Used 2003 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews - 154 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Best car for everything!!
By Bobby

2003 Nissan Xterra XE I4 Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

In all honesty it is one of the best all around cars you can buy, and cheap too! The acceleration is not bad for what it is, the teams is fantastic!! I beat on mine all the time and if you do nessesitys to maintain it will hold up forever! Mine has 220,000 miles and runs strong, only repairs are on the clutch and breaks, very solid, pretty safe is you drive normally, surprisingly hard to flip! Reliable fun, relatively safe and 25+ mpg!!

Above average but very versatile
By rdf63

2003 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Xterrra is a SUV build on a truck base. Good parts of the car: Great room from the ground to the undercarraige which makes driving in the snow very easy. Huge difference in deivimg the Xterra XE in the snow versus a saller car. Excellent space in the car with 6 stereo speakers and multiple USB ports. I installed a JVC radio and it looks and sounds terrific. Kids can plug in cell phones or chargers anywhere. Also not a bad looking vehicle and used touch up paint very effectively. Overall paint has held up quite well. Bad parts: Timing belt at 105K is very expensive. Car can be shaky at times but you have to remember it is a truck you are driving not a car. Gas mileage is pretty tough. I am at 16/22 but can use regular 87 gas. Windshield gets foggy pretty quick and engine is not easy to work on. Well those are the facts. Its a safe car that can be used for a lot of things whether it be taking your kids and his or her friends somewhere to putting golf clubs or construction equipment in the back. It is very versatile.

I hate this car
By hatemyxterra

2003 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the car in December with 71,000 miles. I just put it in the shop for something (not sure yet), it was loosing power and slipping.
It has NO power and the 4WD sucks. I got stuck in my driveway in 1 inch of snow for 30 minutes one day, and the tires are good on it. It's gotten stuck other times too.
I've had nothing but problems with the car since I got it, and I did my research on it before I bought it, no mechanical issues before. It has none of the benifits of an SUV. Also, it is very difficult to shift gears. I have to force it into first, second, and reverse a lot of the time.

it looks cool

One of the best SUVs
By xterra_ep

2003 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Exceent SUV, if you take a little care of it:

First of all change to Bilsteins - it will change your driving experience 180 degrees.

Second, if you over 100K change timing belt, all other belts; watter pump, termostat.

Third, make sure your brakes are good.

Now you have a fantastic car - you have to invest a bit - but then you have a true 4x4 that will go anywhere, will start any time, and will drive and feel like brand new.
Or much better than many brand new cars, suvs in the $20K range.

My wife wants me to change my car to twice more expensive and more cool - I love this SUV - I put some sweat to it and it is perfect now!
Love it!

4x4 drivability is excelent can do a lot of DIY afortability

fuel economy

Cant WAIT to get rid of it!
By crzymomma

2003 Nissan Xterra SE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Nothing but trouble! For starters, the a/c sucks! I blow cooler air then my Xterra. We have had the a/c charged & it made the issue worse. It also doesnt blow hard enough for my kids in the back seat to even feel it at all. The sunroof leaks. Ive replaced the starter, battery, connector cables, timing belt, and radiator multiple times & we still get stranded. It doesnt crank 50% of time. Was told it has mechanical issues. Im waiting on it to catch fire!The front grey bumper fades & chips & looks awful! & the sad thing is, we just now hit 103,000 miles. The window motors are going out & the seal on windows leak and make lots of air noise when driving. I hate this thing! My kids hate it too!

The only thing I really like about my Xterra is the cargo space. Even still with a family of 4's luggage and 1 cooler, we have had to tie extras down on the roof. Also, glad it has a luggage rack on top.

Everything mechanical. Leg room, a/c, fan on the a/c needs to be much stronger, wider frame so everyone isnt so crunched together. Larger arm rest so Im not fighting with my husband to rest my arm! Stronger tie down hooks on roof (almost all of ours has broken!).