Used 2005 Nissan Xterra S SUV Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

A Nissan... .. NEVER AGAIN
By Tiffany

2005 bought my Nissan Xterra with a platinum warranty, thank ggid because
I had it only a few months and the service eng light came on. Nissan couldnt figure their owncar out. In and out of rge shop for 5 wks, replaced serveral things b 4 realizing it was a computer problem warranty covered it nd it was fine until about 70, 000. Then the tranny and raidiator went. Ever since its been a expensive nightmare. Of now no warranty so Nissan in Vallejo. CA where i purchased it in 2005 they were like no warranty "sorry about ur luck, but o'well. So i fixed it and now it hasn't been the same. One prob after another. Its been at my mechanics more in the last 10 months then with me. Problems: tranny, radiator, timing chain my decisionn to replace, catallitc converter, fuel pump, one sensor then another....now about $6000 into i hate to get rid of it after pumping that much money into it. [non-permissible content removed]

Only 85,000 Miles !!!
By Mark Fitzgerald

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought a new Nissan Xterra in 2005. I only have 85,000 miles on my Nissan Xterra. I was in love with this SUV until I started having problems. The transmission was leaking into my radiator so I had to replace the radiator "myself" because Nissan was sending my recall notices to some other address so I did not know about the recall's and I couldn't afford to pay for the expensive cost. They didn't even care even though it was their fault. Then the oil filter seal started leaking and I also fixed that problem "myself". Then the fuel sensor ( recall I missed ) went out. I am planning to fix this myself also. I just had the timing chain guides replaced because they broke ( $1,158 ). Here is the real kicker about that problem. I took my SUV to Fenton Nissan dealer on NW Expressway in OKC last week because there was an aggressive clicking noise under my hood coming from the motor. They told me it was a rod knocking and it was going to cost me $5,534 for a used engine or $8,135 for a new engine ! This now used vehicle is only worth around $10,000 ? Really stressed me out ! This was a big decision I was going to have to make ! Fix this problem or just buy a new vehicle ?? I have worked on cars all my life and I kept telling myself....... I have never heard a rod knocking sound like this one ? Trusting my instincts I decided to take it to a trusted mechanic ( Weaver Brothers Automotive ) here in OKC. He also said that it doesn't sound like a rod ? So I let them tear it down to find out it was only the timing chain guide, so he replaced both of them while it was apart. This cost me $1,158 for repairs instead of the $8,000 they were going to charge at the dealer ! They lied to me ! I found out that the service tech's are paid on commission ! I will never buy another Nissan product or trust a Nissan dealership from now on ! Don't take your vehicle to a dealership. Take it to someone you can trust. It will save you a lot of $$$ for uncostly repairs.

dependable workhorse
By msferd

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

nice. nice. nice. bought this vehicle to help me rebuild after Hurricane Katrina. The shock came when I was able to haul a 5ft patio door with ease.

cargo space

better sound system

Nissan Hit the Target With the Xterra
By Will

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

First off, the Xterra is not a vehicle for everyone. It rides like a truck, is built like a truck, and feels like a truck. So if this does not appeal to you, look elsewhere. If you like the idea of a vehicle that has a lot of storage, holds 4 people and gear in decent comfort, then the Xterra is a great choice. The vehicle is extremely useful. There are pockets, and bins all over. It is the first vehicle I have owned that lets me keep all the junk I carry with me organized.

Storage, utility tracks in the rear, quick turning radius, good view from the driver seat, and the 4 power outlets. Oh and the fully boxed frame makes the vehicle very rigid. So far I have had no mechanical problems, and nothing that seems like it may be a problem.

I would like to see a long wheelbase version since the rear doors sit right on top of the wheel wells. Also, since the wheelbase is short, the front seats don't move very far back, which if you are over six feet it may be a problem.

Practical Fun
By maximus

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is a fun car to drive with a lot of pluses, although there are also some negatives. The pluses include the industrial styling - if that's your thing, lots of power, storage galore, easy to clean interior, vehicle stability control, low tire pressure warning gauge, very quiet interior - even at 80+mph, interior tie down points everywhere, great door cup holders, and a great sounding stereo system. The negatives include interior plastic pieces that scratch very easily, chintzy chrome handles, semi-functional center cup holders, difficult rear entry/exit due to short wheelbase, base stereo does not read MP3 cds or have an auxiliary audio input.

More power than you will ever need to accelerate to freeway speeds. It is very smooth and quiet on the freeway. It is also very comfortable to sleep in as the rear seats fold flat.

Scratch-resistant interior plastic - especially in the cargo area. MP3 capability for base stereo.