Used 2005 Nissan Xterra SE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

I Made it to 140k Miles
By silentrick

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have been pretty pleased overall with my 2005 Xterra. I have over 140,000 miles on it and I'm just now experiencing major issues with it. I've had recurring issues with the O2 sensors going out more than once and now I need a new catalytic converter. I wasn't aware of the transmission and radiator issues on the 2005 models until I read this post. As it turns out, I too have an issue with a cracked radiator leaking into my tranny and now I need to replace both. I thought it could have been due to a minor fender bender a few months back but now I'm not so sure, especially because I was hit in the rear. Seems like I got lucky to have made it as far as I did on mine.

Suggested Improvements

Radiator and transmission issues.

Hanging on by a thread
By sparrow1257

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love the car but will never purchase another Nissan. I bought the car new and starting at 15k miles the repairs started and never ended: tensioned assembly replaced three times, all brake assemblies replaced at 25k miles, transmission and radiator replaced due to fluid peeking into the transmission, cracked transfer case, bad veil and oil sending units, abs assembly on the driver side completely failed, coolant leaking onto passenger side firewall. Fortunately I purchased the 100k extended. I have 105k miles on the car. My total out of pocket for the past year would have been $18k if not for the warranty!! That is a new car! Nissan also damaged car during repairs and refused to pay.

Favorite Features

Stereo, look, handling, spacious interior, acceleration

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. Enough said.

radiator/transmission
By cindy0710

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I, too, have experienced the faulty radiator leaking into the transmission and ruining it...I have 109000 miles so it is beyond the 80000 mile warranty and nissan wants thousands to fix it....acknowledging that the faulty radiator caused the problem, not wear, tear, etc.....so now they want me to pay the hefty bill for a new radiator and transmission for a defect in the automobile....Shame on Nissan for not recalling and fixing this problem

Loved it until this year
By dissappointed

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it new, this year has been hell.I spent about 2k in one month. then the catalytic converters went out. Covered by warranty but Celebrity Nissan did a horrible job with the repair and charged me 200 for some testing that no one can explain. In the end Reed Nissan had to put a new engine in it about a month ago. Still having problems with transmission slipping but no one will take responsibility for it. Big surprise. Nissan of North America will do nothing for you if you have problems. I want to get rid of this car now. Until this year I loved it but I'm so disappointed now with the dealership and Nissan in general. Does anyone stand behind their products anymore. NO!

Favorite Features

Color, Yellow. Used to drive great until this year.

Suggested Improvements

Nissan needs to improve their customer service and stand behind their products. Bumper could be better, fading in the sun.

Love It but
By Broker

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Got Mine new. Loved it and babied it. Great power, handling and easy to drive and park. No problems at all. Literally NONE. Then.....75K and it fell apart. AC, water pump, differential, belt tensioner, rattles galore. It was like I got into someone else's vehicle. Maintenance was unbelievable. Hoses--- look out, there are a bunch and they COST. Brakes. WOW. Transmission fluid. Unbelievable. Sealed unit and ONLY dealer can get the "special" fluid easily. Nothing is ever in stock and will sit at dealer or even local guys) for days waiting. I still LOVE my baby, but Ford is my next bet.

Favorite Features

Power. Ease of driving and parking. Great visibility, feel like you are above it all.

Suggested Improvements

Please get some parts in stock Mr. Dealer. Never had a repair take less than 3 days. One week for AC replacement at 76K. Stop with the "special" fluids and parts.