Terrible Experience!
By sandra87 on
2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)
I used to own this car and even though it's great looking and fun to drive, my engine blew... timing belt was ripped off and they told me they needed to replace whole engine! Just reading from other reviews I see this is a common problem for 2004 Nissan Xterra so just be careful when buying!!!!
By carguy173
on 01/17/13 10:54 AM (PST)

Sandra, you didn't mention how many miles you had on your Xterra. Nissan's maintenance schedule calls for the timing belt to be replaced at 105,000. Most people will change the water pump at that point as well, because a timing belt will fail if it gets anti-freeze on it. I'm betting that your Xterra did not have the belt changed and that's why it let go.

By iwon
on 09/27/14 16:18 PM (PDT)

Timing belts dont fail unless regular maintenance schedules are not followed. If this person would of read their owners manual when they bought the truck they would of seen it states replace the timing belt at 105k just as others stated here. Dont blame your dog for dying when you as the owner fail to follow directions and dont care for him correctly. Put the phone own & pick up your car manual. You blew your engine up all by yourself, read the owners manual and follow maintenance schedule or you'll be buying another engine for the next car you buy too. Your best freind on the phone nor facebook either will tell you when to fix your car & you'll need to read more than one sentence too. Its alot to handle I know but you'll understand it someday? All cars either have a chain or a belt and both will break if not changed in time...Its just part of being a responsable car owner and its not a common Nissan problem its a common owner neglect problem, theres a big difference. Over 300k on mine without a major issue and still runs perfectly, my dogs 15yrs old and she loves my Xterra too...I read the manuals when I bought both my truck & my dog...lol