Used 2003 Nissan Xterra SE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Xterra SUV

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Cant WAIT to get rid of it!
By crzymomma

2003 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Nothing but trouble! For starters, the a/c sucks! I blow cooler air then my Xterra. We have had the a/c charged & it made the issue worse. It also doesnt blow hard enough for my kids in the back seat to even feel it at all. The sunroof leaks. Ive replaced the starter, battery, connector cables, timing belt, and radiator multiple times & we still get stranded. It doesnt crank 50% of time. Was told it has mechanical issues. Im waiting on it to catch fire!The front grey bumper fades & chips & looks awful! & the sad thing is, we just now hit 103,000 miles. The window motors are going out & the seal on windows leak and make lots of air noise when driving. I hate this thing! My kids hate it too!

Favorite Features

The only thing I really like about my Xterra is the cargo space. Even still with a family of 4's luggage and 1 cooler, we have had to tie extras down on the roof. Also, glad it has a luggage rack on top.

Suggested Improvements

Everything mechanical. Leg room, a/c, fan on the a/c needs to be much stronger, wider frame so everyone isnt so crunched together. Larger arm rest so Im not fighting with my husband to rest my arm! Stronger tie down hooks on roof (almost all of ours has broken!).

Love our X!
By mistfairy

2003 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This suv is fun to drive! It has lots of room for all your stuff, even when we had our first child. Infant and toddler car seats fit - but snugly. Unfortunatly the back doors do not open wide enough. It can be tricky getting an infant seat in and out. Has enough pick up and go to really move.

Favorite Features

All the add-ons - six disc cd changer, steering wheel mounted radio controls, optional inside bike rack.

Suggested Improvements

Open the back doors wider! Fold flat rear seats. Remove fuel cut out at 95mph.

Xterra Rocks
By Signs

2003 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I wanted tough style (didn't want people to confuse it with a family car), storage space (for weekend get- aways), dependability, and the feel of fun when driving anywhere. I got all four. My SE trim Super Black Xterra is still to me the best looking SUV around, with its brash and bold look and its shine when the Super black color is waxed, along with the tall charcoal wheels and rugged tires with the raised white letters. It drives like a Truck, which suits this TEXAN just fine.

Favorite Features

Tall, broad stature, and Rockford Fosgate stereo systems that ROCKS! Looks nothing like any other SUV. At 52K miles, all I have had to do is put gas in it, change the oil/filter, and try to keep it clean! Steering wheel controls rule! Can't live without them now.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, more horse power, but these are minor and the positives outweigh this by a long shot.

more power
By joelmart

2003 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

After one year and 12k miles, nothing's gone wrong. Pros: I love the rugged look of the outside, the big tires, the material of the cloth interior, the stadium type seating on the back. Cons: It needs more power (I guess they knew that, look at the 2005 X), intermitent rear wipers, the plastic console looks cheap and the roof rack, although very nice looking and sturdy, could use some more rings to hook up straps. Overall, I'm very happy with the truck. Look forward to the '05.

Favorite Features

seat material, the way it looks

Suggested Improvements

power, better quality plastics

Excellent
By ABarrote21

2003 Nissan Xterra SUV SE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This was the best purchase that i have ever made. Excellent choice.

Favorite Features

All of them are great