2004 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
Fun Wheels
By peabodyg on 03/04/14 05:30 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first SUV, and fun to drive. A week after purchasing it, we had snow, the 4x4 makes it fun

Xterra has stood up to my bad habits, Great Truck
By plmr747 on 09/17/13 06:20 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle had been through the mill, I have put 250,000 miles on it and replaced the tires twice, changed the oil lots and now have to replace the rear shocks. Along with driving constantly in bad weather, I have towed very heavy equipment and up to 23' boats on a regular basis. I have the 3.3 in it which makes it a bit of a slug off the line, but the power is there when you need it. (well geared) While not towing I get around 28 mpg and can go from Kingston On. to Boston Mass. on 1 tank of fuel.

300,000 miles
By xt200k on 06/23/13 02:19 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra SE S/C Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

routine maintenance goes a long way nothing major brakes-rotors-belts-fluids and lots of gas and tires bought new 2003

Some X's are better than others, I wasn't lucky
By paraguayo on 06/18/12 19:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra XE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my X in 2004, at first everything went great. I have 167 K miles on mine and it wasn't a walk in the park. Where do I start, at 120k miles i spent 1500 dollars repairing the entire cluth assy. At 130 K the entire brake system went to hell ( another 1200 dollars. at 135 k miles the shocks went to hell ( another 900 dollars). At 138k miles or so 150 to replace the liner. Long story short...I replaced the compressor ( 900 dollars) , the water pump ( 700 dollars) , I replaced the radio ( 130 dollars) , the catalyst converter ( 900 dollars or so) , I had to replace the starter ( 800 dollars) . Now at 167 K miles , the only thing I haven't replaced is the cup holder..IT SUCKS!

Terrible Experience!
By sandra87 on 06/14/12 20:36 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I used to own this car and even though it's great looking and fun to drive, my engine blew... timing belt was ripped off and they told me they needed to replace whole engine! Just reading from other reviews I see this is a common problem for 2004 Nissan Xterra so just be careful when buying!!!!

Xterra!
By lancedotjpeg on 02/04/12 12:17 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

This is my primary car. I have owned the car only for a couple months. I really enjoy how the SUV is a manual, which makes it really fun to drive! The gas mileage is not too horrible, but could be improved. The car seems a bit basic, but I LOVE the 4x4. This car has been the best car I have ever had.

Great Mid-Sized SUV
By tobymcgee on 03/07/11 11:23 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Xterra SE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2004 Xterra brand new and it was a great car until a patch of black ice and a telephone pole last week. Very safe vehicle, as I was uninjured from the crash. I had racked up close to 170,000 miles without any major issues, just your usual suspects (brakes, tires, etc.). Engine and transmission were still running great. The only thing I had noticed was the heater/AC blower motor would only work on high (seems to be a recurring Nissan problem, I've had it happen to 2 other Nissans). Other than that, a great car! I'm seriously considering buying another one to replace it.

great SUV for the money
By shocker0513 on 02/19/11 21:37 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

i picked up my Xterra used in 2008 with 12k and now im up to 70k. i use full synthetic oil and so far maintenance has been super cheap. ive only done basic maintenance stuff with no repairs in 58k miles! the stock tires suck, but if you invest in a decent set of all terrains, this truck cant be beat for the price. acceleration is lacking, but you sacrifice giddy up for economy. ive gotten up to 20mpg out of this SUV no problem. AC and heater work great. 4wd is great. creeks, mud, water up to the doors. pulls through it all (if you know how to drive off road properly).

Xterra the best car ever
By javier on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra XE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my xterra new and use it for work and do a lot of driving . I have 210,990 miles and do all the required maint. Oil every 4-5000 miles. Trans fluid every 50k. Tune-up was done at 150k w/timing belt. Didn't need water pump but changed it anyway. Shocks (factory stock at 40k not that good ) but since then) kyb's no prob!The only prob is break dust on front rims, hard to keep clean. Breaks every 30k easy to do my self. Engine strong overall very strong .

2004 Xterra
By Tustinman on 08/18/10 00:11 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Xterra XE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I was lucky to find and buy this Xterra with LOW mileage, so far runs great and I love it and in excellent condition!