2004 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
great suv
By MEW on 07/31/09 12:59 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV SE S/C 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I got my x brand new in 2003, I drive a lot on the road with work, I have 201,001 miles on it, I get it serviced once a year, I use only bf goodwich tires ruggend trail, so these people saying they got stuck in the mud and snow, can u drive, I like to fish, go go down in the ditch and the x brings me back out, ive driven my x in 32 states in the rain, snow, ice, I've had no problems. And the super charger has no problem getting up and going. Besides normal wear and tear, I have no problems with my suv, I use full syn oil and fuilds, I only changed my oil once ever 10-12,000 miles, I get 17- 21 miles per gal, if u want a good suv for yrs to come this is it, I'm over 200k and running strong!

SUV that is really solid, not fake
By Joaquin on 10/22/08 10:26 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV XE I4 Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for 6 months now, and have no complaints at all so far, is solid like a rock, and very fun to drive. Is not like one of those SUV that look much more like a sedan on the inside, is rather basic and rough, but is still very quiet in the inside, seats are comfortable, and has a lot of pockets and compartments all over. AC and heater are great, factory stereo has a decent sound, manual transmission is smooth (for an off-road SUV) and looks fantastic, all your neighbors will notice it, that's for sure.

Disappointment
By XFactor on 05/11/08 18:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I was pretty disappointed with my Xterra. If all you need is something to look cute driving around town, you'll enjoy the Xterra's rugged looks and relatively easy handling. Try and get it dirty however and you'll be disappointed. It slips easily in ice and snow (turning, even with 4WD is precarious), the mud factor wasn't great either, even in 4WD low. The interior is hard to keep clean, and the outside dents easily. Passing people on the highway is nearly impossible, even with the bigger engine option. And of course, fuel economy is horrendous with gas as much as it is now.

Just Right Nissan
By Just Right for Me on 04/22/08 13:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Reliability is great and it is very easy to drive. Construction is pretty solid, but the outer car body dents easily. Maybe all cars are like that now. Outside mirrors are big and have a lot of range. Gas mileage is around 20 mpg when I drive conservatively - no racing the engine and driving 60 mph on the freeway (most of the time. :-)).

A Bit Disappointed in Nissan
By Kim on 09/09/07 20:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV XE I4 Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Reliability has been great and it has definitely hauled a lot of items for me. Very easy to steer and turns on a dime. However, I'm very disappointed in Nissan craftmanship. Front grille immediately faded within 6 months. I was told by dealer that this was part of the "rugged" look and they wouldn't replace it. Seats are very hard and uncomfortable for travel. Windows have poor insulation - wind is howling. No mirrors even on the visors! Back seat doors are made for people smaller than a size ten (and younger than 50) to squeeze through to get into the backseat. But I guess you pay for what you get.

Nissan truck disquised as SUV
By vixkix69 on 03/06/07 11:48 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV XE I4 Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I like this XTERRA a lot. I have only had it for 2 months, but it is just like an old friend, specifically the old Nissan truck I had years ago. It IS very rugged looking and DRIVING. It feels every bump and curve in the road,but it keeps on going. It's a fun truck / suv to drive. Yes, the 5 speed is NOT powerful, but anyone knows that before they buy it (internet research).It keeps me from getting tickets! Its too cute for words and so far, I like it. We also have a Titan which is rated pretty low.But we like it,too. IT IS TOO POWERFUL!

Strong @ kind
By Francisco Wisniewski on 01/13/07 07:32 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I just love my x-terra, my wife is the lucky one, she drives most the time, now i have a 16 y old daughter driving, she doesn't wanna drive my old car, and i understand that.

Missed the little things
By lakeman62 on 12/12/06 10:05 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV XE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

have had to go back to the dealership a lot for little things like cold air around the handles and window trim falling off. the window motors are too light weight and are troublesome. Fuel economy is nothing like I expected to get, average 15.3 and that's with a lot of highway miles, you would think that with that kind of mileage it would have some power but the engine is starving for power. The A/C runs even when the system is not activated, they claim it's due to the defrost system but I think they screwed up in the design and it's Nissan's way of getting out of a repair charge.

Still love my X!
By MTNDD on 12/11/06 18:10 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a new 2004 Xterra SE 4WD over 2.5 years ago. I still own it and drive it part-time. So this is a retrospective review. Overall, I'm happy with this Xterra. I've driven to rugged areas and didn't worry about the Xterra being able to get me through. The engine reliability has been perfect. Have had only minor cosmetic and noncritical problems. The Xterra makes you want to roll down the windows and cruise along, which is what I do in mild weather. I drove my Xterra from Oklahoma to Colorado to California and back, just cruising along enjoying the scenery. It was not an uncomfortable trip. I've had more comfortable vehicles but this was a great trip in the Xterra.

rock solid Xterra
By akhdz on 10/26/06 19:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV XE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

this is my second Nissan ('97 truck was the 1st) and i love the truck feel of the xterra. i like the unique colors offered (mine is canteen green metallic) and that it's a TRUCK. mine in the base I4 xe 5sp, which is why i got such a good deal on it (13,7k drive out with an extended warranty) if you have a small family, and need a REAL suv, i'd look for a pre-owned xterra. prices are sliding down ('05 new body) and many on the market. since we live in houston (no mountains) the I4 is fine, plus i got 22mpg on my first full tank. i'm glad nissan didn't push the xterra too upscale, and made it affordable for all.