Used 2003 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews - 154 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Loved my X!
By nakeshamika

2003 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Great mom car! Back doors a little small, HUGE trunk area, great style. Built tough, I hit a deer going 60 mpg and had absolutely nothing wrong with it. No complaints about the look or feel of the car. My only single complaint was gas mileage, 16 hwy, 11 or 12 city. Just recently sold it because I couldn't afford constantly putting gas in it, but mine was super-charged so that didn't help. If you don't care about the gas mileage, then I would say go for it! Only had to be in the shop here and there for minor problems. Some day when I have more money, I will be getting another one, and I can't wait until I do! :) Just sold it a few weeks ago, already miss it like crazy!

Gas mileage

Improved gas mileage even just a little bit!

Top Of The World
By Nadi

2003 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I traded my 04 FX35 with 59k on a 5 speed,03 Xterra with 103k miles in March 2010. Did a major service with timing belt and the works then put a set of beautifully aggressive and very quiet Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trac 265/75/16 tires on it, drove it from Los Angeles to Moab,Utah for the Easter Jeep Safari. I completed the "Top Of The World" and "Fins and things" trails which are rated difficult with this awesome show room stock vehicle. This vehicle is absolutely impressive and I do not impress easily having owned a few "built" off road rides. Now back in L.A. and drive it daily about 50 miles in total comfort. I love my Xterra more than anything I have owned. Nissan has created a gem.

The truly functional roof rack. The user (service) friendly engine compartment allowing access to everything.

Cannot think of any.

Not impressed
By Paul99

2003 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

My main complaint is the engine and transmission. Reliability is good, only replacing the exhaust manifold in 85,000 miles. But the engine is extremely weak (I have SC model), and the 4 speed auto transmission shifts very rough. Engine takes 15 minutes to "warm up" before the engine and trans are even acceptable for use. The supercharged engine only performs well in dry 60-70 degree weather. I live in Michigan, and we rarely have dry 60-70 degree weather. If I ride alone and temp is optimal, the car is fun to drive, but if i carry passengers, its sluggish at best. Gas mileage is unacceptable for a V6! I rarely get over 13mpg in city driving even when i baby it! Highway mileage is no better!

Exterior styling, waterproof seat covers, roof rack, Rockford stereo is OK, gunmetal colored wheels on SC model, handling and ride is good, driver seat position, off-road abilities... Overall I love the looks and functionality and ride of this car, just hate the mileage and lack of performance...

Engine, 4-speed transmission(on auto), performance, gas mileage. Why didn't Nissan allow the V6 used on Pathfinder as option on Xterra? Sounds like the '05 and up models have fixed these problems, but I don't like the interior or exterior styling. Looks like this will be the last Xterra I own...

Fun and Dependable!
By Desiree

2003 Nissan Xterra XE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I never owned a vehicle more than 1 yr prior to the x-terra. The X-terra has lasted me more than 5 years & it's been a fun ride. I recently got in a car accident and totaled my x-terra. I was barely scratched & it kept me safe during the ordeal. My next car... an 2009 x-terra!

Versatility

Good enough to keep
By KP

2003 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Had some issues with the power windows and had them replaced under warranty. Still have occasional problems with it. Had a significant problem with the A/C, basically had it replaced only after 3 years. The first repair under warranty was poorly done by dealer. So, I had to pay out of pocket. I drive several hours at a time occasionally and would like to have a more comfortable seat. Fuel economy approaches 20 at 65 using fully synthetic oil. Needs a bit more highway merging power about 15-20% would do.

Large cargo capacity, with the back seats down. Great styling and not too expensive. good 4x4 capability.