2004 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
Xterra makes for love/hate relationship!
By Nothead on 10/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV XE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Xterra for about a month now and I am truly in a love hate relationship with it. I must say that I do "love it" much more than I hate it though. The power must be increased for this monster. The gas mileage must be worked on too, it really sucks to have poor mileage from a vehicle that has weak gittyup! I have to really step on it to make it get out of the blocks if I want to pass another car. Kinda wished I had waited to get the 05 model coming out nest year. Leg room is down right short for rear passengers. Front driver leg room can be improved too. I scrape my knees on the wheel each time I climb in even though the steering wheel is in the high tilt position.

My first vehicle
By Brusko1972 on 10/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I just bought my Xterra a week ago and I love it! fuel economy is terrible but I'm hoping it will get better after breaking it in. Anybody know why the 5 speed towing capacity is 1500lbs less than the automatic? Anyways, I'm glad I bought an Xterra because now my ride looks much better than my brother's Jeep Liberty and my mother in-law's RAV4 :-)

GREAT / POWERFULL
By LUCKY on 10/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I HAVE ENJOYED MY XTERRA THIS PAST EIGHT MO. MY WIFE LIKES IT BETTER THAN ME ,WELL SHE DRIVES IT MORE TO WORK AND GROCERY STORE ETC. BUT IT HANDELS GOOD ANDHASA WRAP AROUND FEEL WHEN YOUR DRIVING ALSO HAS A SPACEIOUS BACKFOR HAULING PLUS CAN LAY BACK DOWN FOR MORE ROOM IF NEEDED!

Good SUV for price
By Bmoreguy on 10/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV XE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I actually bought my Xterra in January of 2002, I have always loved the look of the Xterra. I have been nothing but pleased with driving this vehicle from the day I have owned it. Its a great ride, great in the snow. Its large enough for my needs such as my business and for piling in my two labs for a fun drive out. I have only found two things that I am not very happy with and that is the horsepower, sluggish on takeoff and the gas mileage for such a small V6. I however still give the Xterra my two thumbs up. Nissan did a great thing when they came up with the Xterra. Thanks Nissan.

Best Utility Vehicle
By jhaskell on 10/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

If a fun, off-road worthy vehicle is what you are after, then The X-terra is for you. It is built for a purpose and fills it! Handles capably on the road, but was designed to be abused. Somewhat simplistic in it's design (interior specifically), but most places you take this the scenery is better outside anyway. Get an X-terra and USE it!!!

terrible!!!!
By happygirlbrum on 10/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV XE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

We brought a brand new Exterra last year. It was defective . We have taken it back to be fixed over 10 times. The customer service is terrible and they are not willing to work with us. I do not recommend this vehicle to anyone!!

Nice Vehicle even as "bare bones" model
By Che57vy on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV XE I4 Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought vehicle used with 39,000 miles. Now it has 84,000 miles. So far, only part replaced was thermal sensor for the fuel injector, A.K.A. "wax kit", which measures engine heat for the fuel injector through a radiator hose. Wax kit, dealer installed, was $230.00. Covered under accessory warranty (3yrs/36K miles), not under drivetrain warranty (5 yrs/60,000 miles). The 4 cyl/5 spd manual is nice and economical with hwy/city mileage almost always 20 MPG with regular gasoline. It's easy to work on mechanically, with a lot of extra room in the engine compartment. Rides nice and secure on the highway. The 4 cyl / 5 spd manual is an excellent value, even if purchased brand new.

Nissan Xterra Grande
By keithcap on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV XE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I have had no problems with my Xterra. It's drive is very comfortable and smooth. The power is perfect for most of my applications.

An overall nice car
By Vabdelnaby on 10/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

2004 Nissan XTERRA XE. Sporty and fun to drive. It is not as wide as some of the other SUV's out there, making it easy to adjust from a mid size car to this SUV. Only reget is not getting super charged model, I feel the pick up in speed is not as good as my camry....but that just may be me, I am still getting used to driving it. Overall I think it is a great choice for anyone driving a car and considering an SUV.

Not well-rounded enough
By veljo756 on 10/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV XE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the Nissan 6 months ago and have not been disappointed. It delivered its promise: cool exterior, great image and capable offroad. However anyone driving this thing around town, like I do should think twice. Ride is uncomfortable, at least compared to a CR-V fuel milage is poor and the worst thing is engine performance. Shortly, this vehicle is very slow! I'm glad Nissan will improve on that for 2005, because while the numbers are impressive on paper, this is a very heavy SUV and hence simply slow. Before you buy it, test drive a Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV-4 and Ford Escape. They cost about the same and should meet your needs just fine. Do not spend money on image alone!