2005 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
I Made it to 140k Miles
By silentrick on 07/26/12 12:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have been pretty pleased overall with my 2005 Xterra. I have over 140,000 miles on it and I'm just now experiencing major issues with it. I've had recurring issues with the O2 sensors going out more than once and now I need a new catalytic converter. I wasn't aware of the transmission and radiator issues on the 2005 models until I read this post. As it turns out, I too have an issue with a cracked radiator leaking into my tranny and now I need to replace both. I thought it could have been due to a minor fender bender a few months back but now I'm not so sure, especially because I was hit in the rear. Seems like I got lucky to have made it as far as I did on mine.

Hanging on by a thread
By sparrow1257 on 01/31/12 21:02 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love the car but will never purchase another Nissan. I bought the car new and starting at 15k miles the repairs started and never ended: tensioned assembly replaced three times, all brake assemblies replaced at 25k miles, transmission and radiator replaced due to fluid peeking into the transmission, cracked transfer case, bad veil and oil sending units, abs assembly on the driver side completely failed, coolant leaking onto passenger side firewall. Fortunately I purchased the 100k extended. I have 105k miles on the car. My total out of pocket for the past year would have been $18k if not for the warranty!! That is a new car! Nissan also damaged car during repairs and refused to pay.

radiator/transmission
By cindy0710 on 07/12/11 22:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I, too, have experienced the faulty radiator leaking into the transmission and ruining it...I have 109000 miles so it is beyond the 80000 mile warranty and nissan wants thousands to fix it....acknowledging that the faulty radiator caused the problem, not wear, tear, etc.....so now they want me to pay the hefty bill for a new radiator and transmission for a defect in the automobile....Shame on Nissan for not recalling and fixing this problem

Loved it until this year
By dissappointed on 09/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it new, this year has been hell.I spent about 2k in one month. then the catalytic converters went out. Covered by warranty but Celebrity Nissan did a horrible job with the repair and charged me 200 for some testing that no one can explain. In the end Reed Nissan had to put a new engine in it about a month ago. Still having problems with transmission slipping but no one will take responsibility for it. Big surprise. Nissan of North America will do nothing for you if you have problems. I want to get rid of this car now. Until this year I loved it but I'm so disappointed now with the dealership and Nissan in general. Does anyone stand behind their products anymore. NO!

Love It but
By Broker on 07/10/10 20:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Got Mine new. Loved it and babied it. Great power, handling and easy to drive and park. No problems at all. Literally NONE. Then.....75K and it fell apart. AC, water pump, differential, belt tensioner, rattles galore. It was like I got into someone else's vehicle. Maintenance was unbelievable. Hoses--- look out, there are a bunch and they COST. Brakes. WOW. Transmission fluid. Unbelievable. Sealed unit and ONLY dealer can get the "special" fluid easily. Nothing is ever in stock and will sit at dealer or even local guys) for days waiting. I still LOVE my baby, but Ford is my next bet.

great rugged truck
By armydad on 06/23/09 03:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Nissan xterra has been a great truck, 70,000 miles and no problems, still have the factory breaks, just now had to replace the tires. Truck does great in all weather, im in the army and currently living in Kansas, lots of snow and ice in the winter, truck does better than a lot of 4x4 trucks, I pass them all the time on the roads stuck in the snow, mpg not as good as I would like but is not bad considering the engine size and h. P. All and all great truck!

Love my X!!
By SciFiChick on 12/22/06 07:44 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my X. Bought it in 2006 after a lost love affair with BMW. Had an X3 which I traded for the X-Terra. The X-Terra blows away the BMW. Love the stereo, though suggest if you like Sirius, get it factory installed. Love the seats, love the handling. There is a little paint drip mark on the rear gate, but I am a nitpicker. Handles like a dream, and, where flooding is prevalent, it skims over most anything. Highly recommend this SUV to anyone looking for a sporty, fun drive. Get the SE, or the Off- Road. Power doors/locks make the difference. Need to upgrade (too many guests in the car), cannot bring myself to get rid of my X-Terra.

Great SUV, big stereo problems
By dilan55 on 11/15/06 14:49 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Xterra, it was everything I wanted. Having said that, I am disappointed with the Rockford Fosgate stereo. I've had to get it replaced twice, lost over $100 worth of cd's. I also had issues with the A/C not working which took two trips to the dealership to get fixed. All this has been under warranty, but I will have to trade before the warranty is up, I can't afford the maintenance. At my last oil change I was told there were problems with the suspension system. What next????

Nissans have poor paint jobs
By timothy on 07/08/06 14:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My paint job is horrible and i got luv bugs on it , and in just a couple of hours it took the paint off, my dealership will not fix it it is a cheap paint job

Well rounded suv
By Jeffvibe03 on 05/26/06 22:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has surprised me every time I drive it. It has superior handling for a truck based SUV and is extremely powerful for a V6. On a recent 1500 mile trip averaged 23 mpg. Was extremely comfortable, even if the ride is tuned on the sporty side. Overall I would recommend to anyone looking for a rugged and fun to drive SUV to check it out!