Used 2003 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

The Best SUV for the bucks
By Mikey Knows

2003 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Before I bought the Xterra I did a lot of research. I needed an SUV with 4wd that was under $30,000 that was big enough for a family of 4. The gas mileage for the V-6 is not the best, but if you want better mileage then you're stuck with a 4 cyl micro SUV with little cargo space.Cargo space kicks butt in the Xterra compared to other SUVs below $30k & the roof rack is SOLID TUBE METAL not flimsy plastic.I strapped lumber, doors, & other big stuff with no problems(Max weight is 20lb) You do have to remove the rear seat bottoms to have the seats fold flat,which is good and bad.The Xterra drives like a 4x4 truck,it is no where as bad as a jeep. But like a jeep you will never get stuck in snow & mud.

Vehicle size for the bucks. Roof rack.

Better upholstery and interior. Fix rear seat cushions so that rear seat fold flat. Better 4wd shifter (sometimes hard to shift to 4x4 while driving)

great SUV
By ARM2C

2003 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I absolutely LOVE my xterra. Everything from the inside to the outside. I love the way it sets up really high off the road. It makes seeing around traffic easy. I love everything...everything...except the gas mileage. I am trying to decide if I should sell it and buy something with better gas milage. I am so torn because I love my Xterra. If gas milage is not an issue... you will LOVE the xterra. I get about 15 mpg. I have owned 3 maximas and put 250,ooo miles on each.... So to me the name NISSAN says it all. The durability will outstand any of the competitors by far.....

the headlights, fog lights, RF stereo, interior seating, stearing, heater and a/c, sitting up higher than other SUV's.

gas milage and the back wipper has only one speed and it needs several speeds.

Great Truck
By Todd

2003 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

At first we were looking at the Jeep Liberty, but decided to compare it with the Xterra because it was priced about the same. I have to say that we are very happy with our decision. This is one of the better truck-like SUVs you can get for the money. I say truck-like, because its not fair to compare it to those car-based SUVs. It rides like a truck, sounds like a truck, uses fuel like a truck...just like a sport UTILITY vehicle should. If you're looking for a car-like grocery-getter, look elsewhere. It has been driven in 18" of snow on unplowed dirt roads in Pennsylvania and on snow-covered roads across West Virginia to Snowshoe Mtn. ski resort, and it performed beautifully.

Looks. It just looks like an SUV should (aggressive and rugged). Interior space. It has plenty of room for packing it full of camping, skiing, or whatever gear you've got. Roof-rack. Whatever you can't fit inside, fits on the outside. Stereo. Rockford Fosgate sounds great.

Better fuel economy would be great, but only if it didn't take away from the horsepower (a real challange). More comfortable seats in the front. My [body] needs a little more isolation from the suspension.

2003 Nissan Xterra is a winner
By Ramin

2003 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This was the first time I bought an SUV.My first choice was a Hummer but the price was too high for me. My second choice was an Xterra. I bought this vehicle because I believe it delivers what it claims to. I enjoy driving it a lot but the front seats are too small and not comfortable as comfortable as they should be. The fron seats leg rooms are not sufficient. The engine could have used much more HP. 189 HP is too weak for the weight of this SUV. Fuel consumption is very high for a vehicle of this size. So far I have had one recall and two minor service works done. I am told that 2005 model is a much improved vehicle. Will I buy another one? Yes,I will.

The exterior design, the size of the vehicle, the back seats (lots of room for the passengers), Loading capacity, reliabilty, use of regular gas, the price ( the best deal in the market for true outdoors men). Think Xterra before buying one of those ugly and cheap Korean SUVs. You won't regret it.

Larger and more comfortable front seats with more leg room. More HO and torque, quality interior and better gas mileage.

Big Mistake
By desertman

2003 Nissan Xterra XE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Thought I wanted an SUV. Picked Xterra based on looks. Hate driving it. Gas mileage is awful and it rides like the tires are made of metal.

Looks and towing ability

Suspension and gas mileage.

• SUV