Used 2004 Nissan Xterra XE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Dependable
By Diesel

2004 Nissan Xterra XE I4 Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used with aprox. 20,000 miles, in 2006. Now has 80,000 in 2010. I have only changed the oil, the air filter, the head lights, wipers, and battery. Did every thing but the oil myself with ease. My good friend, a mechanic, recommended I buy an Xterra. I am glad I did. I owned a 2000 Frontier that never gave me a problem either, so I was happy to by another Nissan. I'd bet it has the same 2.4 litter engine, but geared lower. I removed the roof rack air dam for better mileage.

Favorite Features

The running board steps. I can throw my canoe on top, strap it down, and go to the river! 5 speed manual lets me save gas by shifting into neutral and coasting. Also, this car looks good in every color it comes in!

Suggested Improvements

I miss having a moon-roof, and electric door-locks. The tires are perhaps too big and expensive.

SUV that is really solid, not fake
By Joaquin

2004 Nissan Xterra XE I4 Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for 6 months now, and have no complaints at all so far, is solid like a rock, and very fun to drive. Is not like one of those SUV that look much more like a sedan on the inside, is rather basic and rough, but is still very quiet in the inside, seats are comfortable, and has a lot of pockets and compartments all over. AC and heater are great, factory stereo has a decent sound, manual transmission is smooth (for an off-road SUV) and looks fantastic, all your neighbors will notice it, that's for sure.

Favorite Features

It feels really really solid, is not bad on gas at all, nice inside and out, really responsive.

Suggested Improvements

Well, a few details here and there would be nice, but for the price, and the target of this car (off-road and outdoor sports and such) is perfect. I use it as a family car all the time, and is just perfect for me, my wife, and 2 young daughters.

A Bit Disappointed in Nissan
By Kim

2004 Nissan Xterra XE I4 Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Reliability has been great and it has definitely hauled a lot of items for me. Very easy to steer and turns on a dime. However, I'm very disappointed in Nissan craftmanship. Front grille immediately faded within 6 months. I was told by dealer that this was part of the "rugged" look and they wouldn't replace it. Seats are very hard and uncomfortable for travel. Windows have poor insulation - wind is howling. No mirrors even on the visors! Back seat doors are made for people smaller than a size ten (and younger than 50) to squeeze through to get into the backseat. But I guess you pay for what you get.

Favorite Features

Reliability, price, steering, hauling capacity (groceries, coolers, etc.).

Suggested Improvements

Passenger doors should open farther, better insulation for windows, better craftmanship on bumper and grille (fade resisitant), mirrors on visors.

Nissan truck disquised as SUV
By vixkix69

2004 Nissan Xterra XE I4 Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I like this XTERRA a lot. I have only had it for 2 months, but it is just like an old friend, specifically the old Nissan truck I had years ago. It IS very rugged looking and DRIVING. It feels every bump and curve in the road,but it keeps on going. It's a fun truck / suv to drive. Yes, the 5 speed is NOT powerful, but anyone knows that before they buy it (internet research).It keeps me from getting tickets! Its too cute for words and so far, I like it. We also have a Titan which is rated pretty low.But we like it,too. IT IS TOO POWERFUL!

Favorite Features

Exterior looks,roof rack,privacy windows,easy to park and turn in tight spots,small yet roomy enough for a family

Suggested Improvements

As we all think,"MPG!" but it IS an SUV,so there's no surprise there,right? There's a lot of road noise but hey, IT'S A TRUCK DISGUISED AS AN SUV! It's not one of those $40,000 things that ride like Cadillacs.

Nice Vehicle even as "bare bones" model
By Che57vy

2004 Nissan Xterra XE I4 Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought vehicle used with 39,000 miles. Now it has 84,000 miles. So far, only part replaced was thermal sensor for the fuel injector, A.K.A. "wax kit", which measures engine heat for the fuel injector through a radiator hose. Wax kit, dealer installed, was $230.00. Covered under accessory warranty (3yrs/36K miles), not under drivetrain warranty (5 yrs/60,000 miles). The 4 cyl/5 spd manual is nice and economical with hwy/city mileage almost always 20 MPG with regular gasoline. It's easy to work on mechanically, with a lot of extra room in the engine compartment. Rides nice and secure on the highway. The 4 cyl / 5 spd manual is an excellent value, even if purchased brand new.

Favorite Features

Body-on-frame construction, weighs almost 2 tons. Lots of metal body/full frame surrounding the passenger compartment, no "unibody" construction (because it is built on a truck chassis, and not a car chassis).

Suggested Improvements

The 4 cylinder engine would be nice with a little wider torque range; at some RPM's, there could be a little more "get-up-and-go", but this can be compensated for through downshifting to a lower gear (like "passing gear" on an autiomatic transmission).