Used 2003 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Will NOT let this one go!!
By teague250

2003 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my 2003 Xterra since new in 2003 and I can't say enough good things about this vehicle. Eight years of ownership, driven every day, long trips, short trips, on light trails and pavement. Knock sensor went bad at 92,000 miles. That's it...........my only repair. Of course there is the standard replacements, like air filter, oil changes and brakes, but the knock sensor has been the only mechanical failure. Oh yeah, I got 74,000 out of the front pads and the rear pads still look great at 105,000 miles. My daughter is turning 16 in a few months and this will be her vehicle. I feel very confident that this vehicle will provide her with safe, reliable transportation for years to come.

Favorite Features

If your looking for raw power.....get something else. Engine lacks pickup but pulls my loaded trailer very well. My favorite about my xterra: -Very tight cabin. No rattles or squeaks even at 105,000 -Stereo is very nice, and I'm an audio freak -Suspension is fantastic. Those short, choppy breaking bumps on dirt roads......you don't even notice them -Braking is fantastic for such a large, heavy vehicle and pads/shoes have lasted forever!

Suggested Improvements

If I had to make an improvement to this 2003 Xterra it would be more power from the 3.3L engine. Like I said before, it has plenty of low end torque for pulling........but no acceleration. Maybe a little more room on the drivers side. Gas milage? When I bought it gas milage wasn't a big issue. 18 mpg was fine. 8 years later I still get 18 mpg which is a compliment to the vehicle, however, now at 3.79 a gallon........I wish it was better. Overall, I couldn't ask for a vehicle to serve my family better. I have no complaints at all. It'll be in my family until I have no choice but to let it go. Thanks Nissan.......you've earned a lifelong customer!

Xterra
By cogmeyer

2003 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Our Xterra new in '03 had major mech issues right away. Dealer would not admit the engine knock until 20K when it got really severe. Horrible experience dealing with dealer and Nissan USA to get new engine approved, they held the vehicle for weeks before starting work even though parts were at the local distro hub. This turned me off from Nissan forever. Also had bearing in rear diff fail at 8k miles, replaced under warranty no prob, but weird to have this many issues. Since, the Xterra has been quite reliable to current 90k miles. Several leaks (oil pan, valve cover) which are due to the eng replacement at 20ku, but nothing severe. Looks and runs great now

Favorite Features

Off Road cap, roof rack, great stereo, good reliability (after severe initial issues)

Suggested Improvements

Poor mileage (17-19 for a 180 hp eng?), poor ride (even by 4x4 standards - much better now with Bilsteins) Lots of rattles from day1. Wind noise.

Disappointed
By Disappointed

2003 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I have just over 99,000 miles on my Xterra, and I have already had to replace a cracked exhaust manifold and the supercharger. Now I am being told that the head gasket is leaking. I love the styling and capability of the Xterra, but I have been very disappointed by the reliability. I don't know if the 3.3 liter engine was not properly designed for the stresses associated with the supercharger, but it has definitely not lived up to my expectations.

Favorite Features

Off road capability; interior space; VDC

Suggested Improvements

Better engine reliability; paint tends to chip easily; better mileage

Loved my X!
By nakeshamika

2003 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Great mom car! Back doors a little small, HUGE trunk area, great style. Built tough, I hit a deer going 60 mpg and had absolutely nothing wrong with it. No complaints about the look or feel of the car. My only single complaint was gas mileage, 16 hwy, 11 or 12 city. Just recently sold it because I couldn't afford constantly putting gas in it, but mine was super-charged so that didn't help. If you don't care about the gas mileage, then I would say go for it! Only had to be in the shop here and there for minor problems. Some day when I have more money, I will be getting another one, and I can't wait until I do! :) Just sold it a few weeks ago, already miss it like crazy!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Improved gas mileage even just a little bit!

Top Of The World
By Nadi

2003 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I traded my 04 FX35 with 59k on a 5 speed,03 Xterra with 103k miles in March 2010. Did a major service with timing belt and the works then put a set of beautifully aggressive and very quiet Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trac 265/75/16 tires on it, drove it from Los Angeles to Moab,Utah for the Easter Jeep Safari. I completed the "Top Of The World" and "Fins and things" trails which are rated difficult with this awesome show room stock vehicle. This vehicle is absolutely impressive and I do not impress easily having owned a few "built" off road rides. Now back in L.A. and drive it daily about 50 miles in total comfort. I love my Xterra more than anything I have owned. Nissan has created a gem.

Favorite Features

The truly functional roof rack. The user (service) friendly engine compartment allowing access to everything.

Suggested Improvements

Cannot think of any.