Used 2002 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Awesome!!
By Andi

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I absolutely love my Xterra. Driving thru snow is now a breeze since I bought my Xterra. I love it!! Best vehicle I have ever owned. Highly recommend this vehicle.

Favorite Features

4WD & the way that it looks.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any. It's perfect!

nissan exterra disposable
By sadnissanowner

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

after 5 yrs of maintenance, it now needs 5000$ worth of work just to be safe on the road. I have kept it maintained...costed more than my toyota tundra which is older and still like brand new

Favorite Features

looks

Suggested Improvements

total mechanical breakdown after only 5 years well maintained; mechanic says he sees this all the time

Car Saved My Life
By savedlife

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE S/C 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

Sadly I only owned this car for 2 months. I had an accident and flipped on a very dangerous road where I lived. People who passed by thought the driver would have died, but I only had a bruise on my knee. The roll ability was great and the cabin stayed intact (no denting in from the top or sides). I feel very lucky to be alive and believe the safety features on this Xterra are why.

Favorite Features

I had a 5 speed and loved that. Lots of space. SAFETY!!

Suggested Improvements

I would have liked it if the back window could roll down or open instead of having to open the whole back hatch.

Inexpensive reliablility w/ personality
By DesignerX

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 4x4 XE Xterra used in April 2002 w/13,000 miles on it, it had been a rental car. I now have over 90k miles and the truck is running solid, the engine and transmission feel tight and it still looks great. I've hauled a 3500 lb trailer about 3k miles. I haven't had a single problem with this truck. In my opinion the Xterra is the Civic of SUVs... it's not the quickest or most swank but it holds it's own especially for the price.

Favorite Features

Reliability, looks, seats are comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

The 3.3L V6 is a bit underpowered for the heavy truck so acceleration and gas mileage aren't stellar.

Best Nissan I ever owned!
By Mav63

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV SE S/C 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

I've had the X for 4 years now and couldn't be more pleased with it. The seats are very comfortable on long drives. The Supercharger gives it enough oomph to push you back in your seat. The paint has held up extremely well. People who have driven it are surprised on how nice it handles and how straight it drives. It is a bit rough, but what do you expect? I haven't had any problems mechanically. I replaced the stock stereo with aftermarket since stock sounds, well, stock! I take it in for service religiously and the service dept is always surprised how clean and new it still looks. I detail it A LOT! Just like they say, "everything you need, nothing you don't!"

Favorite Features

The S/C power when I need to pass, the comfort of the seats, the nice cargo space, the power jacks everywhere, the ease of dismantling for changing out the stereo and speakers.

Suggested Improvements

Replace the ugly A/C knobs. Make the emergency brake release easier to find.