2002 Nissan Xterra 3.3L V6 Supercharger 4x4 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Looks good... rides bad

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Review

Looks good... rides bad
By quag_grenade on

2002 Nissan Xterra SE S/C 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

I bought the xterra with high hopes. I fell in love with its looks and was hooked. I knew going into it that it would get bad mpg and require premium gas but even then was surprised. I had heard 18-21 mpg or so... i was lucky if I got 15 average (and I drive 80% highway and very conservatively). However I was even willing to look past this fact were it not for the absolutely terrible reliability. In the six months I owned the car it cost me over $4000 in repairs! Twice it died on me on the road (once was camping in the woods 3 hrs from home). Bottom line is, only get one if you have a lot of extra money for gas and high priced, frequent repairs.

Favorite Features

Looks, supercharger provided enough power for an SUV. Good in the snow with the 4X4. The ladies liked it.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. Gas. Make the car easier to work on... mechanical bills were at least twice what they were for my honda ( the car i had previously) for the exact same repair.