Used 2005 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Solid
By Regor

2005 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, a very solid vehicle. Nissan delivers on the promise of a no BS vehicle. If you want leather(like some misguided reviewers), buy a Pathfinder. If you want a solid vehicle, no-nonsense performance, good off-road performance (even with an SE), and reasonable creature comforts (go for the Pathfinder for Luxury), then buy this vehicle. No other brand fits this niche. By the way, this is an SUV, so don't expect great mileage. Pros include power, great engineering, comfort, utility, great handling (for an SUV), and the rear bumper side steps (just cleared the snow off the top, awesome). Cons: uneducated buyers. If you want a car- like ride or economy, buy a hybrid sedan.

Favorite Features

Engine (wow). Drivetrain (perfect match). Capability (you don't need an OR to go offroad). Amenities (they really do deliver on everything you need...). This vehicle delivers to an active lifestyle with a lot of style. And what is this about cheap plastic? If you want leather, get an Infinity.

Suggested Improvements

None. Nissan has delivered on their promise.

Just Plain Awesome
By Leah

2005 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had been considering the Xterra for about 2 years. I previously had a GMC Jimmy. I would rather have one Xterra than 10 GM models. The design of the Xterra is overall more appealing and more user friendly. Nissan was definetely thinking when they designed this SUV.

Favorite Features

Auto Dimming Mirror, Rubber Floor Mats, road emergency kit and first aid kit

Suggested Improvements

The rear bumper is to high for vertically challanged people. When it is rainy or snowy out to put items in the back becomes a problem when your coat drags in the wet slop on the bumper

Truly a "Shift" in the Nissan sense
By JH in TX

2005 Nissan Xterra SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Traded in an '02 Maxima SE for my Xterra (different needs) and I love my new rig. Nissan really has their stuff together and I am glad to benefit from their change in styling, performance, and quality. I made the move from Honda to Nissan in '98 and haven't regretted it at all. I thoroughly enjoy my new Xterra from its powerful engine to the great stereo. The ride is firm but controlled, and the stereo is fantastic (much better than the Bose in my Maxima). Combine that with great reliablity and a strong dealership--this Xterra makes the ninth Nissan purchased by our family or neighbors from Peacock Nissan in the last 4 years--and you can't go wrong. My dogs love it too.

Favorite Features

Great seats, stereo, room inside, flexibility, visibility, towing ability, styling--I like the way my rig looks. I like the little "storage" compartment on roof rack for wet clothes. I like that Nissan thinks about the little things. I like that my Xterra is assembled in the US--a lot. Go Smyrna

Suggested Improvements

Center armrest is a little too low and a bit too far back. I wish that Nissan would backlight the controls on the steering wheel.

Good for what it is
By rizzo

2005 Nissan Xterra S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I replace my VW Passat with this vehicle, and based on my experiences with nissan, I am expecting better reliability. First of all, this is a truck, if you want a car, or an SUV that drives like a car -- don't but this vehicle. Utility is great, with little storage spaces everywhere. It drives alright for a truck, and seems pretty stable. I'm 6'4", nad have a enough legroom - something that set it apart from others in its' class. I'm getting about 18 MPG, which is ~ok~, but certainly not good The only real negative is he stock setero -it's gotta go - terrible brakes are a little soft for my liking, but I am comparing it to a BMW 325 and VW Passat.

Favorite Features

Engine power, off road capabilities, convienience

Suggested Improvements

Better stock head Unit - come on Nissan! Gas mileage is better bad, all things considered.

Xterra Offroad 05
By Ciscom

2005 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned a Nissan and was very happy with the quality and reliability of Nissan's products. I went from a Nissan pickup to the Xterra and am very satisfied with this SUV. Fuel mileage is better than I expected (6 cyl.) Performance, quality, looks/styling are all good. One suggestion to Nissan, cutback on the amount of interior plastic, otherwise the Xterra is an excellant SUV.

Favorite Features

Plenty of power outlets!

Suggested Improvements

Interior could use some upgraded materials (center console and rear cargo hold), more leather?