2003 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
I hate this car
By hatemyxterra on 05/12/13 11:29 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the car in December with 71,000 miles. I just put it in the shop for something (not sure yet), it was loosing power and slipping. It has NO power and the 4WD sucks. I got stuck in my driveway in 1 inch of snow for 30 minutes one day, and the tires are good on it. It's gotten stuck other times too. I've had nothing but problems with the car since I got it, and I did my research on it before I bought it, no mechanical issues before. It has none of the benifits of an SUV. Also, it is very difficult to shift gears. I have to force it into first, second, and reverse a lot of the time.

One of the best SUVs
By xterra_ep on 08/22/12 13:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Exceent SUV, if you take a little care of it: First of all change to Bilsteins - it will change your driving experience 180 degrees. Second, if you over 100K change timing belt, all other belts; watter pump, termostat. Third, make sure your brakes are good. Now you have a fantastic car - you have to invest a bit - but then you have a true 4x4 that will go anywhere, will start any time, and will drive and feel like brand new. Or much better than many brand new cars, suvs in the $20K range. My wife wants me to change my car to twice more expensive and more cool - I love this SUV - I put some sweat to it and it is perfect now! Love it!

Cant WAIT to get rid of it!
By crzymomma on 06/02/12 01:54 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Xterra SE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Nothing but trouble! For starters, the a/c sucks! I blow cooler air then my Xterra. We have had the a/c charged & it made the issue worse. It also doesnt blow hard enough for my kids in the back seat to even feel it at all. The sunroof leaks. Ive replaced the starter, battery, connector cables, timing belt, and radiator multiple times & we still get stranded. It doesnt crank 50% of time. Was told it has mechanical issues. Im waiting on it to catch fire!The front grey bumper fades & chips & looks awful! & the sad thing is, we just now hit 103,000 miles. The window motors are going out & the seal on windows leak and make lots of air noise when driving. I hate this thing! My kids hate it too!

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By masterelrond on 09/10/11 12:12 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Xterra XE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Last year, I got a job that required a long commute, and had to get rid of my 2003 Xterra. I really miss that SUV, by far the best vehicle I've ever owned. The only maintenance that was ever required was the scheduled maintenance, I never had a single problem with it that required fixing. It drove smooth, and was surprisingly quiet for an SUV. The V6 engine was very powerful, as we towed and carried many loads across the US without even straining it, there was always more power than we needed. By the time I traded it in after 7 years of driving, the paint was still perfect, the suspension was perfect, the engine was perfect, and the interior looked brand new. I really miss that Xterra. :(

Mountain Goat
By tommy2cat on 08/30/11 02:33 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I love this vehicle. Exterior silver w/brush guards, roof rack w/tray. Interior rare black leather interior w/heated seats. Kids love visibility from tiered second row. Rear compartment provides plenty of storage for baseball equipment, etc. Added Bilstein shocks to smooth ride. Adding catback & CAI to address substandard fuel economy & provide boost to slightly underpowered 3.3 liter engine. An issue, not a problem. Currently 20/17 mpg w/conservative use. Handles blizzards with confidence. Climbed NYC snowbank to create parking spot! Nissan should consider turbo diesel engine for this tree-climbing Billy Goat. Love it

Will NOT let this one go!!
By teague250 on 04/17/11 08:01 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my 2003 Xterra since new in 2003 and I can't say enough good things about this vehicle. Eight years of ownership, driven every day, long trips, short trips, on light trails and pavement. Knock sensor went bad at 92,000 miles. That's it...........my only repair. Of course there is the standard replacements, like air filter, oil changes and brakes, but the knock sensor has been the only mechanical failure. Oh yeah, I got 74,000 out of the front pads and the rear pads still look great at 105,000 miles. My daughter is turning 16 in a few months and this will be her vehicle. I feel very confident that this vehicle will provide her with safe, reliable transportation for years to come.

Xterra
By cogmeyer on 11/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Our Xterra new in '03 had major mech issues right away. Dealer would not admit the engine knock until 20K when it got really severe. Horrible experience dealing with dealer and Nissan USA to get new engine approved, they held the vehicle for weeks before starting work even though parts were at the local distro hub. This turned me off from Nissan forever. Also had bearing in rear diff fail at 8k miles, replaced under warranty no prob, but weird to have this many issues. Since, the Xterra has been quite reliable to current 90k miles. Several leaks (oil pan, valve cover) which are due to the eng replacement at 20ku, but nothing severe. Looks and runs great now

Disappointed
By Disappointed on 07/19/10 21:20 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I have just over 99,000 miles on my Xterra, and I have already had to replace a cracked exhaust manifold and the supercharger. Now I am being told that the head gasket is leaking. I love the styling and capability of the Xterra, but I have been very disappointed by the reliability. I don't know if the 3.3 liter engine was not properly designed for the stresses associated with the supercharger, but it has definitely not lived up to my expectations.

Loved my X!
By nakeshamika on 07/08/10 01:08 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Great mom car! Back doors a little small, HUGE trunk area, great style. Built tough, I hit a deer going 60 mpg and had absolutely nothing wrong with it. No complaints about the look or feel of the car. My only single complaint was gas mileage, 16 hwy, 11 or 12 city. Just recently sold it because I couldn't afford constantly putting gas in it, but mine was super-charged so that didn't help. If you don't care about the gas mileage, then I would say go for it! Only had to be in the shop here and there for minor problems. Some day when I have more money, I will be getting another one, and I can't wait until I do! :) Just sold it a few weeks ago, already miss it like crazy!

Top Of The World
By Nadi on 04/05/10 17:51 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I traded my 04 FX35 with 59k on a 5 speed,03 Xterra with 103k miles in March 2010. Did a major service with timing belt and the works then put a set of beautifully aggressive and very quiet Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trac 265/75/16 tires on it, drove it from Los Angeles to Moab,Utah for the Easter Jeep Safari. I completed the "Top Of The World" and "Fins and things" trails which are rated difficult with this awesome show room stock vehicle. This vehicle is absolutely impressive and I do not impress easily having owned a few "built" off road rides. Now back in L.A. and drive it daily about 50 miles in total comfort. I love my Xterra more than anything I have owned. Nissan has created a gem.