Used 2005 Nissan Xterra S SUV Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Shame on Nissan!!
By torrdcs

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased at 64000 miles, drove it, loved it, no problems at all other than the tire pressure light after so many miles of consistent driving. Then, at 121,000 miles, boom... transmission failure. Upon further research, it is a NISSAN DEFECT in the radiator that Nissan refuses to address more than a little warranty increase, and even THAT took a lawsuit. I spent $3000+ over a period of 8 months to fix it and it still wasn't fixed. I had to purchase another vehicle to drive while it was down. I ran out of money, so I was forced to trade the XTerra with $3500 of negative equity, totaling near $7000 that I lost on this vehicle, due to Nissan and its ways. NEVER. AGAIN.

Creative storage compartments, power, exterior style, visibility

Make a vehicle that lasts longer than 120,000 miles. This is not 1973.

Fun to drive
By haus1984

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this a year ago at 67K miles. In that time I've put about 20K on it. This thing is a lot of fun to drive. It will get up and go! Turns on a dime for an SUV. Seats 5 comfortably. The rear and passenger seats fold down easily and allow for a lot of cargo. It rides nicely and is very comfortable both on and off road. By off road I mean actual trails. Mine has VDC and it works great in snow & mud. Great visibility in all directions. The interior is cheap plastic. Things slide around in the “trunk.” Tire Pressure siren goes off a lot. I’m not going to overinflate the tires so I live with it. I check the trans fluid for murkiness often just to be on the safe side. Haven’t had an issue yet.

Power! Cargo space, smooth ride, multi-adjusting driver seat, VDC, handling, off road performance

Tire pressure monitor, plastic interior, trunk door closes when its cold (pistons don't keep it open).

Found a friend with Nissan
By troberts3

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Owned a Cadillac CTS when I bought "The X" and didn't drive the CTS for three weeks because I loved The X so much. Purchased used 05/2010 at 65K, now has 101K. I have replaced NOTHING! Solid, reliable truck with compartments everywhere for storage. Finally sold my Cadillac because I liked the Nissan better. I will stay with Nissan as long as they keep making vehicles like this one. My ONLY complaint: Back seat leg room. My friends have a lot of trouble getting in and out.
One other thing: Tire pressure light comes on after traveling a constant speed for 40-50 miles. Does it every time. I think it's the new tires. Not sure...

Rooftop compartment, great AC, awesome visibility

Back seat leg room

Faulty radiator design destroys transmission
By argiad

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I too loved my Xterra up until a couple of months ago.

Bad engine design results in a faulty radiator part leaking radiator fluid into the transmission, destroying the transmission and leading to upwards of $5-6k in repair costs.
Early signs include a low rumbling while driving as though driving over rumble strips and disappear if you slow or accelerate.
Do NOT ignore this!
If you do you could end up with engine overheating at best or transmission failure while driving possibly resulting in an accident.
This problem occured for me at 90K miles is a common occurance and for others has occured at as low as 50K.
Nissan is fully aware of and has done nothing to fix the problem.

Nissan hiding this problem from their customers is unacceptable and dangerous. Not only is it an extremely expensive problem, it cannot be fixed correctly. The original parts and design are faulty so simply replacing them will not fix the problem (Nissan has done this and the customers have the same problem again in 10K miles). In order to fix the problem a mechanic needs to install a cooling system bypass to prevent a leak into the transmission again, but mechanics have told me that that is not a good fix either as the fluid is then not properly cooled or heated. Nissan needs to find a way to fix this problem for their customers instead of leaving them to figure things out themselves.

Best true SUV
By Joe 6 Pack

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

If you are looking for a vehicle that puts the "Utility" back in SUV then this vehicle is for you. This is not one of those sissy soccer mom SUV's!!! I bought my Xterra a few months ago and I absolutely love it. There is no where this cannot go and nothing it cannot do. Thought about getting a Jeep Liberty (less interior room and more expensive) and a Toyota 4Runner (much more expensive feature-to- feature), but overall the Xterra was a much better value. Absolutely no regrets

Rugged exterior, tons of interior space for a "compact" SUV, decent factory sound system, great road visibility.

Seats can get uncomfortable on longer rides.