Was a great vehicle until it reached over 100K miles
By xterra02sc on
2002 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)
I really loved driving my SE S/C 4WD 2002, and it was mostly problem-free except for last couple of years. One owner vehicle. Problems accelerated dramatically after 100K miles.
Favorite Features
Favorite features: Manual transmission. Lots of get up n' go (until supercharger problems started), nice looking black interior, quality exterior paint, the standard rims with the s/c model looked really cool but not too flashy. I had purchased the interior bike stand and used it a lot in the first several years. Really cool feature when traveling with 2 bicycles (keeps them secure). Interior (except headliner) held up very well over 11 years.
Suggested Improvements
I replaced more tires on this vehicle than any other car I've owned (costly) despite being used for street use only. The supercharger failed in FIRST couple of years but was under warranty; but even after warranty replacement the vehicle never felt as nimble & quick upon acceleration. After 100K miles the mass air sensor failed. Also kept popping out of 3rd gear constantly in last couple of years (transmission problems). Head gasket blew in last year of ownership. Interior headliner failed miserably; it fell down. Car was maintained well and garaged over lifetime but enough was enough. Became a money pit.