras and Pathfinders have a known and fairly widespread problem with radiator failures. When the radiator fails, it dumps engine coolant (antifreeze) into the transmission. This of course ruins the transmission. Total repair cost is over $5,000. Nissan has not issued a service bulletin on this problem and according to senior person in "Consumer Relations" he had never heard of this problem before.

Loved it. now I hate it.
By FrmXLvr on 10/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Everything I needed in a SUV and the stereo was simply the best. I had 3 trouble free years with the exception of the trailer hitch recall. Then the first of what was to become an endless string of repairs began with the $500 gas sender. Another known defective Nissan part that we the consumer had to eat. 3 months later, new brakes and front U joints. New battery and tires at 40,000 miles. Had the recall for the airbag sensor fixed in early 2010 along with a radiator flush. This September fell victim to the radiator failure/ tranny fry. I'm having it fixed independently as Nissan refused any assistance. I am also suing Nissan for my costs. Been a Nissan man for a while. No more.

Loved it until this year
By dissappointed on 09/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it new, this year has been hell.I spent about 2k in one month. then the catalytic converters went out. Covered by warranty but Celebrity Nissan did a horrible job with the repair and charged me 200 for some testing that no one can explain. In the end Reed Nissan had to put a new engine in it about a month ago. Still having problems with transmission slipping but no one will take responsibility for it. Big surprise. Nissan of North America will do nothing for you if you have problems. I want to get rid of this car now. Until this year I loved it but I'm so disappointed now with the dealership and Nissan in general. Does anyone stand behind their products anymore. NO!

Nissan defective radiator fries tranny
By NY4WLR on 07/23/10 11:13 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Loved the truck for the 1st 3 years. Even after eating the defective fuel sender repair $500. But now I have fallen victim to the growing radiator leaking into the transmission defect. Nissan is refusing to acknowledge this growing problem. If you have a Nissan 4 wheel drive circa 2005-07 go to an independent mechanic and have transmission fluid checked for contamination. If you catch it in time you can head off the $7000 transmission/radiator replacement.

Unsatisfied
By nicki weatherly on 07/12/10 16:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Loved this truck when I bought it always believed in Nissan until know. Buyer beware transmission cooler failed I may be looking at replacing a transmission Nissan new this was happening and have failed to recall the issue leaving us buyer the cost of the repairs 5000 to 6000. Will never buy a Nissan again.,

Love It but
By Broker on 07/10/10 20:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Got Mine new. Loved it and babied it. Great power, handling and easy to drive and park. No problems at all. Literally NONE. Then.....75K and it fell apart. AC, water pump, differential, belt tensioner, rattles galore. It was like I got into someone else's vehicle. Maintenance was unbelievable. Hoses--- look out, there are a bunch and they COST. Brakes. WOW. Transmission fluid. Unbelievable. Sealed unit and ONLY dealer can get the "special" fluid easily. Nothing is ever in stock and will sit at dealer or even local guys) for days waiting. I still LOVE my baby, but Ford is my next bet.

Everything you need, nothing you don't.
By ZtotheX on 06/28/10 15:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Get up and go. Anywhere. My wife had an '04 and the differences are tremendous. 4x4 is flawless in the snow. Gas mileage is around 20 mpg. Lots of storage compartments and lots of cup holders are a plus.