Used 2002 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
A Pain
By Sara Lee on 12/25/06 18:13 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I love my suv! It drives awesome in the snow. I feel really safe and comfortable driving it. I feel like I can go anywhere. But since I have had it I had the wiring for my tail lights and dash lights replaced, at 55,182 miles my motor had to be replaced (crack in the block so on and so on), my exhaust manifold had a crack and was replaced, fuel sending unit replaced TWICE (factory recall). Check engine light keeps coming on and they cant figure out whats wrong. They replaced the wiring harness (wiring throughout the whole truck) but that wasn't it. Going in for one more try this week, while its being figured out Im looking at other vehicles to trade it in. Its been a pain.

Dependable
By Tommy on 11/29/06 03:44 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

My wife and I like our 2002 Xterra. The first thing we did is replace the General tires with Goodyears. The engine could be stronger but it isn't terrible and it is super dependable. I've had to replace a $100 part under the hood in the 3 years we've had it. The one thing I don't like is the cruise control. When I set the speed it takes too long to engage. If I set it for 70 and take my foot off the gas it slows down to 65 or lower and then takes too long to get back up to 70. Very frustrating especially to the guy I just passed. Overall, I like the vehicle and I would recommend it.

Great & enjoyable car
By B. Murali on 07/18/06 14:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

After a lot of reserach we went in for this car. It has been a wonderful experience driving to various corners of US and in all different terrains. The reliability has been extraordinary and the drive was always a pleasure. Fairly low maintenance and running on regular unleaded have been great helps.

Great 4wd Beach Vehicle
By Tony on 07/06/06 10:48 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Just an fyi for any interested. I have been driving on the Outer Banks Beaches for almost 20 years. My Xterra is as good a beach vehicle as you can ask for. Avon, Buxton, Oregon Inlet, it will go... NO PROBLEM. 20 lbs of air in those 265/60/16's and this vehicle is great on the beach.

Great Buy!
By Jason on 03/25/06 06:23 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle has all of the functionality you look for in an SUV. Great 4x4 performance and ground clearance, nice features, rugged, and extremely low maintenance. In the course of 2 years I have changed the windshield wipers! Highly recommend!!

Solid SUV
By DesignerX on 02/12/06 10:44 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this 4wd truck used almost 4yrs ago, it was a rental car for the first 13k miles and I have added 57k miles. This SUV is solid... I'm not a gentle driver and have had no problems. This truck has endured 2.5 yrs of city driving (short trips and lots of stop and go) and over 4k miles pulling a 3500lb trailer. It's not the most luxurious truck, it's no speed demon and the mpg isn't any better than a Chevrolet Tahoe v8... but to me the cost of ownership, reliability and functionality does the trick!

Great car
By kaz on 12/24/05 12:15 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Great car to drive, great wd system, safe due to the ways it sits high

Very well-built
By xterra on 12/17/05 16:52 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is a very attractive and well- built SUV. The interior design is also spectacular. The trunk space is also a nice feature to have.

looks are deceiving
By daless on 10/30/05 09:53 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

looks great, but don't judge a book by its cover. Ride is fatiguing and don't even mention wet roads with the General Tires. Overall I would never recommed this vehicle to anyone....even my enemies. Stay away!

Just bought
By g_dearing on 09/07/05 14:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I just bought a used 2002 Xterra and I love it. I traded in my 99 Jeep Sahara, and although I miss the open top, the feel and look makes me miss the jeep a little less. It certainly drives smoother, and the stick is easier to manage. Factory sounds system is a heck of a lot better too.