2005 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
Shame on Nissan!!
By torrdcs on 05/30/13 05:30 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased at 64000 miles, drove it, loved it, no problems at all other than the tire pressure light after so many miles of consistent driving. Then, at 121,000 miles, boom... transmission failure. Upon further research, it is a NISSAN DEFECT in the radiator that Nissan refuses to address more than a little warranty increase, and even THAT took a lawsuit. I spent $3000+ over a period of 8 months to fix it and it still wasn't fixed. I had to purchase another vehicle to drive while it was down. I ran out of money, so I was forced to trade the XTerra with $3500 of negative equity, totaling near $7000 that I lost on this vehicle, due to Nissan and its ways. NEVER. AGAIN.

Fun to drive
By haus1984 on 01/24/13 09:19 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this a year ago at 67K miles. In that time I've put about 20K on it. This thing is a lot of fun to drive. It will get up and go! Turns on a dime for an SUV. Seats 5 comfortably. The rear and passenger seats fold down easily and allow for a lot of cargo. It rides nicely and is very comfortable both on and off road. By off road I mean actual trails. Mine has VDC and it works great in snow & mud. Great visibility in all directions. The interior is cheap plastic. Things slide around in the “trunk.” Tire Pressure siren goes off a lot. I’m not going to overinflate the tires so I live with it. I check the trans fluid for murkiness often just to be on the safe side. Haven’t had an issue yet.

Found a friend with Nissan
By troberts3 on 09/21/11 19:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Owned a Cadillac CTS when I bought "The X" and didn't drive the CTS for three weeks because I loved The X so much. Purchased used 05/2010 at 65K, now has 101K. I have replaced NOTHING! Solid, reliable truck with compartments everywhere for storage. Finally sold my Cadillac because I liked the Nissan better. I will stay with Nissan as long as they keep making vehicles like this one. My ONLY complaint: Back seat leg room. My friends have a lot of trouble getting in and out. One other thing: Tire pressure light comes on after traveling a constant speed for 40-50 miles. Does it every time. I think it's the new tires. Not sure...

Faulty radiator design destroys transmission
By argiad on 12/27/10 20:02 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I too loved my Xterra up until a couple of months ago. Bad engine design results in a faulty radiator part leaking radiator fluid into the transmission, destroying the transmission and leading to upwards of $5-6k in repair costs. Early signs include a low rumbling while driving as though driving over rumble strips and disappear if you slow or accelerate. Do NOT ignore this! If you do you could end up with engine overheating at best or transmission failure while driving possibly resulting in an accident. This problem occured for me at 90K miles is a common occurance and for others has occured at as low as 50K. Nissan is fully aware of and has done nothing to fix the problem.

Best true SUV
By Joe 6 Pack on 12/07/05 14:20 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

If you are looking for a vehicle that puts the "Utility" back in SUV then this vehicle is for you. This is not one of those sissy soccer mom SUV's!!! I bought my Xterra a few months ago and I absolutely love it. There is no where this cannot go and nothing it cannot do. Thought about getting a Jeep Liberty (less interior room and more expensive) and a Toyota 4Runner (much more expensive feature-to- feature), but overall the Xterra was a much better value. Absolutely no regrets

2005 Xterra
By T.L. Jumper on 11/29/05 18:24 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great mid size SUV, tough little vehicle. Handles well, feels very stable on the road. Plenty of power, the 6 speed is easy to shift and drive. Lots of fun to drive.

Love the New X
By linitbb on 10/06/05 21:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Best SUV for my dollars. I owned a 4Runner, a Yukon and a CRV. The new Xterra is by far the best. Rugged yet comfortable, powerful yet economical, simple yet refined. I'm getting a little over 20 mpg in combined driving with AC and couldn't be happier with the way it handles, drives and looks. A true SUV for on and off road. Nissan has built a winner.

Gas
By JASON on 07/01/05 12:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

It handles very nicely i just wish it would get better gas mileage on the interstate. I travel with 3 kids 70 miles round trip so far i like it. Its roomy and comfy.

2005 Solar Yellow X - WOW! Lotsa power!
By Mike on 06/25/05 04:35 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm a former Nissan Pathfinder owner (2001 & 2003) who recently "stepped down" to a 2005 Xterra. Well, I realized quickly that there was hardly any "stepping down" whatsoever once I actually started driving the X on a daily basis! This baby is fun to drive and the 2005 has plenty of power (watch your speedometer or old Smokie will get you!!!!) Also, the new 4.0/265HP Engine actually gets better gas mileage than my previous 2 Pathy's ever got - and although this is a SUV, gas mileage so far is more than acceptable and I don't think it will be an issue for me at all. Lots of great forums for Xterra owners (do a google search) and you will see more than enough information on the great X!

The BEST ever!!
By mamateddiebear on 06/14/05 02:06 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This SUV is so awesome. My husband was not too sure about my choice. After riding in this only twice...he now wants one for himself. He loves the huge truck tires. This rides and drives like a truck. The insurance rate was so low. I went from a 98 dodge van to this vehicle and only raised my monthly insurance by $15. WOW! This is a truly amazing vehicle. I will never own anything else. Keep it UP!!