Used 2004 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews - 163 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

A Bit Disappointed in Nissan
By Kim

2004 Nissan Xterra XE I4 Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Reliability has been great and it has definitely hauled a lot of items for me. Very easy to steer and turns on a dime. However, I'm very disappointed in Nissan craftmanship. Front grille immediately faded within 6 months. I was told by dealer that this was part of the "rugged" look and they wouldn't replace it. Seats are very hard and uncomfortable for travel. Windows have poor insulation - wind is howling. No mirrors even on the visors! Back seat doors are made for people smaller than a size ten (and younger than 50) to squeeze through to get into the backseat. But I guess you pay for what you get.

Reliability, price, steering, hauling capacity (groceries, coolers, etc.).

Passenger doors should open farther, better insulation for windows, better craftmanship on bumper and grille (fade resisitant), mirrors on visors.

Nissan truck disquised as SUV
By vixkix69

2004 Nissan Xterra XE I4 Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I like this XTERRA a lot. I have only had it for 2 months, but it is just like an old friend, specifically the old Nissan truck I had years ago. It IS very rugged looking and DRIVING. It feels every bump and curve in the road,but it keeps on going. It's a fun truck / suv to drive. Yes, the 5 speed is NOT powerful, but anyone knows that before they buy it (internet research).It keeps me from getting tickets! Its too cute for words and so far, I like it. We also have a Titan which is rated pretty low.But we like it,too. IT IS TOO POWERFUL!

Exterior looks,roof rack,privacy windows,easy to park and turn in tight spots,small yet roomy enough for a family

As we all think,"MPG!" but it IS an SUV,so there's no surprise there,right? There's a lot of road noise but hey, IT'S A TRUCK DISGUISED AS AN SUV! It's not one of those $40,000 things that ride like Cadillacs.

Strong @ kind
By Francisco Wisniewski

2004 Nissan Xterra SE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I just love my x-terra, my wife is the lucky one, she drives most the time, now i have a 16 y old daughter driving, she doesn't wanna drive my old car, and i understand that.

driving position

if is possible, little be more economic

Missed the little things
By lakeman62

2004 Nissan Xterra XE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

have had to go back to the dealership a lot for little things like cold air around the handles and window trim falling off. the window motors are too light weight and are troublesome. Fuel economy is nothing like I expected to get, average 15.3 and that's with a lot of highway miles, you would think that with that kind of mileage it would have some power but the engine is starving for power. The A/C runs even when the system is not activated, they claim it's due to the defrost system but I think they screwed up in the design and it's Nissan's way of getting out of a repair charge.

The looks of the vehicle

Better sealed doors around the handles, better window motors, more power and better fuel economy.

Still love my X!
By MTNDD

2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a new 2004 Xterra SE 4WD over 2.5 years ago. I still own it and drive it part-time. So this is a retrospective review. Overall, I'm happy with this Xterra. I've driven to rugged areas and didn't worry about the Xterra being able to get me through. The engine reliability has been perfect. Have had only minor cosmetic and noncritical problems. The Xterra makes you want to roll down the windows and cruise along, which is what I do in mild weather. I drove my Xterra from Oklahoma to Colorado to California and back, just cruising along enjoying the scenery. It was not an uncomfortable trip. I've had more comfortable vehicles but this was a great trip in the Xterra.

The four wheel drive has been fun and proven great in snow and ice. I've driven during winter storms when no one else was on the road. The Xterra has never once slipped or slid in four wheel drive! I've crossed streams and gone into areas I wouldn't have in other vehicles I have owned.

Better gas mileage, which I believe was perhaps partially accomplished with the 2005 and later models.