2003 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
Not impressed
By Paul99 on 10/25/09 10:26 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

My main complaint is the engine and transmission. Reliability is good, only replacing the exhaust manifold in 85,000 miles. But the engine is extremely weak (I have SC model), and the 4 speed auto transmission shifts very rough. Engine takes 15 minutes to "warm up" before the engine and trans are even acceptable for use. The supercharged engine only performs well in dry 60-70 degree weather. I live in Michigan, and we rarely have dry 60-70 degree weather. If I ride alone and temp is optimal, the car is fun to drive, but if i carry passengers, its sluggish at best. Gas mileage is unacceptable for a V6! I rarely get over 13mpg in city driving even when i baby it! Highway mileage is no better!

Fun and Dependable!
By Desiree on 01/08/09 08:49 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Xterra XE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I never owned a vehicle more than 1 yr prior to the x-terra. The X-terra has lasted me more than 5 years & it's been a fun ride. I recently got in a car accident and totaled my x-terra. I was barely scratched & it kept me safe during the ordeal. My next car... an 2009 x-terra!

Good enough to keep
By KP on 11/13/08 02:15 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Had some issues with the power windows and had them replaced under warranty. Still have occasional problems with it. Had a significant problem with the A/C, basically had it replaced only after 3 years. The first repair under warranty was poorly done by dealer. So, I had to pay out of pocket. I drive several hours at a time occasionally and would like to have a more comfortable seat. Fuel economy approaches 20 at 65 using fully synthetic oil. Needs a bit more highway merging power about 15-20% would do.

03 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 4wd
By nikkinbrian on 05/09/08 18:17 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I bought my Xterra 2 months ago and I absolutely love it. I just happened to find an atomic orange one, at first I wasn't so sure about the color but after a little while it grew on me and now I even love the color.

Love our X!
By mistfairy on 02/29/08 22:29 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Xterra SE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This suv is fun to drive! It has lots of room for all your stuff, even when we had our first child. Infant and toddler car seats fit - but snugly. Unfortunatly the back doors do not open wide enough. It can be tricky getting an infant seat in and out. Has enough pick up and go to really move.

Love my Xterra
By april804 on 01/30/08 18:40 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I really love my Xterra. The only fault I see with this truck is gas mileage! I have had all of my service done on time, but gas mileage continues to diminish. We drove this vehicle on a 500 mile trip and got 11 miles to the gallon highway. I hate to get rid of my truck, but I'm gonna have to. It has been parked for 2 months because of the gas mileage. It's hard to pay for something you can't afford to drive. The major problem I am having is finding something that I like as much or better than my Xterra. There's not much out there.

Great small SUV
By jchipp on 05/24/07 21:17 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought it in Jan 2004, and have loved it ever since. The "stadium" seating in the back is great for passengers - it lets them see, plus it adds a cool exterior styling, which turned me on to the vehicle in the first place. The interior is pretty basic, but functional. I have had no major issues, with it, just a couple of things: I had a check engine light come on frequently, it ended up being my catalytic converter, which was replaced under warrantee. I also needed a front brake job at 35000 miles, which seemed a bit early. Other than that, the truck has been bulletproof. I only wish it had more power and better gas mileage.

No Regrets!
By tssawy2 on 04/07/07 23:46 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my SE 4X4 new and no complaints. Yeah, some people complain about the gas mileage, well, it's no Corolla but guess what no true SUV is. If you want great gas mileage, don't buy an SUV. But, I cannot say enough good things about this truck. It is good in city driving as well as perfectly capable in off roading situations. I get decent mileage about 19 in city, 25 on highway but I don't drive like a race car driver either. The interior is spare because that's part of the look. If you want luxury and 4X4 buy something else. Overall, I LOVE my Xterra and cannot seriously criticize it!

Great SUV
By RLF06 on 10/07/06 11:26 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this SUV to be able to get up the hills around here (VA) in the snow. Now have 91,000 miles on it, it has been great both off road, and in reqular use. Get 18.5 mpg in mostly highway driving. This truck is fun to drive with the 5-speed manual, and it does everything I expected. I have had no problems and would get another one in a heartbeat.

Nissan is a name you can trust!
By Darren on 04/26/06 08:21 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is Xterra #2 for me. My first was a 2000 XE V6 which I thoroughly enjoyed. I had it around two years and put around 30,000 miles on it before I needed money for getting married and buying a house. Now a couple of years later I've replaced my lost treasure with a 2003 SE 4x4 V6. There's really no difference inside except for the gauges and radio package. The Fosgate sound system is awesome and the sub really hits nicely. The transfer case shifts nice and smooth with easy transistions between 2 and 4 wheel. This X has really lived up to the expectations and quality that I know to expect from Nissan.