Used 2005 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews - 156 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Excellent, versatile backcountry SUV!
By michael sanders

2005 Nissan Xterra S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased used in 2009, 48K miles, now 104.5K miles. replaced clutch (premature failure, undersized original clutch, design defect, Nissan would not acknowledge or repair) at about 55K with non-Nissan appropriately-robust clutch parts from Jim Wolf Technology, San Diego, no further clutch issues to date. Original BFG tires replaced at 63K. Replaced radiator at about 75k (early I think, assume due to substandard quality components). Fuel sensor replaced under warranty at about 80K. No other significant issues. Interior fabric holding up very well, plastic in cargo area getting beat up, but as expected given how I use the X. Original sound system crappy, replaced with better set up.

For my needs (emphasized), excellent off-road and backcountry vehicle. Very functional multi-use, versatile SUV. For my needs, pluses are:

1) best in class fuel economy for truck-based SUV based on my research, especially with 6-speed standard tranny (typically avg. 23 mpg if kept to 70 mph on highway, 2K rpm in 6th gear).

2) short wheel base, tight turning ratio, fits in my garage and very maneuverable on tight back country trails. Only about 6" longer then our 2004 Honda Civic.

3) Easy to remove back seat bottom cushions (that's called attention to detail!), makes 6.5 foot long flat deck with home-built platform extension. Comfortable for extended camping trip sleeping platform. roof rack compartment handy for solar shower bag!

4) very good 4WD offroad performance in challenging, very rough terrain (SEVERELY tested in Canyonlands NP Maze District and other western locals, and was impressive).

5) Initial research via Consumer Reports indicated very good repair record, similar to Toyota 4 Runner, but comparable Toyota vehicle $5-$6K more expensive, and no standard available. Toyota probably more reliable in hind site, but Xterra cheaper to buy, so more $$ available for occasional repairs.

A Nissan... .. NEVER AGAIN
By Tiffany

2005 Nissan Xterra S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

2005 bought my Nissan Xterra with a platinum warranty, thank ggid because
I had it only a few months and the service eng light came on. Nissan couldnt figure their owncar out. In and out of rge shop for 5 wks, replaced serveral things b 4 realizing it was a computer problem warranty covered it nd it was fine until about 70, 000. Then the tranny and raidiator went. Ever since its been a expensive nightmare. Of now no warranty so Nissan in Vallejo. CA where i purchased it in 2005 they were like no warranty "sorry about ur luck, but o'well. So i fixed it and now it hasn't been the same. One prob after another. Its been at my mechanics more in the last 10 months then with me. Problems: tranny, radiator, timing chain my decisionn to replace, catallitc converter, fuel pump, one sensor then another....now about $6000 into i hate to get rid of it after pumping that much money into it. [non-permissible content removed]

Only 85,000 Miles !!!
By Mark Fitzgerald

2005 Nissan Xterra S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought a new Nissan Xterra in 2005. I only have 85,000 miles on my Nissan Xterra. I was in love with this SUV until I started having problems. The transmission was leaking into my radiator so I had to replace the radiator "myself" because Nissan was sending my recall notices to some other address so I did not know about the recall's and I couldn't afford to pay for the expensive cost. They didn't even care even though it was their fault. Then the oil filter seal started leaking and I also fixed that problem "myself". Then the fuel sensor ( recall I missed ) went out. I am planning to fix this myself also. I just had the timing chain guides replaced because they broke ( $1,158 ). Here is the real kicker about that problem. I took my SUV to Fenton Nissan dealer on NW Expressway in OKC last week because there was an aggressive clicking noise under my hood coming from the motor. They told me it was a rod knocking and it was going to cost me $5,534 for a used engine or $8,135 for a new engine ! This now used vehicle is only worth around $10,000 ? Really stressed me out ! This was a big decision I was going to have to make ! Fix this problem or just buy a new vehicle ?? I have worked on cars all my life and I kept telling myself....... I have never heard a rod knocking sound like this one ? Trusting my instincts I decided to take it to a trusted mechanic ( Weaver Brothers Automotive ) here in OKC. He also said that it doesn't sound like a rod ? So I let them tear it down to find out it was only the timing chain guide, so he replaced both of them while it was apart. This cost me $1,158 for repairs instead of the $8,000 they were going to charge at the dealer ! They lied to me ! I found out that the service tech's are paid on commission ! I will never buy another Nissan product or trust a Nissan dealership from now on ! Don't take your vehicle to a dealership. Take it to someone you can trust. It will save you a lot of $$$ for uncostly repairs.

Nissan attitude
By glenavon

2005 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My primary issue is not so much with my xterra (even though at around 150k miles I have experienced a number of mechanical issues), rather with Nissan's apparent unwillingness to stand behind their vehicles.
I purchased my 2005 xterra from the same dealer I service it at. I have, from the outset, had repeated problems with the fuel sensor gauge,. Because the issue, until now, has never caused a signal in their system check, they have refused to replace the required part. Their attitude when I complained -essentially -too bad -we have no responsibility to fix what our system check does not designate.
At around 105,000 miles, I heard of an issue, through a lawyer, to do with the radiator. Despite the dealer knowing about this issue for some time, I was not advised to have the radiator replaced -until I fell out of warranty. Same response as with the fuel sensor.
In summary, while I am somewhat disappoint ted in the frequency of repairs I am now experiencing, the car itself has been what I expected -a useful, solid vehicle for both highway and off road travel. However, I will not buy another Nissan because of the company's indifferent attitude to its customers

trans has design flaw
By hs21

2005 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have a 2005 Xterra and this a known problem that the radiator leaks into the trans causing both to fail. Nissan was sued over this problem and lost, so they extended the warranty to cover fixing. This problem also exists on the Frontier and Pathfinder. Nissan doesn't tell you this and I found out the hard way.