2002 Nissan Xterra XE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

2002 Xterra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Sort Reviews by

Family of Xterras
By tex500

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

purchased this 2002 Xterra, 11 months after purchasing the previous years model for my wife. I have driven many miles in this Xterra, shooting photos at race tracks across America. It has has been down some of the roughest roads, and not skipped a beat. The (e)Xterior, when washed, looks as good as the day I drove it off the lot. I even use it to pull a cargo trailer at times. Before the trailer, we amazed ourselves at how much equipment we could fit in the back with the seats folded down. Highway mileage is about 18-19 mpg. Not what I expected when I bought the first Xterra, but actually an improvement over the 2001 model.

Favorite Features

The raised rear seats, and rounded headlights (vs rectangle in 2000-2001).

Suggested Improvements

My driver's door started making a whistling sound at higher speeds (80 + mph when air somehow gets through). The dealer said he would fix this under warranty, but I haven't been by, as I don't usually drive at that speed.

Nissan
By ringrose69

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Not bad but heavy on gas!!!

Favorite Features

Looks

Suggested Improvements

Gas

My Xterra
By Kaykamaka

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Xterra, but am thinking of trading it in for a new car after our recent ice storm. I know that all cars have problems on ice, but I could not even get traction in my driveway. I felt very unsafe in it even after the roads cleared a little. The noise from the road is bothersome while on highway. Should come equipped with rainguards on the window. Basic interior, awesome exterior. Really sporty and fun to drive. Hard to clean interior for messy drivers (like me).

Favorite Features

The exterior look, how high you sit, stadium seating in backseat, ample cargo room, temp. display and dimming on rearview mirror.

Suggested Improvements

Something to limit road noise (wind, etc).

The X-terrible
By negative slope

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I mean X-terrible in a good way like not bad meaning bad but bad meaning good (Run DMC). This is a fun to drive great to look at vehicle. Forget going over $30K for a few meaningless bells and whistles, this truck has and does all that those trucks do. Plus it looks tough, this is no Estrogen-UV like some of the other, wimpier looking new entries into the market. Keep those jacked up mini-vans and give me a truck with raised white lettered tires and aggresive styling. The dirtier it gets, the better it looks. Rock on in your X- terrible.

Favorite Features

The 6 disc in dash, the grey wheels/ luggage rack, aggressive styling. I knew I could depend on a quality product from Nissan, but the looks were the biggest factor in my purchase. This looks like the 4 wheelers I always wanted as a kid.

Suggested Improvements

5 CD cases fit in in the console and the player hold 6?, a place for spare change, intermittant rear wipers, better mileage, redesigned rear seats, make the tail a little wider to accomodate a piece of sheetrock do any automotive designers own a house?

Nissan Xterra
By MMR

fun to drive; always

Favorite Features

6 cd changer, 4 wheel drive, stick shift, controls are simple, easy to navigate

Suggested Improvements

lousy parking brake

Disappointed
By Amanda7

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

We have had this SUV for two years. This is a truck based SUV and therefore, not always a comfortable ride. The gas mileage is horrible and the V6 engine isn't very responsive. At 45,000 miles, air conditioning started messing up. It only works half of the time and we are still trying to figure out what is wrong. Very disappointed with the overall performance and reliability of this Japanese vehicle.

Favorite Features

Stadium seating....great stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

Longer warranty, better gas mileage. For a V6 gas guzzler, poor pickup.

Sluggish '02 XTerra
By SeaDweller

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Vehicle looks great and is fun to drive. The Solar Yellow turns alot of heads as well! It is perfect for my lifestyle with the real-truck features I need with relative comfort for its class. Not much pep, however. It is sluggish on acceleration.

Favorite Features

12V outlets, roof rack, wet-gear basket, high clearance, rugged look, solid build, and stadium seating in rear.

Suggested Improvements

Acceleration performance is less than average. Gas mileage is horrible - max has been 16mpg on Hwy (Rated 16-19). No pep for passing and sluggish on take off.

COMMENTS
By GLENREEDER

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

WORST VEHICLE IN MY 40YEARS OF DRIVING, WITH 12MILE TRANSFER CASE LEAKED OIL. HAD TO GET REPAIRED 3 TIMES.NISSAN SAID THEY NEW ABOUT PROBLEM. TOLD DEALER FOR ME TO KEEP DRIVING IT AND JUST KEEP PUTTING OIL IN. YOU BET! PULL OVER ON THE SIDE OF ROAD AND PUT OIL IN A TRANSFER CASE.BIGGEST BUNCH OF JERKS I EVER HEARD OFF. NISSAN IS AN OVER-RATED, LOSSY CAR COMPANY.

Favorite Features

STEREO

Suggested Improvements

TAKE OFF MARKET UNTIL YOU SOLVE THE TRANSFER CASE PROBLEM

Love this SUV
By cmontoya

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This SUV is tight. This truck does not lack power even though it's a 4 cylinder. It's geared for low end power so it's not too much fun in stop & go but I've proven it can climb hills with ease. Excellent control in snow without 4x4 also. I was already rear ended and slambed into the car infront of me. The car behind went under and only damaged the bumper. This truck is SAFE! I owned a Nissan truck before this with the same 2.4 motor for 12 years. 198,000 miles and it was a performer with no problems. Sold it to a friend and he loves it.

Favorite Features

Gear basket. Great for wet wetsuits, tire chains & more. Back seats are easy to break down. Headroom to no end. Stereo system needs no improvement.

Suggested Improvements

Back seats need adjustable headrests. Back seats are definitely hard. Have no complaints about the front seats. A trunk release would be handy. I have to shut the vehicle off to unlock and access the back since I don't have auto- locks.

mom43bz
By mom43bz

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

watch out for rear window switches abs light may not come on while it is malfunctioning

Favorite Features

room, many places to "stick" things, enough power sources and good cup size holders

Suggested Improvements

auto lock upon driving,