Used 2005 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

2005 Xterra
By Kent

2005 Nissan Xterra S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased a new left-over 2005 Xterra S two weeks ago. Was looking at the Liberty, but the Xterra has so many more features and rides much better, and got it for a slightly better price. The truck has a great stance - aggressive and stylish - and the dark black is an eye-catcher. Lots of compliments. Very comfortable inside and the truck just rides and feels solid. Just as fun as my 2001 Jetta. The seats are great and the 6 speed manual is german-car quality.

6 speed manual transmission, seats, drivability.

Sunroof option would be great.

Solid
By Regor

2005 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, a very solid vehicle. Nissan delivers on the promise of a no BS vehicle. If you want leather(like some misguided reviewers), buy a Pathfinder. If you want a solid vehicle, no-nonsense performance, good off-road performance (even with an SE), and reasonable creature comforts (go for the Pathfinder for Luxury), then buy this vehicle. No other brand fits this niche. By the way, this is an SUV, so don't expect great mileage. Pros include power, great engineering, comfort, utility, great handling (for an SUV), and the rear bumper side steps (just cleared the snow off the top, awesome). Cons: uneducated buyers. If you want a car- like ride or economy, buy a hybrid sedan.

Engine (wow). Drivetrain (perfect match). Capability (you don't need an OR to go offroad). Amenities (they really do deliver on everything you need...). This vehicle delivers to an active lifestyle with a lot of style. And what is this about cheap plastic? If you want leather, get an Infinity.

None. Nissan has delivered on their promise.

Just Plain Awesome
By Leah

2005 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had been considering the Xterra for about 2 years. I previously had a GMC Jimmy. I would rather have one Xterra than 10 GM models. The design of the Xterra is overall more appealing and more user friendly. Nissan was definetely thinking when they designed this SUV.

Auto Dimming Mirror, Rubber Floor Mats, road emergency kit and first aid kit

The rear bumper is to high for vertically challanged people. When it is rainy or snowy out to put items in the back becomes a problem when your coat drags in the wet slop on the bumper

Truly a "Shift" in the Nissan sense
By JH in TX

2005 Nissan Xterra SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Traded in an '02 Maxima SE for my Xterra (different needs) and I love my new rig. Nissan really has their stuff together and I am glad to benefit from their change in styling, performance, and quality. I made the move from Honda to Nissan in '98 and haven't regretted it at all. I thoroughly enjoy my new Xterra from its powerful engine to the great stereo. The ride is firm but controlled, and the stereo is fantastic (much better than the Bose in my Maxima). Combine that with great reliablity and a strong dealership--this Xterra makes the ninth Nissan purchased by our family or neighbors from Peacock Nissan in the last 4 years--and you can't go wrong. My dogs love it too.

Great seats, stereo, room inside, flexibility, visibility, towing ability, styling--I like the way my rig looks. I like the little "storage" compartment on roof rack for wet clothes. I like that Nissan thinks about the little things. I like that my Xterra is assembled in the US--a lot. Go Smyrna

Center armrest is a little too low and a bit too far back. I wish that Nissan would backlight the controls on the steering wheel.

Good for what it is
By rizzo

2005 Nissan Xterra S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I replace my VW Passat with this vehicle, and based on my experiences with nissan, I am expecting better reliability. First of all, this is a truck, if you want a car, or an SUV that drives like a car -- don't but this vehicle. Utility is great, with little storage spaces everywhere. It drives alright for a truck, and seems pretty stable. I'm 6'4", nad have a enough legroom - something that set it apart from others in its' class. I'm getting about 18 MPG, which is ~ok~, but certainly not good The only real negative is he stock setero -it's gotta go - terrible brakes are a little soft for my liking, but I am comparing it to a BMW 325 and VW Passat.

Engine power, off road capabilities, convienience

Better stock head Unit - come on Nissan! Gas mileage is better bad, all things considered.