Used 2003 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Xterra SUV

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Could not ask for more
By MLB

2003 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I have driven my Xterra for 35,000 miles and have not had a single problem as of yet. I would recomend this suv to anyone, it is fun to drive, rugged, and very reliable so far. The only detractor is the fact that an suv drinks so much gas. Although, the gaas is fine for a typical suv.

Favorite Features

I love the fact that this suv has been so reliable. I do all the maitenance and it is paying off big time.

Suggested Improvements

No real improvements that I would suggest.

03 Xterra
By Brian

2003 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

My Xterra has been a great looking, fun to drive, & reliable SUV. It's the perfect mix of weekend off-road capability and mid week commuting comfort & reliability.

Favorite Features

Great rugged looks backup up by real off road capability. This is not one of those minivans madeover to look like an SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Larger engine - Nissan already did this for the current model Xterra.

Good SUV if you like'm
By evilone

2003 Nissan Xterra SUV XE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

All my ratings we're based off of the several SUV's and trucks that I've driven from an Explorer, Expedition, Tahoe, Denali XL, Jimmy, Ranger, F150, C1500, and CRV. The Xterra is its own vehicle and that's why it shines. The mileage and highway driving are not fun. I fear merging with this car b/c of the lack of power. But the sheer massive truck presence of the Xterra makes up for it. The hard engine sounds and road noise from crusing at 65mph sometimes does bother me especially when I see my gas tank meter drop. Going w/o a LSD was a big mistake. Interior is shabby but its a truck what do you expect. Overall a good performing truck however, I'm starting to realize I like small cars.

Favorite Features

Truck driving feel and appearance. simple to use cd player. 4WD. 2WD fish tailing.

Suggested Improvements

better gearing? nicer interior. oh back seat that isn't in the clouds.

The Best SUV for the bucks
By Mikey Knows

2003 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Before I bought the Xterra I did a lot of research. I needed an SUV with 4wd that was under $30,000 that was big enough for a family of 4. The gas mileage for the V-6 is not the best, but if you want better mileage then you're stuck with a 4 cyl micro SUV with little cargo space.Cargo space kicks butt in the Xterra compared to other SUVs below $30k & the roof rack is SOLID TUBE METAL not flimsy plastic.I strapped lumber, doors, & other big stuff with no problems(Max weight is 20lb) You do have to remove the rear seat bottoms to have the seats fold flat,which is good and bad.The Xterra drives like a 4x4 truck,it is no where as bad as a jeep. But like a jeep you will never get stuck in snow & mud.

Favorite Features

Vehicle size for the bucks. Roof rack.

Suggested Improvements

Better upholstery and interior. Fix rear seat cushions so that rear seat fold flat. Better 4wd shifter (sometimes hard to shift to 4x4 while driving)

great SUV
By ARM2C

2003 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I absolutely LOVE my xterra. Everything from the inside to the outside. I love the way it sets up really high off the road. It makes seeing around traffic easy. I love everything...everything...except the gas mileage. I am trying to decide if I should sell it and buy something with better gas milage. I am so torn because I love my Xterra. If gas milage is not an issue... you will LOVE the xterra. I get about 15 mpg. I have owned 3 maximas and put 250,ooo miles on each.... So to me the name NISSAN says it all. The durability will outstand any of the competitors by far.....

Favorite Features

the headlights, fog lights, RF stereo, interior seating, stearing, heater and a/c, sitting up higher than other SUV's.

Suggested Improvements

gas milage and the back wipper has only one speed and it needs several speeds.