Used 2004 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Solid 4X4
By Mr. Dog

2004 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Xterra after carefully researching the vehicle, and scrutinizing the condition of the car itself. For the most part, I agree with most of the reviews. The ride is a bit stiff, which is good for a true SUV. The steering can be a bit squirrely, especially at lower speeds, but it is fine once you adjust to it. One point I wholly agree with is the underpowered engine. A truck like this should have a 4.0 as base, not an upgrade. The interior is comfortable, if a little sparse, save for the power windows and locks. I'd also like more up front storage. So despite it's few shortcomings, it's a great truck. I really, really like it. After all, Dogs love trucks!

Roof scoop, ground clearance, full size spare, 4WD

4.0 base engine, more up front storage, flat area on dash, better airflow past drivers window, rather than into backseat

happy camper
By mdukes

2004 Nissan Xterra XE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

i love my Xterra, i had a pathfinder and wanted the Xterra as soon as they came out on the market and have never regretted it. reliable, comfy, and surpasses my expectations....

comfort, roominess, style........

Happy driver
By GRACE

2004 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I'm handicapped so i need a car thats reliable so i can make it to my doctor every month and he's 5 hours away. I also need a smooth ride. I have the grille gaurd and the bars on my headlights.This makes me feel safe. Just recently i was smushed between 2 cars.Everyone else's car was bent horribly. They were amazed that my car was barely scratched. Thank you for making my life a little easier.God bless!

My favorite features are the way the inside is curvy not boxy,and the way the head lights are round.Also the grillguard and light covers.Last but more important than anything the smooth ride.

Gas mileage.

The war pony
By Grandma

2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I LOVE my Xterra. I call it the War Pony. Because it,ll go anywhere I ask it to, at any time, in any weather. I used to own a full size lifted Bronco. I am now a 52 year old grandmother and needed a smaller 4 door. I did not think any thing could replace my big truck. Then I found the xterra. I strap my grand children into the back and away we go. No more getting out to lock in hubs. The ground clearence is fine the power is perfect. The interior cleans well. The gas mileage is good. Drivers comfort is great. Room in the back seat is good. I can see all around . the sound syatem bumps too. I LOVE my War Pony!!! I would recomend the Xterra to any one who wants a true 4x4with extras buy it!!!

Its mine

Better gas mileage

X is ok
By xguy

2004 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I couldn't wait to buy an Xterra. Now that I have, I think I should have waited for a newer vehicle. It's just outdated and sucks gas like it's free. I haven't had one mechanical problem with it, but lots of little things that show lack of attention to detail (glovebox, molding, etc.) Still, it's a good reliable car and you can't go wrong with Nissan.

Outside design. Offroad ability

More attention to the little things.