Used 2002 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2002 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

A Pain
By Sara Lee

2002 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I love my suv! It drives awesome in the snow. I feel really safe and comfortable driving it. I feel like I can go anywhere. But since I have had it I had the wiring for my tail lights and dash lights replaced, at 55,182 miles my motor had to be replaced (crack in the block so on and so on), my exhaust manifold had a crack and was replaced, fuel sending unit replaced TWICE (factory recall). Check engine light keeps coming on and they cant figure out whats wrong. They replaced the wiring harness (wiring throughout the whole truck) but that wasn't it. Going in for one more try this week, while its being figured out Im looking at other vehicles to trade it in. Its been a pain.

Favorite Features

6 Disc cd changer, rugged looks. I put a grille guard, tail light guards, spoiler, rain guards on it. Was gonna buy some 4x4 tires and chrome rims but guess not now. Might buy myself a 07 Ford Explorer.

Suggested Improvements

I love everything about it. Except the mechanical problems. I hate the looks of the new xterras so thats why I decided on a ford. I love black suvs pimped out!

Dependable
By Tommy

2002 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

My wife and I like our 2002 Xterra. The first thing we did is replace the General tires with Goodyears. The engine could be stronger but it isn't terrible and it is super dependable. I've had to replace a $100 part under the hood in the 3 years we've had it. The one thing I don't like is the cruise control. When I set the speed it takes too long to engage. If I set it for 70 and take my foot off the gas it slows down to 65 or lower and then takes too long to get back up to 70. Very frustrating especially to the guy I just passed. Overall, I like the vehicle and I would recommend it.

Favorite Features

4WD, dependable engine/tranny, leg room, cargo space, first aid kit... not.

Suggested Improvements

Steering, road noise, trim pieces fade too much, sound system, cruise control.

Great & enjoyable car
By B. Murali

2002 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

After a lot of reserach we went in for this car. It has been a wonderful experience driving to various corners of US and in all different terrains. The reliability has been extraordinary and the drive was always a pleasure. Fairly low maintenance and running on regular unleaded have been great helps.

Favorite Features

The cruise control and the extra 10 cd changer have been the most favourite features.

Suggested Improvements

Xenon lights will be greatly helpful as well as head rests for the rear seats.

Great 4wd Beach Vehicle
By Tony

2002 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Just an fyi for any interested. I have been driving on the Outer Banks Beaches for almost 20 years. My Xterra is as good a beach vehicle as you can ask for. Avon, Buxton, Oregon Inlet, it will go... NO PROBLEM. 20 lbs of air in those 265/60/16's and this vehicle is great on the beach.

Favorite Features

4wd components.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage...

Great Buy!
By Jason

2002 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle has all of the functionality you look for in an SUV. Great 4x4 performance and ground clearance, nice features, rugged, and extremely low maintenance. In the course of 2 years I have changed the windshield wipers! Highly recommend!!

Favorite Features

4x4 performance

Suggested Improvements

Bigger engine