Used 2005 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Nissan attitude
By glenavon

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My issue is not with my xterra (still going strong at 140k miles), rather with Nissan's apparent unwillingness to stand behind their vehicles. I purchased my 2005 xterra from the same dealer I service it at. I have, from the outset, had repeated problems with the fuel sensor gauge,. Because the issue, until now, has never caused a signal in their system check, they have refused to replace the required part. Their attitude when I complained -essentially -too bad -we have no responsibility to fix what our system check does not designate. At around 105,000 miles, I heard of an issue, through a lawyer, to do with the

radiator. The warranty period had just expired, the dealer knew of the potential issue, yet never told me. The response -too bad -past the warranty period -fix the car yourself or sell it. I see other reviewers expressing a similar sentiment. Pity -I like the car and will keep it. However, for me, the purchase itself is just part of the overall 'package'. More important in the long run is the quality of service and attitude of the manufacturer to their customers. They have lost me as a future client

Customer service at the dealer level has to improve. Equally as important, Nissan needs to understand that, for the cost of a fuel gauge sensor ($575) and a radiator($800) they have lost not just my future acquisitions, but those of my wife and, to the degree I can affect them, friends and associates

trans has design flaw
By hs21

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have a 2005 Xterra and this a known problem that the radiator leaks into the trans causing both to fail. Nissan was sued over this problem and lost, so they extended the warranty to cover fixing. This problem also exists on the Frontier and Pathfinder. Nissan doesn't tell you this and I found out the hard way.

Shame on Nissan!!
By torrdcs

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased at 64000 miles, drove it, loved it, no problems at all other than the tire pressure light after so many miles of consistent driving. Then, at 121,000 miles, boom... transmission failure. Upon further research, it is a NISSAN DEFECT in the radiator that Nissan refuses to address more than a little warranty increase, and even THAT took a lawsuit. I spent $3000+ over a period of 8 months to fix it and it still wasn't fixed. I had to purchase another vehicle to drive while it was down. I ran out of money, so I was forced to trade the XTerra with $3500 of negative equity, totaling near $7000 that I lost on this vehicle, due to Nissan and its ways. NEVER. AGAIN.

Creative storage compartments, power, exterior style, visibility

Make a vehicle that lasts longer than 120,000 miles. This is not 1973.

Fun to drive
By haus1984

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this a year ago at 67K miles. In that time I've put about 20K on it. This thing is a lot of fun to drive. It will get up and go! Turns on a dime for an SUV. Seats 5 comfortably. The rear and passenger seats fold down easily and allow for a lot of cargo. It rides nicely and is very comfortable both on and off road. By off road I mean actual trails. Mine has VDC and it works great in snow & mud. Great visibility in all directions. The interior is cheap plastic. Things slide around in the ďtrunk.Ē Tire Pressure siren goes off a lot. Iím not going to overinflate the tires so I live with it. I check the trans fluid for murkiness often just to be on the safe side. Havenít had an issue yet.

Power! Cargo space, smooth ride, multi-adjusting driver seat, VDC, handling, off road performance

Tire pressure monitor, plastic interior, trunk door closes when its cold (pistons don't keep it open).

Loved it... Until the dreaded radiator leak/transmission failure
By kaja91

2005 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it used @ a dealer & immediately was planning my next purchase of a NEW X-Terra (in several years). Spent $2k in repairs, then @ 95k miles the tranny failed due to the now well-known radiator leak into the transmission. Nissan won't help & Nissan dealers (who all know of this NISSAN design flaw/defect) cut the trade value in 1/2, which leaves the once loyal consumer stuck with a car they can't afford to fix, but are too upside down to trade in affordably. Boo on Nissan for its lack of remediation on a defect which statistically fails well after their 80k mile warranty. Lost a loyal customer. These should not be allowed for resale w/out a documented fix preventing fail. BEWARE LEMON!

Loved the engine power before the transmission failed. Cargo capacity was the selling point for me. Loved the fold flat seats & easily cleaned cargo. The ride was nice and smooth for a larger SUV. I miss it.

It's a lemon. Period. Nissan won't back its brand and has left hundreds of consumers stranded. They should have done more than quietly extend the warranty only AFTER a class-action lawsuit was filed against them. And statistically the failure occurs well after the 80k warranty expires. Nissan knows this. The only way for Nissan to redeem itself in my eyes is if they become more transparent about the defect & claim responsibility for it, making its customers whole again. Either via repairs, or equitable trades. It's not the customer's fault or negligence yet the customer is the one left holding the several thousand dollar bill.