Used 2004 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Fun, cool looking, but built cheaply
By racolo

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV SE S/C Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Fun, cool looking, but built cheaply

Favorite Features

Exterior Design, multiple cigarette outlets for power.

Suggested Improvements

Less plastic on dash board and front grill. Steps should be farther out from body so we can actualy use them to step up

Just too cool
By GenO

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Super fun to drive and great looking. MPG not the greatest for todays prices but you know that buying it. Inside is comfortable with plenty of room for people and "stuff". The Xterra feels very stable while driving even at high speeds. Acceleration is normal for a truck this size with the six cyl. Although the acceleration is a bit slugglish when going up "steep" roadways or while towing, although you can feel the pulling power. I did some light off roading with mine and had zero complaints, especially with with the 4 wheel drive.

Favorite Features

The sheer coolness of the Xterra. The manual shifting transfer case (for 4wd), no knobs or auto shifting 4wd. Solid rear axle. ALOT of cargo tie down hooks within the truck. Large size tires 265-70-R16. Alot of 12volt access sockets.

Suggested Improvements

A bit stronger engine (already happening on the 2005 model). Forget the independent front suspension and go with a Solid front axle. With 5000 pound pulling capcity the tow hitch should be standard. Lose the fragile plastic front bumber and design something stronger.

Great for price, but...
By burger

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV XE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I am a 27-year old male, living in LA. Commute's only a few miles away, never had a new car, always wanted an SUV, so I got the Xterra. Test drove several SUVs and while performance wise this would not be my first pick, for the price and the look I was sold. It fits me to a T this car. I got mine in black, it's rugged looking and compliments have been plenty. However the gas mileage is atrocious! On a 19 gallon tank, I've probably averaged somewhere between 210 - 240 miles before it starts to reach E. They can definitely do better than that. So while I'd recommend this car to the younger, hipster person w/ a short commute, it's not ideal for the practical crowd or folks w/ long commutes.

Favorite Features

The look. Rook rack. High wheel base. Great price for what you get (although that's probably because it comes out of the gas costs you'll spend on it).

Suggested Improvements

Higher ceiling and longer leg room (although it looks like the 2005 model has this fixed). And for God's sake...improve the gas mileage!!

I love my SUV
By Tracy johnson

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV SE S/C Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Love my SUV I have had from a corvette to a mini van and this nisson is my favorite!!! I love it and is so fun to drive. I have had many compliments and even had people follow me into gas stations to tell me they LOVE my car! I am very happy and would buy it all over again!!! Tracy Johnson

Favorite Features

The way it handels! I love the color choices and plenty of room in the front or back. My kids love the stadium seating because they can see out the windows.PLenty of cup holders!!!

Suggested Improvements

Please Ash trays even if you don't smoke yourself some passengers may it should be a choice!!!!

Great SUV for the $$
By sj

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Very happy with this purchase. We drove numerous SUV's before buying the Xterra. All others we tested were in the $30-40k range, but didn't see the point in paying that kind of money with the depreciation rate. Rugged design is nice and performance is very good. Turning capabilities are excellent and it handles very well on any type of road. Rides a little rougher since it's based on truck chassis. Storage is ample with the seats folded down.

Favorite Features

Handling and turning capability.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise/radio controls in akward location on steering column and Illumination would be great, as these buttons are hard to locate at night. Would also like auto turn on headlights. Gas mileage is comparable to the other SUV we've owned. The radio could be better.