2004 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
Dependable
By Diesel on 02/04/10 08:06 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Xterra XE I4 Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used with aprox. 20,000 miles, in 2006. Now has 80,000 in 2010. I have only changed the oil, the air filter, the head lights, wipers, and battery. Did every thing but the oil myself with ease. My good friend, a mechanic, recommended I buy an Xterra. I am glad I did. I owned a 2000 Frontier that never gave me a problem either, so I was happy to by another Nissan. I'd bet it has the same 2.4 litter engine, but geared lower. I removed the roof rack air dam for better mileage.

SUV that is really solid, not fake
By Joaquin on 10/22/08 10:26 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra XE I4 Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for 6 months now, and have no complaints at all so far, is solid like a rock, and very fun to drive. Is not like one of those SUV that look much more like a sedan on the inside, is rather basic and rough, but is still very quiet in the inside, seats are comfortable, and has a lot of pockets and compartments all over. AC and heater are great, factory stereo has a decent sound, manual transmission is smooth (for an off-road SUV) and looks fantastic, all your neighbors will notice it, that's for sure.

A Bit Disappointed in Nissan
By Kim on 09/09/07 20:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra XE I4 Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Reliability has been great and it has definitely hauled a lot of items for me. Very easy to steer and turns on a dime. However, I'm very disappointed in Nissan craftmanship. Front grille immediately faded within 6 months. I was told by dealer that this was part of the "rugged" look and they wouldn't replace it. Seats are very hard and uncomfortable for travel. Windows have poor insulation - wind is howling. No mirrors even on the visors! Back seat doors are made for people smaller than a size ten (and younger than 50) to squeeze through to get into the backseat. But I guess you pay for what you get.

Nissan truck disquised as SUV
By vixkix69 on 03/06/07 11:48 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Xterra XE I4 Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I like this XTERRA a lot. I have only had it for 2 months, but it is just like an old friend, specifically the old Nissan truck I had years ago. It IS very rugged looking and DRIVING. It feels every bump and curve in the road,but it keeps on going. It's a fun truck / suv to drive. Yes, the 5 speed is NOT powerful, but anyone knows that before they buy it (internet research).It keeps me from getting tickets! Its too cute for words and so far, I like it. We also have a Titan which is rated pretty low.But we like it,too. IT IS TOO POWERFUL!

Nice Vehicle even as "bare bones" model
By Che57vy on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra XE I4 Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought vehicle used with 39,000 miles. Now it has 84,000 miles. So far, only part replaced was thermal sensor for the fuel injector, A.K.A. "wax kit", which measures engine heat for the fuel injector through a radiator hose. Wax kit, dealer installed, was $230.00. Covered under accessory warranty (3yrs/36K miles), not under drivetrain warranty (5 yrs/60,000 miles). The 4 cyl/5 spd manual is nice and economical with hwy/city mileage almost always 20 MPG with regular gasoline. It's easy to work on mechanically, with a lot of extra room in the engine compartment. Rides nice and secure on the highway. The 4 cyl / 5 spd manual is an excellent value, even if purchased brand new.

If you want a TRUE S.U.V.
By 82BlackShark on 07/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra XE I4 Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I compared the Saturn Vue and the Hyundai Sante Fe before making my decision on the Xterra. The Xterra has a towing capacity of 3,500 lbs. while the others have only 1,200 lbs. The ground clearance and cargo capacity is larger than the others too. Get the 4 cyl 5 speed manual if you want the power. It does seem underpowered at first and it took me three days to get used to the shifts. Now I can make this truck fly fast. It has three regular V belts instead of 1 long serpentine belt so no worries if you run into deep water. Nissan built a real SUV.

we luv our X
By d and v on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra XE I4 Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

this suv is amazing . it rides so comfy..looks are awesome.steers and drives so steady.went shopping for pickup and was so impressed with this Xterra, we bought it instead. thank you

Good SUV Startup vehicle
By Hunter228 on 05/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra XE I4 Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just got my X-Terra, I drove it to the Grand Canyon. While it could only do 60MPH going uphill, on the flat road it handled very well, for a 4 cyl. It was comfortable to ridee in it. Roomy for all my gear, fuel consuption was very good when speeds were kept to at least 75MPH. Doing 80 - 90MPH and your fuel consuption will still not be too bad. While more power would be great, all and all the X-Terra (4cyl)is not a bad investment for what you get.

xterrakicksass
By tanga hans on 12/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Xterra XE I4 Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

the xterra is everything an suv should and shouldn't be. it has the rugged exterior and an essential, spacious interior. believe it or not, but the xterra is actually one of the more economical and safer rides compared to other gas-guzzling suv's. some of these other suv's are a royal rip-off price- wise when compared to the xterra, one that is priced for anyone with two kids and a dog, regardless of their ses. this is the type of vehicle that you can drive like in urban areas the same way you drive off-road. afterall, what were suv's designed for in the first place? the xterra easily comes to mind above the rest...

Nissan Xterra buyer for life
By basta on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Xterra XE I4 Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Nissan Xterra is the best vehicle I have ever owned, I have driven over 30,000 mile in 6mo without any types of problems. I am a nissan buyer for life.