Used 2003 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Most Helpful|
Great Truck
By Todd

2003 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

At first we were looking at the Jeep Liberty, but decided to compare it with the Xterra because it was priced about the same. I have to say that we are very happy with our decision. This is one of the better truck-like SUVs you can get for the money. I say truck-like, because its not fair to compare it to those car-based SUVs. It rides like a truck, sounds like a truck, uses fuel like a truck...just like a sport UTILITY vehicle should. If you're looking for a car-like grocery-getter, look elsewhere. It has been driven in 18" of snow on unplowed dirt roads in Pennsylvania and on snow-covered roads across West Virginia to Snowshoe Mtn. ski resort, and it performed beautifully.

Favorite Features

Looks. It just looks like an SUV should (aggressive and rugged). Interior space. It has plenty of room for packing it full of camping, skiing, or whatever gear you've got. Roof-rack. Whatever you can't fit inside, fits on the outside. Stereo. Rockford Fosgate sounds great.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy would be great, but only if it didn't take away from the horsepower (a real challange). More comfortable seats in the front. My [body] needs a little more isolation from the suspension.

x-terra
By kirvin

2003 Nissan Xterra SUV XE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

It is a great SUV. It rides really smooth and gives you a lot of neat features...but it still feels sporty.

Favorite Features

overall design

Suggested Improvements

seats could be a tad more comfy but overall I love it!!!

Love our X!
By mistfairy

2003 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This suv is fun to drive! It has lots of room for all your stuff, even when we had our first child. Infant and toddler car seats fit - but snugly. Unfortunatly the back doors do not open wide enough. It can be tricky getting an infant seat in and out. Has enough pick up and go to really move.

Favorite Features

All the add-ons - six disc cd changer, steering wheel mounted radio controls, optional inside bike rack.

Suggested Improvements

Open the back doors wider! Fold flat rear seats. Remove fuel cut out at 95mph.

Xterra
By cogmeyer

2003 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Our Xterra new in '03 had major mech issues right away. Dealer would not admit the engine knock until 20K when it got really severe. Horrible experience dealing with dealer and Nissan USA to get new engine approved, they held the vehicle for weeks before starting work even though parts were at the local distro hub. This turned me off from Nissan forever. Also had bearing in rear diff fail at 8k miles, replaced under warranty no prob, but weird to have this many issues. Since, the Xterra has been quite reliable to current 90k miles. Several leaks (oil pan, valve cover) which are due to the eng replacement at 20ku, but nothing severe. Looks and runs great now

Favorite Features

Off Road cap, roof rack, great stereo, good reliability (after severe initial issues)

Suggested Improvements

Poor mileage (17-19 for a 180 hp eng?), poor ride (even by 4x4 standards - much better now with Bilsteins) Lots of rattles from day1. Wind noise.

Cant WAIT to get rid of it!
By crzymomma

2003 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Nothing but trouble! For starters, the a/c sucks! I blow cooler air then my Xterra. We have had the a/c charged & it made the issue worse. It also doesnt blow hard enough for my kids in the back seat to even feel it at all. The sunroof leaks. Ive replaced the starter, battery, connector cables, timing belt, and radiator multiple times & we still get stranded. It doesnt crank 50% of time. Was told it has mechanical issues. Im waiting on it to catch fire!The front grey bumper fades & chips & looks awful! & the sad thing is, we just now hit 103,000 miles. The window motors are going out & the seal on windows leak and make lots of air noise when driving. I hate this thing! My kids hate it too!

Favorite Features

The only thing I really like about my Xterra is the cargo space. Even still with a family of 4's luggage and 1 cooler, we have had to tie extras down on the roof. Also, glad it has a luggage rack on top.

Suggested Improvements

Everything mechanical. Leg room, a/c, fan on the a/c needs to be much stronger, wider frame so everyone isnt so crunched together. Larger arm rest so Im not fighting with my husband to rest my arm! Stronger tie down hooks on roof (almost all of ours has broken!).