Used 2003 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

I hate this car
By hatemyxterra

2003 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the car in December with 71,000 miles. I just put it in the shop for something (not sure yet), it was loosing power and slipping. It has NO power and the 4WD sucks. I got stuck in my driveway in 1 inch of snow for 30 minutes one day, and the tires are good on it. It's gotten stuck other times too. I've had nothing but problems with the car since I got it, and I did my research on it before I bought it, no mechanical issues before. It has none of the benifits of an SUV. Also, it is very difficult to shift gears. I have to force it into first, second, and reverse a lot of the time.

Favorite Features

it looks cool

One of the best SUVs
By xterra_ep

2003 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Exceent SUV, if you take a little care of it: First of all change to Bilsteins - it will change your driving experience 180 degrees. Second, if you over 100K change timing belt, all other belts; watter pump, termostat. Third, make sure your brakes are good. Now you have a fantastic car - you have to invest a bit - but then you have a true 4x4 that will go anywhere, will start any time, and will drive and feel like brand new. Or much better than many brand new cars, suvs in the $20K range. My wife wants me to change my car to twice more expensive and more cool - I love this SUV - I put some sweat to it and it is perfect now! Love it!

Favorite Features

4x4 drivability is excelent can do a lot of DIY afortability

Suggested Improvements

fuel economy

Cant WAIT to get rid of it!
By crzymomma

2003 Nissan Xterra SE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Nothing but trouble! For starters, the a/c sucks! I blow cooler air then my Xterra. We have had the a/c charged & it made the issue worse. It also doesnt blow hard enough for my kids in the back seat to even feel it at all. The sunroof leaks. Ive replaced the starter, battery, connector cables, timing belt, and radiator multiple times & we still get stranded. It doesnt crank 50% of time. Was told it has mechanical issues. Im waiting on it to catch fire!The front grey bumper fades & chips & looks awful! & the sad thing is, we just now hit 103,000 miles. The window motors are going out & the seal on windows leak and make lots of air noise when driving. I hate this thing! My kids hate it too!

Favorite Features

The only thing I really like about my Xterra is the cargo space. Even still with a family of 4's luggage and 1 cooler, we have had to tie extras down on the roof. Also, glad it has a luggage rack on top.

Suggested Improvements

Everything mechanical. Leg room, a/c, fan on the a/c needs to be much stronger, wider frame so everyone isnt so crunched together. Larger arm rest so Im not fighting with my husband to rest my arm! Stronger tie down hooks on roof (almost all of ours has broken!).

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By masterelrond

2003 Nissan Xterra XE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Last year, I got a job that required a long commute, and had to get rid of my 2003 Xterra. I really miss that SUV, by far the best vehicle I've ever owned. The only maintenance that was ever required was the scheduled maintenance, I never had a single problem with it that required fixing. It drove smooth, and was surprisingly quiet for an SUV. The V6 engine was very powerful, as we towed and carried many loads across the US without even straining it, there was always more power than we needed. By the time I traded it in after 7 years of driving, the paint was still perfect, the suspension was perfect, the engine was perfect, and the interior looked brand new. I really miss that Xterra. :(

Favorite Features

Powerful engine, great stereo system, comfortable seats, plenty of space in the cargo area, lots of legroom, that awesome Xterra yellow!

Suggested Improvements

The reason I got rid of my Xterra was because it got 19mpg and gas prices were rising at the time, and I have a very long commute. That is the only negative I can think of for this vehicle. If it got 51mpg like my new Prius, I'd definitely still have it!

Mountain Goat
By tommy2cat

2003 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I love this vehicle. Exterior silver w/brush guards, roof rack w/tray. Interior rare black leather interior w/heated seats. Kids love visibility from tiered second row. Rear compartment provides plenty of storage for baseball equipment, etc. Added Bilstein shocks to smooth ride. Adding catback & CAI to address substandard fuel economy & provide boost to slightly underpowered 3.3 liter engine. An issue, not a problem. Currently 20/17 mpg w/conservative use. Handles blizzards with confidence. Climbed NYC snowbank to create parking spot! Nissan should consider turbo diesel engine for this tree-climbing Billy Goat. Love it

Favorite Features

Front and rear visibility, turning radius, off-road agility, reliability, manual transmission, interior/exterior storage, large center console, multiple 12 volt outlets, leg and head room, superior inclement weather performer. I like the 2003 model better than the 2005 model in appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy; however, this is a real SUV with a truck platform. Conservative driving habits & exhaust modifications eliminate the issue. HVAC/Stereo layout a bummer for in-dash DVD navigation unit. Nissan inverted units in 2005 & newer models. Nissan addressed performance in '05 models by adding 4.0 liter 262 horsepower engine. Would prefer a turbo diesel engine for the Xterra, which are available overseas. A TDI would truly make this the Uber vehicle for the new millenium.